Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

What sort of files does Stanza work with? PDF?

[edit]And FYI there is now a Google Earth app which is supposed to be pretty cool.

Stanza is pretty much a text-based ebook reader. I am interested in a good PDF reader, which will work files files you have loaded onto the device: i.e. without internet access.

here's how you do it: turn sharing on in stanza (making sure your iPod/iPhone is on the same wireless network as your computer), you open the PDF with the desktop client, you then go on your iPod/iPhone, open stanza, scroll down to the "shared books" tab, and the eBook you currently have up on the screen of your computer shows up, and then you hit download. the only real downside to the client is that you have to have the eBook open to share it, so you can't just share a library, but otherwise it works just fine. if the PDF doesn't format properly, you should be able to just convert it to an RTF using Acrobat Pro and import that.

now keep in mind that Stanza won't convert images in the PDF. if you need those, get AirShare. it costs a few bucks, but it will allow you to import PDFs and open them. for reading long term, though, Stanza is way more ergonomic than the built in native PDF reader.

Yup image import is essential. I shall check out AirShare, thanks.

man, i love stanza. now that i've gotten some *cough* quasi-legal *ebooks*, i find myself having read about 1500 pages on my iPhone in the last week. i used to read eBooks on PocketPC, when i had one, but stanza works way, way better than those old apps did. if amazon sold ebooks for iPhone, fuck, i'd buy tons. screw the Kindle, the iPhone is good enough, i don't mind reading on it for hours and hours.

Where's a good place to get ebooks?

I have used Audible.com for years. Works well with iTunes and iPods.
For audiobooks, local libraries can be a cornucopia o' fun. Unfortunately, not our towns. :(

Also for those wondering, in a head to head battle between the iPod touch anti-scratch screen and an average parking garage cement floor, the floor wins.

For audiobooks, local libraries can be a cornucopia o' fun. Unfortunately, not our towns. :(

Also for those wondering, in a head to head battle between the iPod touch anti-scratch screen and an average parking garage cement floor, the floor wins.

Uh Oh, sounds like you're speaking from experience.

This morning. Have a belt case with a rotational clip. For someone reason today it decided for the first time to auto-rotate. Now I'll buy another case to cover up the scratches. Still usable and only a few small scratches on the actual screen, but sides and screen borders look bad. I kept a BSE skin on the back, but left off the front because of scratch resistance and clarity. That was a mistake, but why oh why couldn't it have fallen on the back (or on the carpet six steps away)?

Such much for the resell, but I wonder if someone is telling me to get an iPhone? ;)