Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

wat are u people talking about? line out or charging?

line out is when you connect pins 1 and 11 together i think, there should be a thread on how to make it here or a post in this thread linking you to HEADFI talking about it.

its easy if you want to make ur own connector, or if your lazy like me have Germania make you one. I listened to her lod on my iphone at the event and it seemed good enough to me.

as far as charging the 3g is a question. some docks do and some docks don't. i have a cheapo dock at the bar that will play the line out but it wont charge it.

as to why you get the yes and no screen..

it acts just as a warning to you that the iphone may cause buzz threw the speakers, wish there was a way to finally turning it off in settings but i understand completely why apple does pop it up every time you plug it in.

i have the ihome alarm clock that i use to charge my 3g by my bed at night and it always asks the question, yet the bastard is approved for iphone 3g..wtf!

Checked out the wireless podcasting functionality on the 2.2 update last night. Pretty cool. I've recently put Sirius/Stern on hiatus as I'm giving various Podcast shows (This American Life, The Moth, New Yorker, Onion News Network, Selected Shorts, TEDTalks) a try for daily commute and this option, even with some requirements on wifi use for >10MB files and an unusual workflow, is definitely a plus towards keeping the iPhone/Touch filled with content. Great to grab a show for the road at the last second without starting up the computer. Give it a try if you haven't.

It's not so much the phone, as it is Colorado's 3g network. I am rarely realizing speeds noticeably faster than Edge anywhere I go. I'll be interested to hear your impressions, Naaman, as I can't get mine to run quickly in the springs no matter where I am.

Occasionally I flip it on when I'm doing something data-intensive in a heavily populated area (around Denver), and it seems to work well there. I enjoy having that flexibility, even if I pay through the nose for it.

I am also ashamed to admit that I like the standard headphone jack, and that helped make my decision :palm: Other than those two things, I really do prefer the 1st gen and am seriously considering downgrading. I'll wait 4 months until my wife's cell contract is up and give her my phone, though.

Also, thanks for the heads up, Grawk. I'll give ATT a ring and see if they have an update for me.

Apparently 1 in 10 3g iphones has SERIOUS problems in 3G. If you call AT&T they can do an OTA update that may fix it.

Do you have a link for this? A cursory google search turned up nada. I'd assume there would be some troubleshooting one could do on their own before calling ATT and complaining.

I can vouch that my recently purchased iPhone performs quite a bit better under 3G than Edge in the Bay Area. Thing is I do turn off 3G quite often as I'm around Wi-Fi for many activities and when I'm running around the automatically running activities (Mail & BeejiveIM) I could care less if they retrieve data a bit slower. Minor sacrifice for the increased bat life.

BTW, anyone else using BeejiveIM? I didn't think I'd ever pay that much for an app, but along with Byline (Google Reader basically reformatted), it's money well spent.

Apparently 1 in 10 3g iphones has SERIOUS problems in 3G. If you call AT&T they can do an OTA update that may fix it.

I'll have to give that a shot. I only ever get 3g over edge (With 3g turned on) in a couple random areas. At my home, at my work and at most of the shops/restaurants I regularly go to it kicks itself to edge. It's really lame.

I used to get better 3g coverage but it feels like with each update coverage just gets weaker for me. Even when I get 3g coverages for several of my friends when calling them 3g will just auto fail (Call Failed) for whatever reason and I have to turn it to edge just to make the call go through. It's really annoying.

It's not so much the phone, as it is Colorado's 3g network. I am rarely realizing speeds noticeably faster than Edge anywhere I go. I'll be interested to hear your impressions, Naaman, as I can't get mine to run quickly in the springs no matter where I am.

Occasionally I flip it on when I'm doing something data-intensive in a heavily populated area (around Denver), and it seems to work well there. I enjoy having that flexibility, even if I pay through the nose for it.

I am also ashamed to admit that I like the standard headphone jack, and that helped make my decision :palm: Other than those two things, I really do prefer the 1st gen and am seriously considering downgrading. I'll wait 4 months until my wife's cell contract is up and give her my phone, though.

Also, thanks for the heads up, Grawk. I'll give ATT a ring and see if they have an update for me.

My iPhone 3G network speed is NOTCEABLY faster than Edge. If I didn't have 3G I'd throw it against the wall, remote or no remote. :eek:

BTW, I did figure out remote for my Macbook even though I don't sync with Macbook - you didn't tell me I had to plug the phone into the Macbook the first time I set it up.