Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

The awesome part is now the premier site has them as sold out. Hope Steve and his factories can pump out a few million more of these in a month. Wonder if anyone has looked at the iphones impact on the earth from a mining perspective. These must be one large ass hole in Africa somewhere where the minerals for the chips come from.

I'm going to plant my old one and grow an iTree.

Mine got stuck because iTunes stopped responding after installing iOS4, but before syncing... I finally got iTunes to work again by connecting my nano then disconnecting and reconnecting my iPhone. The whole process took well over an hour. The worst part is that the two best features IMO are background wallpaper and multitasking... neither of which work on my 3G

I don't understand the fuss about background wallpaper. The display is already so cluttered by the app icons that I can't imagine using something for a background that isn't some kind of formless pattern. Certainly not a picture of anything. But I tend towards the simple...

ios4 keeps getting worse. It currently takes 5 seconds or more to simply launch the messages app. Letters no longer appear as I type but lag way behind and all of a sudden words just appear whole. Even the home screen is not nearly as responsive as before. Thanks for killing my phone, Apple.

I don't understand the fuss about background wallpaper. The display is already so cluttered by the app icons that I can't imagine using something for a background that isn't some kind of formless pattern. Certainly not a picture of anything. But I tend towards the simple...

Yeah. I preferred the old display without the background. There doesn't seem to be an option now to turn off the wallpaper. Folders are cool though.

wow, for once i'm not the one having the iPhone issues. happy happy joy joy?

Be happy, it's really bad. I just tried to call my wife so I navigated to contacts and selected her name, it took more than 10 seconds to bring up the actual contact information. And Ian witnessed how bad this was at lunch and can verify that I'm not joking with these time estimates. I'll try a full restore to ios4 tonight.

well, i do have an issue, i just didn't notice it at home: when i go from an area of bad reception to one that has good reception, it takes forever for my phone to reacquire a phone signal.

That happens with my 3gs on non iOS4 firmware.

That looks about right. No idea if the web might be marginally faster.

My latest annoyance is that my phone has been refusing for 2+ hrs to connect to iTunes to update apps. I've had to accept the TOS 3 times already, it would appear to be a wonderfully endless loop of update, inform me that the TOS has changed, accept new TOS, retry update, rinse, repeat.

Oh, and the 4th time appeared to be the charm with accepting the TOS. Here's to hoping it really works.

I simply could not get my 3GS to stay connected to backup and/or update to iOS4. Not sure wtf that is about, but it is not the first time my phone was quirky when connecting to our iMac. Maybe I should be happy if there are lots of issues.

I'll check back for 1 minute every 100 hours or so until this release hits 400 hours, and then I will try again.

Engadget review here: iPhone 4 review -- Engadget

Very well done review. The Face Time video is especially impressive. Really cool when the guy switches to the front cam to show his daughter.

Also,

In fact, we managed to squeeze more than 38 hours -- yes, 38 hours -- of life out of a single charge using the phone as we normally would. We're talking calls, some gaming, lots of push email and calendar invites, playing music over Bluetooth in the car, and just general testing (like downloading new apps, rearranging icons, tweaking settings).

:eek:

has anyone seen a wifi speed decrease after installing 4.0, my average wifi speed was 13Mbps download using Speedtest.net app using iphone os 3. now its 11.Mbps after iOS/4..funny thing is my iPad scores 20Mbps on the same G band at the same distances, though my lan connected pc scores in at 24Mbps average...i really hope the wifi speeds are better on the new iphone, i could live with 20Mbps on G! wonder if going to a wifi N router would boost speeds, anyone?