What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh...we need to do this...

We were lucky. Our lender approached us (unsolicited) and offered a program that had no fees, no appraisal required and most importantly no closing costs. Granted, it did not have the lowest absolute rate available but required no outlay of cash and very little hassle (paperwork). I don't think I'll ever feel really bad about having a rate of 5.125% considering the other programs I researched all carried fees and closing costs of $5k+.

Had a bit of a mental breakdown. Took problem to boss who made problem improve (much to his credit). We shall see how this works out.

Yeah, mortgage paperwork is one of life's very little pleasures.

I found someone to live in our house and look after our dog for the next two years. Big weight off mind.

Cheers to having some weight off your minds!

Bittersweet day.

Just got back from my first visit with a kinesiologist in an effort to recapture my health. Interesting. Less than conclusive. 2nd visit scheduled with the jury out so to speak. Allopathic medicine had failed me so I feel the need to search for a reliable resource elsewhere.

My son-in-law is a residential dry waller with a limited skill set trying to make ends meet in an economy (Michigan) with no residential construction to speak of ... and small jobs are not paying the bills. Dauther is a stay-at- home mom with 3 small children ages 5 and under. Daughter called a short time ago and their car has been repossessed. This was their only reliable means of transportation. I could give them the money, I could give them a loan to bail them out, I could do nothing at all. The question is how to best help them? At the moment I'm at a loss for the right answer. I'm already covering her student loan payments. The key is to find the answer that helps them both recover (get back on their feet) and learn how to take care of themselves.

Knowing what it is like in Michigan (in-laws live there) and from your description, it doesn't seem like tough love is really going to do anything by hurt daughter's family. Not having a reliable car in winter in Michigan seems troubling, but when you factor in 3 kids under 5 years of age it is downright disturbing. If you have the cash to help, then help. My 2 cents, not yours, obviously. ;)

Really tight spot Aimless :(, I'm not sure what I'd do in your place. Probably it depends on whether the car is new or used. Were it a new car, I'd probably just buy them a used one to pass this winter, and let the new going back to the retailer. If it's a used one, then probably buying it so belongs to me, but I'd lend it to them until they can pay for it. Depending on how the take the "lesson" I might take possession of the car, but I wouldn't do nothing. Not sure, the background story makes a big difference.

you won't find reliable resources outside of evidence based "allopathic medicine." did you see a real kinesiologist or a worthless "applied kinesiologist?"

Interested in your personal experience here. I'm ambivalent about the usefulness of kinesiology, but remain open to the concept. We can save a debate over the usefulness and failures of allopathic medicine for another day.

Knowing what it is like in Michigan (in-laws live there) and from your description, it doesn't seem like tough love is really going to do anything by hurt daughter's family. Not having a reliable car in winter in Michigan seems troubling, but when you factor in 3 kids under 5 years of age it is downright disturbing. If you have the cash to help, then help. My 2 cents, not yours, obviously. ;)

Really tight spot Aimless :(, I'm not sure what I'd do in your place. Probably it depends on whether the car is new or used. Were it a new car, I'd probably just buy them a used one to pass this winter, and let the new going back to the retailer. If it's a used one, then probably buying it so belongs to me, but I'd lend it to them until they can pay for it. Depending on how the take the "lesson" I might take possession of the car, but I wouldn't do nothing. Not sure, the background story makes a big difference.

Appreciate the thoughts. Antonio, as you noted, the back story affects the decision. The "in-laws" are enablers who throw money after every problem the "kids" get themselves into, and will probably buy a vehicle for them to use. I'm more the help the "kids" to learn how to handle their problems on their own type of parent. We are helping financially in some areas but are trying to get them to understand that it took effort to acquire the $$$$$ in the first place. Much harder than simply handing it over.

It's a used car currently worth less than $3000 with an outstanding loan balance of $4800 + fees. Easy business decision to let Honda Finance keep the car. Al's point regarding the children and dependable transportation has been considered and it is worthwhile to point it out. Fortunately they still have a vehicle that operates, they have both sets of parents 10 minutes from them and the hospital is 5-10 minutes away from a 911 call. Since I pay the phone bill I know they have phone service. They have food and shelter. It's simple enough to either give them a car to use or loan them $$$$$ to buy a vehicle, but I also need to think of how to help them learn how they got in this position as well as what they could have done differently to prevent this from happening in the first place .. if that's possible. Of course the hope is they learn enough from this to not have it happen again.

I can play Al Bundy from Married With Children and just dole out the cash. That's easy. i can also choose a different path that allows them to learn from what's happened. For those of you who are parents or soon to be parents one of my favorite sayings is "Once a parent, always a parent". The job is never done.

Appreciate the thoughts. Antonio, as you noted, the back story affects the decision. The "in-laws" are enablers who throw money after every problem the "kids" get themselves into, and will probably buy a vehicle for them to use. I'm more the help the "kids" to learn how to handle their problems on their own type of parent. We are helping financially in some areas but are trying to get them to understand that it took effort to acquire the $$$$$ in the first place. Much harder than simply handing it over.

It's a used car currently worth less than $3000 with an outstanding loan balance of $4800 + fees. Easy business decision to let Honda Finance keep the car. Al's point regarding the children and dependable transportation has been considered and it is worthwhile to point it out. Fortunately they still have a vehicle that operates, they have both sets of parents 10 minutes from them and the hospital is 5-10 minutes away from a 911 call. Since I pay the phone bill I know they have phone service. They have food and shelter. It's simple enough to either give them a car to use or loan them $$$$$ to buy a vehicle, but I also need to think of how to help them learn how they got in this position as well as what they could have done differently to prevent this from happening in the first place .. if that's possible. Of course the hope is they learn enough from this to not have it happen again.

I can play Al Bundy from Married With Children and just dole out the cash. That's easy. i can also choose a different path that allows them to learn from what's happened. For those of you who are parents or soon to be parents one of my favorite sayings is "Once a parent, always a parent". The job is never done.

I suppose the smart move is having a relaxed conversation with both "kids" to see if they've learned something, what are their plans, and knowing the real need of a second vehicle. Throwing money at the problem isn't a long term solution. If they're honest, aren't taking profit of their parents, and I had the cash, I'd probably buy a car that solves their problem until they have better income to afford their own, or can buy it from me.

Currently taking a break from sorting through all the LP's I picked up from that guy in the eBay auction.

Much to my liking, there are soundtracks included in this grab bag! I will definitely be keeping those. Lots of stuff I don't know, some stuff I want to check out, few things Im just gonna throw away, and some vinyl I have repeated on CD that I want to compare...

The man started laughing when he saw me pull up on my Mazda 3, saying no way I could fit all the boxes in there.

I barely did. One more box and it'd have blocked the right sideview mirror from view. Car was loooooooooooooooow from the weight. Fun ride back home.

Anyway, time to go sort evertyhing. I'll be making a list tomorrow, maybe.

Also, couple of duplicates on there too.

Everything needs cleaning though... =/

Went to bed around 1 am after gargling hot salt water to help my throat. Woke up this morning still sick, went back to sleep. Got up after 10:30 to have a snack, some fluids, and check head-case and head-fi. Head-case was down so I watched last nights tonight show. Went back to sleep shortly after noon until about 3:30. Ate and checked out the new head-case layout. I think I'm starting to feel a bit better.