What did you do today?

riceboy

Wow. That's good to know that it works on much older laptops. Also having that much free space than what your other Windows OS was before. What did you have installed before you installed Windows 7 (Windows 2000, XP)? Also, how do you like Diskeeper Pro Premium 2009? Any slow downs when the Diskeeper service is running in the background?

I had Vista Ultimate running before. The other big savings was going from MS Office Enterprise To OpenOffice.org. Still doesn't account for all of the space savings. I must have had a lot of hidden crap build up over the years.

Diskeeper is great. The auto defrag claims to not reduce performance (how is that possible?). I really have no point of reference as I was running DKP 2008 w/ Vista and W7 is so much better.

Which island do you live on Riceboy? I lived on Kauai for about 7yrs in the 80's.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ran a bunch of errands including picking up my two bits of McIntosh tube kit from the repair shop (pictures Real Soon Now). Managed to get home in time to grab my camera and get a few shots of the fleeting sunset. Discovered that the refurb'd PSU I got from PC Power & Cooling as replacement for my dead unit is also dead. :mad: Re-installed my old 420W supply. Spent two effing hours futzing with the IDE cables, jumpers, power connectors and bios settings before I had a machine that would boot from CD and recognize the new system drive. Now I am listening to a techno mix a friend sent me and editing HDR images while I wait for the the Windows installer to finish formatting the drive.

Read 6 papers and a chunk of a book. Understood 4 of them, I think. Wrote a bit on my dissertation. Hoovered downstairs. Did some ironing. Drew the plans for the AMT housing after I found some graph paper. Ate 2 lots of cheese on toast. Got my webhosting bill in.

I had Vista Ultimate running before. The other big savings was going from MS Office Enterprise To OpenOffice.org. Still doesn't account for all of the space savings. I must have had a lot of hidden crap build up over the years.

Diskeeper is great. The auto defrag claims to not reduce performance (how is that possible?). I really have no point of reference as I was running DKP 2008 w/ Vista and W7 is so much better.

Which island do you live on Riceboy? I lived on Kauai for about 7yrs in the 80's.

Thanks for the response :). I've been using Diskeeper for several years and whether it helps with or without it I'm not sure any more. I was going to disable the service for a week and not install or change anything on my system to see how much it helps but haven't got around to doing that for a long time :palm:

I live on Oahu. I like Kauai as it is a laid back environment and it is very beautiful. I haven't been to Kauai in a while (over 15 years), but I'm sure it changed just a little bit in regards to big retail stores open there. I remembered when I was there stores were closed at 5:00 or 6:00 pm.

Got a letter.

"Dear Toole,

Thank you for the time and effort you spent recently in our selection process for Probationary Police Officer.

We interviewed many applicants in the job search process. Unfortunately, we hired another individual whose credentials and qualifications were better suited for our needs.

We thank you for your interest in employment with our Police Department and County Government and we wish you success in reaching your professional goals.

Sincerely,"

:(

Got a letter.

"Dear Toole,

Thank you for the time and effort you spent recently in our selection process for Probationary Police Officer.

We interviewed many applicants in the job search process. Unfortunately, we hired another individual whose credentials and qualifications were better suited for our needs.

We thank you for your interest in employment with our Police Department and County Government and we wish you success in reaching your professional goals.

Sincerely,"

:(

Ugh, sorry to hear that, it sucks. I received many similar letters while in law school. Things will work out for you in the end. But in the meantime, here's a little humorous response to such letters that has been floating around the interwebs for some time:

Herbert A. Millington

Chair - Search Committee

412A Clarkson Hall, Whitson University

College Hill, MA 34109

Dear Professor Millington,

Thank you for your letter of March 16. After careful consideration, I

regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me

an assistant professor position in your department.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually

large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field

of candidates, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite Whitson's outstanding qualifications and previous experience in

rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs at

this time. Therefore, I will assume the position of assistant professor

in your department this August. I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

Sincerely,

Thanks for the response :). I've been using Diskeeper for several years and whether it helps with or without it I'm not sure any more. I was going to disable the service for a week and not install or change anything on my system to see how much it helps but haven't got around to doing that for a long time :palm:

I live on Oahu. I like Kauai as it is a laid back environment and it is very beautiful. I haven't been to Kauai in a while (over 15 years), but I'm sure it changed just a little bit in regards to big retail stores open there. I remembered when I was there stores were closed at 5:00 or 6:00 pm.

Yeah, not to mention the hurricane. I stayed on Poi Pu beach for a while then saw it get wipped out by the 'cane. Bummer

Yeah, not to mention the hurricane. I stayed on Poi Pu beach for a while then saw it get wipped out by the 'cane. Bummer

Yeah. That was a major bummer. To think that hurricane was headed for Oahu and then it turned toward Kauai. Those were hard times for a bunch of folks.

That is a drag, Colin, but I definitely hope you keep up the PD job search longer. I hate to sound unpatriotic, and in no way wish to denigrate those who serve, but I would hate to see you join the military as a fallback at this particular point in history. Hang in there and something will work out soon.

Went wine tasting and apple cider tasting in the cayuga wine trail (I was slightly tipsy at this point). Ate at awesome mexican place in ithaca. got hammered with margaritas while waiting for a table. Fun day overall.

Curious what Mexican restaurant it was. When my wife was in grad school at Cornell we went to a Mexican place that had the greatest Buffalo wings, oddly enough. Might have been Mexicali Rose or something, but she is not here to remember for me. ;D