What did you do today?

riceboy

I remembered you went there Saturday night @ dinner... Got back to the hotel and promptly fell asleep before I could shoot a PM your way!

Man, that 6 1/2 hr bus trip is brutal!

ahh, maybe next time

or maybe not, since I'm graduating this semester :(

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back, yall. Semester is winding down. I have a paper deadline on friday, then things chill out to more like 50 hours/week. It is a very welcome break.

To celebrate, (ok it really wasn't in celebration), I had a nice talk with the family jeweler.

I picked up a D, IF, A+ cut (internal rating) 1 carat diamond with an 14k white gold setting.

You're just jealous that you didn't get any sugar.

I'm back, yall. Semester is winding down. I have a paper deadline on friday, then things chill out to more like 50 hours/week. It is a very welcome break.

To celebrate, (ok it really wasn't in celebration), I had a nice talk with the family jeweler.

I picked up a D, IF, A+ cut (internal rating) 1 carat diamond with an 14k white gold setting.

Intended application? Nose ring/prince albert?

No, seriously, congrats.

The only rollover the IRS understands is what they expect you to do. :mad:

Which is why they send these things out. No significant cost to them so even if only a small percentage roll-over, they make out like the bandits they are.

Last week I lost 2 of the fan speed settings on my Jeep's HVAC. A little research showed that it's a common failure of the blower motor resistor block. $18 part, but it's tucked up behind the dash on a duct, and not easy to access. I'd say it ended up taking the better part of 40 minutes to remove the glove box, remove the under-dash light, remove 2 screws, unplug the harness and swap out the part and put everything back together. Maddening!

That said, it is a pretty cool design... The resistors get so hot that they mount it to the duct, with the resistors actually in the air duct. That keeps things cool. Unfortunately the part still isn't up to the task and fails often. The fix is to add relays to the back of the fan controls which prevent the resistors from seeing too much current. Maybe I'll give that a shot sometime this summer.

Stopped by a small local "audiophile" retailer because I had seen a "Demo Sale" sign in the window. Figured why not, I'll probably snatch up yet another DAC if tempted. Store guy (possibly owner) couldn't care less. Generally waved at the stuff on sale (DVD players and some speakers) and looked out the window. He wasn't nasty, just didn't make any effort whatsoever. I know it can't be fun to be a high-end audio retailer these days, but this treatment is not new. I didn't roll up in a Bentley, but I was wearing a suit and presumably looked like I could buy at least one thing in the store.

Are the margins so narrow that these guys really only care about 5-6 figure sales? If that's the business model, so be it. If not, I don't get the attitude.

So I pissed all over the windows.