What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bastard. I should have turned on our hot tub this year. :palm:

that looks like a good time.

Chris -- total win on that. Take that, Mother Nature! Bitch!

hot tubs were all the rage in fairbanks in feb. Sitting in the hot tub, enjoying the auroras at -20F

:dan:

Totally worth the 10-20 minutes of shoveling to get it all setup. Our hot tub was one of the better impulse buys we have made. Though since this unit doesn't have a classical heater but instead warms up gradually (very insulated, only about $10 a month to run), I have up the heat so it starts out a bit warmer to begin with.

Spent a while today researching DSLR's. I am thinking of getting a D90 with the 18-105 VR lens. I am thinking that a D90 might be overkill for me and may end up going with a D40 though. I probably won't order it for another couple of months so I lot of time to go back and forth. :)

Also, did my first non-internet Christmas shopping of the year - wasn't too bad.

Spent a while today researching DSLR's. I am thinking of getting a D90 with the 18-105 VR lens. I am thinking that a D90 might be overkill for me and may end up going with a D40 though. I probably won't order it for another couple of months so I lot of time to go back and forth. :)

Also, did my first non-internet Christmas shopping of the year - wasn't too bad.

I've been doing this for a week or more, still can't decide.

Let me know what you decide. I probably don't ``need'' anything more than D40 and decent lens/flash but...

I've been looking at Canon, from the XT1 to 50D to 7D to 5D. All of them are more than I need or know how to use.

Maybe pm Irondreamer? He seems very up on the digital camera thing as well as Edwood.

Probably a good idea.

I would definitely suggest you go around and try the various bodies out with the lenses you foresee using with them. It is amazing how different various bodies by the same manufacturer feel in actual use. I currently use both a Nikon D200 and a D50 one for its balance (D200) and one for its (light) weight (D50).

IMHO, the D90 is well worth it for the bigger, brighter viewfinder alone. The other stuff is just gravy.

I spent a few completely pointless hours at work, came home to sleep off a headache, and worked on my Buffalo DAC. Its so very, very close now...... but I'm so very, very tired...... :)

The D90 isn't that much more than the D40 if I upgrade the lens to the 18-105 VR lens with the D40. The one thing that is puling me to the D40 is that it is smaller and lighter than the D90. Guess I just need to get out and hold them in my hand to find out which feels best. The larger/brighter viewfinder does seem like something that I would really enjoy in the end.

I bought a 30D after the 40D came out and am more than happy with it so far. Having held the 30D and then the XTi/XS series of bodies, it just didn't feel right. Cramped and cheap come to mind. I have pretty small hands, but the cheap comes from the predominantly plastic body and light weight IMO. I liked how the 30D had some heft. I've held some of the Nikons but felt that the Canon body fit in my hand more naturally. Dunno if that helps... Also the newer sensors with the crazy high number of pixels isn't necessary better because I think it's doing something akin to upscaling. Some of the other more camera savvy people can correct me if I'm wrong.