What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nate: Glad everything got worked out.

Brent: Congrats!!!!

My day has been filled with math talks, a BBQ, and finally finding some time to catch up on the Case. :)

You've been away too long, and violated the single "congrat" rule that Tice put into place. 5 demerit.

:)

In more fun news I finally got to try the big mill tonight in its role as precision round hole cutter accessory. In doing dome final testing of Al's BHse I decided that I wanted to add a bit more ventilation to the power supply chassis. This previously would have meant hours of layout, punch, drill, redrill, redrill again to add the roughly 30 or so holes that I wanted to do. I got the piece setup on the mill in about 10 minutes and a little over a half hour later I was done. Mill/drill FTMFW!

I spent 2+ hours in a meeting, with a group of people who usually are very efficient -- I actually usually don't mind going to meetings with them, because they're usually (a) useful, and (B) short. This was still useful, but...JESUS CHRIST, 2+ HOURS?!?!? My stamina is shot to hell from atrophy, so they got to go straight to the marathon? I am so spoiled.

I know it won't make you feel any better but glacial is the default speed of every academic institution I have been associated or dealt with. Eventually, they do get the job done.

It's reassuring that this phenomenon seems not to be a speciality of Leicester University. I'm sure it does not help with it being during vacation season - if the papers are in someone's in-tray and then they go for two weeks holiday - that is where the papers stay.

That's awesome Nate! And not just because it benefits me. It also eases my guilt level. Er, I mean, it is cool that the mill works so well and makes you a more efficient retired builder! :)

I freely admit to giggling like a little girl while working and also wondering what exactly my hesitation was in buying something like this in the past. Jebus, the number of hours wasted using the wrong tool for the job. :palm:

Congrats on the mill usage and on the job switch proceeding as planned Nate. I'm sure that was a bit odd on Thursday.

Vicki: glad that the NSAID is working; that is good news. When I was going thru my hip(s), I was taking diclofenac sodium, and it helped, but wasn't what I would call awesome. I looked into resurfacing but my ortho recommended against it; these things seem to come into/fall out of favor.

And Brent, congrats on the job.

Power outages are good - makes you get back to the basics of life. Food, sleeping and sex - not necessarily in that order. And possibly a bit of booze thrown in for good measure.

Not sure what kind of job you have, Craig, but if the "basics" are food, sleep, sex, and booze then I wanna do what you do when I grow up!