What did you do today?

riceboy

Funny. A day after, and I have a bit more perspective. I guess these things happen ... two TRUE stories about my former office partner:

He told me once that he drove off from a gas station with the hose still in his tank. He was driving down the street when another driver pulled up gesturing wildly to pull over. He got really irritated . . . .

Annoyed, he finished his hair cut, answered his page, heard the story, couldn't believe it, but drove back to the office and finally confirmed the woman's story. . . .

Your former office partner is easily annoyed. I like that.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Switching from Comcast to Direct TV, saving about $50/month. Switching Comcast internet to ATT dsl, saving maybe $10/month.

Nice. I really wish we had better option here than Comcast.

EDIT - Just found out FiOS is finally available in my town. I think I'll be switching to them.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Direct TV claims that the satellite does not go out when it rains, like it used to when I had it, more than 7 years ago. I've never been happy with the picture quality of cable in HD. I'm hoping DTV is better. I also hope that my dsl is not significantly slower than cable internet. My neighborhood is fiber optic, which was a big deal at the time but now, because of that, I can't get the fastest dsl att has available. I am told they are working on upgrades that will change that but it's been the same story for a year or two.

I haven't actually had satellite tv, just heard rumors about bad service during storms. By the way, $60/month savings is pretty huge. Our total bill with HDTV and internet + taxes is almost exactly $100/month. (Oh, I guess you must have a premium package.)

By the way, I am not in love with Comcast or Comcast service, I am just too lazy to change.

With 4 tv's all with dvr's and HD, it's about $200/month + whatever they charge for cable internet. I have HBO/Cinemax with Comcast and now I will have all the premium stations and NFL Ticket. I do not need the NFL ticket but with the current promotion, it comes out to a better deal. Plus, I save about $100/month for the first 5 months of service.

My folks have had some form of satellite TV (both Direct TV and Dish TV) for over a decade and I can confirm that their service/reception during inclement weather has vastly improved. A lot of it has to do with your location, as well as installation, of course.

On a related note, I've figured out that I can get more stuff out of FiOS than Comcast (but not same amount stuff for cheaper) so I'll be switching over to FiOS soon.

i'm at around $100/mo. for Comcast w/ as many HD channels as I can get, which really isn't that many. i call in once a year and threaten to cancel unless I get a promotion. last year, got it knocked down to $50/mo. This year, all i got was free HBO. they have me by the balls because I can't switch to satellite

I love my comcast. I'm internet only, of course, but still. I get speeds I'm happy with, they don't gouge me (compared to my other options), and it has not gone down once in the 18 months I've been using it. I moved over 1 terrabyte of data in the month of June, with nary a peep from them.

If only, Comcast has now instituted a 250GB/month cap here, now :( so whats a boy to do?

893208288.png

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3406[/ATTACH]

:)

You have no idea how lucky you guys are to have a choice. Where I live the same company owns the Phone, cable, and cable Internet providers (PenTelData) WORST service and prices anywhere, I fantasize about how good Comcast is.

Fastest (Best) cable Internet - $70/month 13 Meg down and about 1.5 up, but get this a limit on primetime data usage (5pm - 1am) of only 50 GB (less with cheaper plans) and NO provision to pay for extra usage. That means that if you go over they make you get a commercial account (which for 13 Meg/1.5 Meg and over 50 gig is literally Many hundreds of dollars).

I will eventually be forced to move because of how fucked up PenTelData is, they are that bad.

You have no idea how lucky you guys are to have a choice. Where I live the same company owns the Phone, cable, and cable Internet providers (PenTelData) WORST service and prices anywhere, I fantasize about how good Comcast is.

Fastest (Best) cable Internet - $70/month 13 Meg down and about 1.5 up, but get this a limit on primetime data usage (5pm - 1am) of only 50 GB (less with cheaper plans) and NO provision to pay for extra usage. That means that if you go over they make you get a commercial account (which for 13 Meg/1.5 Meg and over 50 gig is literally Many hundreds of dollars).

I will eventually be forced to move because of how fucked up PenTelData is, they are that bad.

We have an arcane system in the UK. In general ISP's use the BT network - so you need a BT line, which you pay line rental on. The speed of that line is location dependent. Although BT heavily advertise that their broadband connection speed is huge, we are more than the critical 4km from the exchange - so our max speed is 1.5Meg - regardless of how fast your ISP package is. And that is near Oxford - we are not out in the sticks.

The alterative is to go to Virgin, who have an installed base of fibre. They supply up to 50Meg with unlimited downloads. But in the small print they say that bandwidth will be limited between 4pm and 9pm and 10am to 3pm to ensure "a consistent user experience". In other words, during normal working hours, only 9am to 10am and 3pm to 4pm are full bandwidth. Plus it ties you to Virgin as an ISP. But it is

We have an arcane system in the UK. In general ISP's use the BT network - so you need a BT line, which you pay line rental on. The speed of that line is location dependent. Although BT heavily advertise that their broadband connection speed is huge, we are more than the critical 4km from the exchange - so our max speed is 1.5Meg - regardless of how fast your ISP package is. And that is near Oxford - we are not out in the sticks.

The alterative is to go to Virgin, who have an installed base of fibre. They supply up to 50Meg with unlimited downloads. But in the small print they say that bandwidth will be limited between 4pm and 9pm and 10am to 3pm to ensure "a consistent user experience". In other words, during normal working hours, only 9am to 10am and 3pm to 4pm are full bandwidth. Plus it ties you to Virgin as an ISP. But it is

Sold off all my stock at sharebuilder, intending to move to my new Ameritrade account. Can't buy stocks I want at sharebuilder. Apparently sharebuilder is still entitled to my monies for another 3 days.

Funded Ameritrade account with some other monies. Apparently Ameritrade is entitled to my monies for 3 days before it can be used for non-marginal securities.

Oh and when I sold my sharebuilder stuff for the sole purpose of moving to Ameritrade, it went up 20% afterwards.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Fuck sharebuilder and its surcharges to 'risky' stocks at time of purchase and time of sale. Fucking shit-ass brokerage. Fuck.

My new Seagate Momentus XT hybrid SS HD arrived a couple of days ago and I've been using it in my MacBook Pro. However, today, while running SuperDuper! which clones my HD to another in an external case, the external got disconnected by accident, so SuperDuper! filled up the main HD by continuing to write files to the external's mount point on the main hard drive. I decided to reboot to kill off some gigs of swap files, but my MacBook Pro wouldn't even give a welcome chime on reboot with the XT installed. Fuck. Just spent my spare time today surfing the net using my iPhone 4 after wiping the old drive, cloning 400 GB of files to it from the XT, and now I have wiped and am cloning once again back to the XT after a firmware update. Now I pray I can get up in the morning, switch the drives around and be back to normal. At least I still can listen to music.

Woke up entirely to early. Now I'm set to drive my Mum and Granny to the Berkshires. We're visiting a friend of the family who's in her 80s. Her husband was a large format landscape photographer in the mid part of the 20th century. Seeing his work (and cameras) should be interesting. The lady is quite a talker, and so is my Grandmother. I hope I survive it. 0_o