What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for all the thoughts and well wishes, everyone. It truly means a lot. I'm going to get through this, and honestly, it is for the best. I don't want to badmouth the wife, but it hasn't been good for a while, and I've put up with too much. I plan on doing what is best for myself and my children. Taking it day by day right now (though really, it's not even been a day just yet), but as some philosophers from the middle of last century put it... "I'll get by, with a little help, from my friends". And I will.

I got my ass handed to me by some friends tonight, lovingly, and it really helped to put some things into perspective.

I feel much good will come of this. Lots of pain, sorry, heartache, emotasticism... but good in the end. If When you see me being a little bitch about it, feel free to put me in my place. I'll probably stray off the path a few times, though I'm going to try not to veer too far. 'Twill be for the best.

*hugs* to all... now to sleep. I've had 1.5 hours since I woke up Sunday morning.

**BRENT**

That's the attitude, Brent. Some things are not meant to be, as I was pretty certain when the sea sucked your wedding ring off your finger. :/ You and your kids can move on and probably have a happier life together and separately if that is how it goes. Hang in there and good luck.

As for me, my vacation is ending as I type and I will be back at work tomorrow and in NYC for meetings starting Wednesday. Had a nice time in Michigan but had to get all litigator-y on the the Traverse City Delta Airlines gate guy when he tried to tell me that we were going to be bounced from the flight and that all flights for the next 2 days are oversold like that one. Got on the flight and made the 1-hour connection in Detroit so all was well. Nice to be home, leave the hot and muggy weather for cold and foggy, and to sleep in my own bed. Plus, I haven't shaved all week and even though it was a nice change for a few days I cannot wait to shave off this beard in the morning. :)

Edited by Voltron

Got distracted getting kids to bed, but also meant to mention that we found out tonight that my son was accepted at a private school for gifted kids and will be going there for 7th & 8th grades. I am proud of him but also a little nervous after lots of school issues with him over the years. Here's to hoping this is what he needs.

Got distracted getting kids to bed, but also meant to mention that we found out tonight that my son was accepted at a private school for gifted kids and will be going there for 7th & 8th grades. I am proud of him but also a little nervous after lots of school issues with him over the years. Here's to hoping this is what he needs.

It's often the bright ones that get the worst of times in school - he'll be much happier with peers in the same mental league.

Like father, like son? Congrat, Al.

Congrats Al. I hope that this gives your son direction. If it doesn't, you might want to look at the Army and Navy Academy at Carlsbad. I have some friends who had a smart, but troubled boy. He was constantly getting into trouble at school and she was constantly having to go to school to deal with the problems. As kind of a last effort in straightening him out, they sent him there.

Within one semester he was a changed kid. His grades shot up to straight A's and he really enjoys going there. He just made the shooting team as a sophomore, which is almost unheard of. Of course, now he wants to go to a military academy and become a sniper. :)

Thanks for the congrat(s) for Alden everybody. Being around other brainiacs will do him good and hopefully will allow him to reach his potential. We liked the charter school he was at the last 3 years in many ways, but the student body was not helping his cause. The last straw was when the teachers emphasized that this school has more of an inverted bell curve such that the majority of students were either slow or advanced and few were in the middle. Knowing the reality of his class in particular, there weren't as many on the top end as the bottom and the teachers were forced to teach down way too much. Boredom and lack of challenge are no good.

And, Grahame, no I was not like Alden in terms of school. I always did well and got along with teachers and other kids. Plus, I never got caught. Ever. ;)

Sorry about the sleep study bust, Dan. That is a hassle. I know a couple people who do really well with those sleep apnea breathing machines. Not sure if that is your specific issue, but those can be very successful. Good luck sorting it out.

I had a CPAP with O2. I tried 5 different masks and none of them would stay on. I ultimately abandoned its use. There are some people whom it does wonders for, but I'm fairly sure that a large percentage of the time they are mis-prescribed. Not to mention that Sleep Studies are a major racket.

Its primarily due to the fact that the US Health-care Industry promotes Treatments as opposed to cures. They LOVE billing for ongoing care.

And for someone sharing the bed a CPAP can be extremely annoying. We had to put the O2 generator in the basement, and it still makes your partner think that they are sleeping with Darth Vader.