What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my leg pain is sometimes a 9 on that stupid 0-10 scale

When I had a kidney stone a while ago, my wife told me about a post on Hyperbole and a Half: Boyfriend Doesn't Have Ebola. Probably.

painfaces0-6.png

painfaces7-12.png

9-10 was an accurate representation for how I felt.

I thought hydromorphone (Dilaudid) worked best of the myriad pain medications I was prescribed.

Edited by Driftwood
typo

Fireplace isn't exactly a good way to heat your house. It makes the immediate area of it warm, but makes the rest of the house noticeably colder.

I was brought up in a house in the North East of England in the late 50's to early 60's with just a single fire in one room. In bad winters my bedroom got so cold that a layer of ice would form on the glass of water on my bedside table. No kidding. The bathroom was like an ice box - you certainly did not linger on the john (or the netty in my local dielect).

I was brought up in a house in the North East of England in the late 50's to early 60's with just a single fire in one room. In bad winters my bedroom got so cold that a layer of ice would form on the glass of water on my bedside table. No kidding. The bathroom was like an ice box - you certainly did not linger on the john (or the netty in my local dielect).

Argh, that sounds miserable. I remember back in Japan, one of my grandparents place had an outhouse and it was always freezing in there.

I've been in bed for the last 2 days with fever and lung infection... not a nice way to prepare for the new year.
So sorry to hear this, and get well soon. I spent the last couple weeks mostly in bed with fever and an ear infection, so I can kinda-relate. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

What I did today: went to Ikea to lock down our furniture selections for the new place we move into in January. Spent enough of the day there that it seems to have cost me my chance to log in here and be called an unfriendly twat by well_respected_man. This makes me a little bit sad.

Thanks guys! My brother passed it to me and now I passed to my GF and grandmother...

Tomorrow's the last day of antibiotics so I should be fine for New year's eve!

ps: we have a good supply of " well_respected_man" 's so there should be one or two for you sometime soon! :P

i've really been thinking about this. the pain only happens when i'm active, and it gets worse the more active i am (whether using crutches or my walker). was it the same way for you, or was the pain always there? it starts as a knot behind my shoulder, then shoots down to my wrist, and then, if i've really been mobile a lot, my hand starts tingling.

Mine was a bit different. It was more intense when I was at rest. But my arm was very week and it hurt to lift it above my head. As I recall, the pain started on the right side of my neck and radiated down my arm through my elbow and down to my pinky. It sucked. It's also the same shoulder I injured playing baseball in high school 127 years ago.

But I wonder if you might have a muscle spasm due to using the crutches. When I was in law school, I carried a heavy messenger bag. As the semester wore on, I would get an awful knot right under my shoulder blade that would radiate down my arm. It was very uncomfortable because it was really hard to pinpoint the pain. It still happens when I carry a heavy bag for too long. I think that's the subscapularis muscle. Does your pain start in or very near your shoulder blade?

Manuel, I hope you get well to receive the new year as it should be.

Jacob, your pain sounds to me more like mechanical than a side effect of Vicodin. Not that we use that drug around here that much. If the Rx was normal and any bone damage is discarded, looking at the way you use the crutches, pressure points, forces applied, etc might help to alleviate the issue. IMHO if the pain were for a bone fissure or fracture it should have started when you had the accident. However repeating those X-Rays wouldn't be that bad.

I've been in bed for the last 2 days with fever and lung infection... not a nice way to prepare for the new year.

That sounds lousy. Kick-ass antibiotics to kill off the lung rot?

Reks - you sir are going through the mill big time. Hope it all works out.

In no particular order - I learned recently from the latest John Irving novel (Last Night in Twisted River) how to deal with chopping boards. Kettle of boiling water run over board in sink. Scrape with a suitable implement (be very scared at the ooze that comes off). Continue with boiling water and scraper until clean, then re-oil.

And finally just got back from an excellent stage play with Samatha Bond in an Oscar Wilde play called The Perfect Husband at the Vaudeville Theatre in the Strand, London. Matinee, finished at 5:30pm with the evening performance scheduled for 7:30pm.

Enjoying a good bottle of Chateau Musar with Mrs S, and multiplexing with checking out a new batch of semiconductors for repair of my T2 clone.

i've really been thinking about this. the pain only happens when i'm active, and it gets worse the more active i am (whether using crutches or my walker). was it the same way for you, or was the pain always there? it starts as a knot behind my shoulder, then shoots down to my wrist, and then, if i've really been mobile a lot, my hand starts tingling.

That sounds like a trapped nerve from unusual activity, or some similar muscular/nerve spasm. I'd try sports physio or chiropractic to get the shoulders unlocked.

Haven't shaved since Christmas day. Trying to decide whether I'm actually trying to grow a Santa beard for next year (in which case I'll have to go through all the bleaching nonsense and look like a complete dork) or whether I'm just in my usual post-Santa-days funk... ever so slowly realizing once again that life just isn't the same when you have to go back to being an every day Joe.

here are my shoulder x-rays, if any docs are interested.

in the top two pics, that slightly curved line that goes top to bottom that passes through kind of the depression perfectly corresponds with the epicenter of the pain.

I'm no Doc nor have I evar played one on TV, but I clearly see an "X" at the big round knob at the top of your arm bone (excuse the technical terms). Have you recently pissed off any residents of Haiti or NOLA? I ask, because it looks like voodoo to me.

Posty ... are you down there sticking pins into a Jacob doll?

The only area where I see a possible fissure is in the first two X-rays, where you say, a oblique line in the mid third of the humerus. However it could be an artifact, perhaps for the clothes or a skin fold. In any case it it's where it hurts, it's more likely it's a fissure. Giving some rest to that arm will help to tame the pain, that's sure. Hopefully percocet helps you better than vicodin.