What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took everyone to get flu shots. Started closing up the swimming pool. Ordered heating oil. :(

Triple "boo" - you better do something fun this afternoon.

And Dinny, no one in my fam is getting any "swine flu" shot. Regular flu, maybe, but since the swine flu is just a variant on the same damn flu you always get the idea that they're making up special shots for it is pretty ridiculous. And that's not my opinion, that's from the pediatric nurse next door. The same people are dying from "swine flu" as would from the regular flu, someone just gave this flu a catchy name and caused a global f'ing panic.

Edited by n_maher

. The same people are dying from "swine flu" as would from the regular flu, someone just gave this flu a catchy name and caused a global f'ing panic.

my understanding is swine flu sucks harder while you have it, but lasts a shorter time and is less likely to actually kill you

This basically confirms what I thought, thanks. People just like to scare and be scared these days, I think. Plus, I like bacon.

I was thinking of getting drunk. Maybe a little crying.

Both reasonable adult solutions. I would like to join you.

Yeah. We're being told to get both the regular shots now and the H1N1 when it's available in October. The swine flu is apparently much harder on the lungs and both my kids have pulmonary issues, so I see the risks of a new and obviously rush-tested vax as the lesser of two evils in this particular case.

Edited by Hopstretch

I'd be willing to bet their concern is that it managed to mutate to humans, and is particularly virulent.

Yes to the first part, not sure on the second.

How severe is illness associated with 2009 H1N1 flu virus?

Illness with the new H1N1 virus has ranged from mild to severe. While most people who have been sick have recovered without needing medical treatment, hospitalizations and deaths from infection with this virus have occurred.

In seasonal flu, certain people are at “high risk” of serious complications. This includes people 65 years and older, children younger than five years old, pregnant women, and people of any age with certain chronic medical conditions. About 70 percent of people who have been hospitalized with this 2009 H1N1 virus have had one or more medical conditions previously recognized as placing people at “high risk” of serious seasonal flu-related complications. This includes pregnancy, diabetes, heart disease, asthma and kidney disease.

One thing that appears to be different from seasonal influenza is that adults older than 64 years do not yet appear to be at increased risk of 2009 H1N1-related complications thus far. CDC laboratory studies have shown that no children and very few adults younger than 60 years old have existing antibody to 2009 H1N1 flu virus; however, about one-third of adults older than 60 may have antibodies against this virus. It is unknown how much, if any, protection may be afforded against 2009 H1N1 flu by any existing antibody.

How does 2009 H1N1 flu compare to seasonal flu in terms of its severity and infection rates?

With seasonal flu, we know that seasons vary in terms of timing, duration and severity. Seasonal influenza can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. Each year, in the United States, on average 36,000 people die from flu-related complications and more than 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu-related causes. Of those hospitalized, 20,000 are children younger than 5 years old. Over 90% of deaths and about 60 percent of hospitalization occur in people older than 65.

When the 2009 H1N1 outbreak was first detected in mid-April 2009, CDC began working with states to collect, compile and analyze information regarding the 2009 H1N1 flu outbreak, including the numbers of confirmed and probable cases and the ages of these people. The information analyzed by CDC supports the conclusion that 2009 H1N1 flu has caused greater disease burden in people younger than 25 years of age than older people. At this time, there are few cases and few deaths reported in people older than 64 years old, which is unusual when compared with seasonal flu. However, pregnancy and other previously recognized high risk medical conditions from seasonal influenza appear to be associated with increased risk of complications from this 2009 H1N1. These underlying conditions include asthma, diabetes, suppressed immune systems, heart disease, kidney disease, neurocognitive and neuromuscular disorders and pregnancy.

Now I read the second part of that as an almost "we won't know for a while" type of answer but also that it's pretty clear that it isn't the killing machine that the news has made it out to be. And Stretch, clearly if your kids are predisposed to being at risk the "better safe than sorry" approach is one that I can identify with.

... since the swine flu is just a variant on the same damn flu you always get the idea that they're making up special shots for it is pretty ridiculous...
Well, no, not really. The regular flu shots that get made up every year are basically wild-ass guesses as to what the next big strain of flu that you're going to be exposed to is, and an innoculation against it. That one year (2008? 2007? I forget) where the flu shots didn't work? They guessed wrong, that's all. So flu shots are always special shots for specific variants, not ridiculous at all. The H1N1 is something that's already in circulation, so it's less of a guess than others, I don't see why anyone would have any problem with getting innoculated against it, any more than any other innoculation. (My sister doesn't want my aged and weak mom [thanks Brent] to get it, but not because it's ridiculous, but because she's against most all flu shots.)

Feel free to double-check this with your nurse neighbor.

Feel free to double-check this with your nurse neighbor.

No need to, I know it's essentially correct.

And I have no problem with those who are at the most risk getting the shots but I am of the belief (perhaps unfounded) that if the entire population gets the shots that all we are doing is weakening our immune systems and creating vaccine resistant diseases. I also hate anti-bacterial soap.