There's something wrong in Colorado...

n_maher

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job Justin and nice avatar choice Nate! 8)

I've decided to open my Extreme to look for damage, etc. I'll report back, and take and post pics no matter what I find. Could somebody refresh my memory on the size of hex wrench that is needed to remove the screws? I vaguely remember reading the information in an HF thread once and will search for the thread. However, if somebody knows it off-hand, I'd appreciate the time saver.

Good thing this has been moved out of the lockup.

When it's working, it sounds pretty fucking good.

I don't doubt that as I love my Stax SRA-3S amp which is a pretty shitty design yet sounds great. Powerful? No. Transparent? Nope, but works wonders on the limited ability of the early Stax phones creating a highly synergistic combo.

I also hope that we can keep it civil and not have it turn into a lynching (i.e calling something a joke is a little childish, but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion).

I always act like a child so it is to be expected. Just look at the rate of which I buy and sell headphones... Me like toys!!!! :P

Why I called it a joke are the outrageous claims and the price level for the ES amps. It was supposed to be a better design then the BH when it obviously isn't. It's basically this design which Stax published in the Japanese SR-3 instructions manual back in 1969.

srxda9.th.jpg

It has been upgraded but charging 4.5k$ for this is nuts based on complexity, parts used and the outstanding workmanship.

I always act like a child so it is to be expected. Just look at the rate of which I buy and sell headphones... Me like toys!!!! :P

Me too, just giving you some shit.

Why I called it a joke are the outrageous claims and the price level for the ES amps. It was supposed to be a better design then the BH when it obviously isn't. It's basically this design which Stax published in the Japanese SR-3 instructions manual back in 1969. It has been upgraded but charging 4.5k$ for this is nuts based on complexity, parts used and the outstanding workmanship.

Well I certainly won't dispute the circuit design claims of either yourself or Kevin. As far as the prices charged, that is somewhat outside of design. At the time I ordered mine there was not really anything to compete with it in current production. A different case now. Plus as you stated in response to Dusty, it's all about how it sounds. I intend to find out how it sounds compared to a BHSE as soon as possible. I also intend to do a comparative review, which is one of the reasons I am taking internal pictures of the ES-1.

After my comparison, which is likely to take some time I will likely sell one of the amps or else I will have one hell of an office rig. :D

Me too, just giving you some shit.

I know, I know... I need to buy something new as there are 0 packages on their way to me now. :(

Well I certainly won't dispute the circuit design claims of either yourself or Kevin. As far as the prices charged, that is somewhat outside of design. At the time I ordered mine there was not really anything to compete with it in current production. A different case now. Plus as you stated in response to Dusty, it's all about how it sounds. I intend to find out how it sounds compared to a BHSE as soon as possible. I also intend to do a comparative review, which is one of the reasons I am taking internal pictures of the ES-1.

After my comparison, which is likely to take some time I will likely sell one of the amps or else I will have one hell of an office rig. :D

The sound is all that matters but despite the normal audiophile thinking it is directly connected to the design. The SR-007mk2/A sounds compromised as Stax did something stupid with the design but that doesn't mean it isn't one of the best headphones ever created. Same goes for amps and everything else.

The sound is all that matters but despite the normal audiophile thinking it is directly connected to the design. The SR-007mk2/A sounds compromised as Stax did something stupid with the design but that doesn't mean it isn't one of the best headphones ever created. Same goes for amps and everything else.

Last I recall, you had not heard a SinglePower electrostatic amp so how do you know what it sounds like? Based solely on looking at pics of the internals? There are many issues here, but your overreaching claims about what is and is not worth X dollars has no relevance.

There are many issues here, but your overreaching claims about what is and is not worth X dollars has no relevance.

really? so if I sold an amp for $100,000 that cost me $2,000 to make, you don't think this implies anything about the purveyor of such an establishment?

Last I recall, you had not heard a SinglePower electrostatic amp so how do you know what it sounds like? Based solely on looking at pics of the internals? There are many issues here, but your overreaching claims about what is and is not worth X dollars has no relevance.

I have not heard one so I was only commenting on the design. If you feel like the price you paid for a SP amp is fair than good for you but most of the customers don't know what's on the inside of their amps and how much it costs to make one. Value is always in the eye of the beholder and my view may be a little odd as to me a 100k Lamm amp is a rip off of epic proportions while a 100k Kondo amp isn't with a lot of things hand made such as the resistors and caps.

Design matters as the sound can be altered dramatically with a few component changes.

really? so if I sold an amp for $100,000 that cost me $2,000 to make, you don't think this implies anything about the purveyor of such an establishment?

My point exactly.

I know what an es-1 sounds like because i have built the identical

circuit with the same output tubes as the BH. It can be made to

sound very good, but has a different presentation than the BHSE.

If i was going to build an es-1 it would have fully regulated high

voltage supplies and a servo for the output tubes to keep the bias

stable without having to measure and mess with it. It would not

be infinitely adjustable for every single kind of input tube or output

tube as this is 99% the cause of all the trouble.

aaron is not having a lot of luck getting people to publicly say over there

what they have paid and what they are owed, so unless a lot of people

come forward, this will just sink back under the noise level till things get

really nasty.

Good idea.

I have a better one.

Jude needs to call mikhail and straighten this out. It would not be the first time.

If jude does not hear what he wants to hear, then jude can take the appropriate

action.

I don't think that other people should be repairing mikhail's mistakes. But it may

get to that point.

Good idea.

I have a better one.

Jude needs to call mikhail and straighten this out. It would not be the first time.

If jude does not hear what he wants to hear, then jude can take the appropriate

action.

I don't think that other people should be repairing mikhail's mistakes. But it may

get to that point.

I don't think anyone can repair Mikhails mistakes other than Mikhail. However, it might help for some of those with money at stake to try to meet and work through the issues so this doesn't get to a point where Mikhal takes action to protect himself which in turns could end up screwing those with significant money at stake. Just a suggestion. I don't pretend to have all the answers.