Anyone building a β24 ?

swt61

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you're a speaker guy the β24 could be a relative bargain if you're considering some of the big boys on the block like Krell, Levinson etc...

I'm in the same boat as others, in that my β22 has more power than needed for my speakers.

But again it's a build I'd love to keep watch of.

Nate, what kind of power switch are you using big guy? :o

Nate, what kind of power switch are you using big guy? :o

probably some amb goodness...

As for "relative bargain", you should compare DIY to DIY as well. I'd be curious to see that cost differential between the β24 and say a Pass F5, or one of the Krell KSA clone projects. My guess is the β24 is 3-4 times more expensive than those 2...

Seems to be just a tad pointless for most people seeing how B22 will work nicely for up to 50 watts >.<.

I just love this post:

It was an eye-opening experience to drive this amp at full sine wave power into my pair of 8 ohm, 200W dummy loads (see pic below), observing the clean, unclipped waveform on the scope, and seeing the dummy loads get absurdly hot. The power is very real.

Now nobody needs that of course....... but since when has need ever come into it? :D

I definitely plan on building one (or five) but how crazy I am going to go is undecided. I am starting to pick up Solidworks (don't think I will ever be a master) and would like to design a custom case for it. But like all things time and money are a factor.

yes they are, those ice power modules are 500W into 8ohm 1000W into 4ohm.
Where are you getting that? You can't always just double the power output of an amplifier to get what it can do into 4 ohms -- some amps just shouldn't. I mean, I realize it's probably fine in this case, just wanted to err on the side of being right caution. Edited by Dusty Chalk

Not sure if you are joking or not, but it should be 1000W * 4/6 = 667W.

Nah, not joking. My speakers' nominal impedance is 6ohm. Thanks for the clarification. I put the little smiley because I figured tkam would know I was referring to the 22L because I bought them from him.