HE 1.2B and Buffalo Loaner Program.

naamanf

Guest sacd lover
Most use WPI sockets (which were used by Koss in the 70's on the ESP10) today and Woo has their own custom made. They aren't half as nice as the Stax sockets but do the job. WPI also makes male plugs which work but not much more then that.

The Woo socket is custom made for them, probably in China like the rest of their stuff.

I bet Woo amps are made in China .... but how do you prove that.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are very upfront about some parts being made in China such as the chassis and I'd guess that they get their transformers from there as well. I know they've even offered to help some of their competitors get parts from China. As for them being assembled in China I don't know and don't really care. Their craftsmanship is second to none and the parts quality is on par or even superior to far more expensive amps from SP and RSA. When the upgraded GES will be released both of them will be in a world of hurt.

Guest sacd lover
They are very upfront about some parts being made in China such as the chassis and I'd guess that they get their transformers from there as well. I know they've even offered to help some of their competitors get parts from China. As for them being assembled in China I don't know and don't really care. Their craftsmanship is second to none and the parts quality is on par or even superior to far more expensive amps from SP and RSA. When the upgraded GES will be released both of them will be in a world of hurt.

Gee .... I am always amazed how you can know what amps will sound best before you ever hear them. I wish I could do that. Me, I actually had to buy a Woo 6 to see what the amp was all about. Unfortunately, I must not hear right. Because despite the excellent build quality and better parts I thought the base Woo 6 was a total turd.

Gee .... I am always amazed how you can know what amps will sound best before you ever hear them. I wish I could do that. Me, I actually had to buy a Woo 6 to see what the amp was all about. Unfortunately, I must not hear right. Because despite the excellent build quality and better parts I thought the base Woo 6 was a total turd.

Where did I comment on the sound? Change the feedback, the operating point for the tubes or the PSU and the amp will sound very different from another one using the same topology. Right now I'm building my own version of the Egmont (everything different except the basic topology if the amp section and the input tubes used) so while it will have the same character as the crap that Rudi is peddling but not sound the same.

Guest sacd lover
Where did I comment on the sound? Change the feedback, the operating point for the tubes or the PSU and the amp will sound very different from another one using the same topology. Right now I'm building my own version of the Egmont (everything different except the basic topology if the amp section and the input tubes used) so while it will have the same character as the crap that Rudi is peddling but not sound the same.

If you were not talking about the sound why would they be in a world of hurt?

If you were not talking about the sound why would they be in a world of hurt?

A cheaper amp with the same or better specs (i.e. no CCS, AC coupled, high bias output tubes) but better made and at a lower price. You may prefer the sound of the other amps or some of their features but the cold hard value is hard to deny.

The small screw that holds the headband and earcups in place broke last night (when I was placing them on my head), but it seems the distributor is on top of things.

222vm8.jpg

Unresized:

http://home.comcast.net/~drnath/random/he3.JPG

I'm sad to see them go. They're excellent headphones all around, but fall flat in the imaging, soundstage and 3D spacial effect. So I still consider the Omega 2 reference worthy.

And the build quality isn't that good, but hopefully the Jade has a better connection.

<snip>

I'm sad to see them go. They're excellent headphones all around, but fall flat in the imaging, soundstage and 3D spacial effect. So I still consider the Omega 2 reference worthy.

And the build quality isn't that good, but hopefully the Jade has a better connection.

Sorry to hear about the problem.

I am surprised that you felt they fall flat in imaging, soundstage and 3D spacial effect. I found quite the opposite. These do all of that better than most can's I've heard and to me the O2, are not in the same league. Not a criticism of your findings, just surprising based upon mine. :)

Sorry to hear about the problem.

I am surprised that you felt they fall flat in imaging, soundstage and 3D spacial effect. I found quite the opposite. These do all of that better than most can's I've heard and to me the O2, are not in the same league. Not a criticism of your findings, just surprising based upon mine. :)

Like Marc, I found the image to be too centered. With only small left to right soundstage and very little depth. Making everything sound very forward like a Grado or Koss ESP/950.

Like Marc, I found the image to be too centered. With only small left to right soundstage and very little depth. Making everything sound very forward like a Grado or Koss ESP/950.

I'm not sure if you have this album, but "Waltz for Debbie" demonstrates this quite well. There are spatial clues out the wazoo in that recording that sound oh so perfect with the SR-007. With the He I felt like more of an outsider than right in the middle (literally) of the performance.

I'm not sure if you have this album, but "Waltz for Debbie" demonstrates this quite well. There are spatial clues out the wazoo in that recording that sound oh so perfect with the SR-007. With the He I felt like more of an outsider than right in the middle (literally) of the performance.

I'll try it tonight but just not my experience so far.

I have the XRCD and the Analog Productions of Waltz for Debbie. I do remember it sounding incredible on the SR-007. I'll listen to it on the HE Audio stats later.

I have the XRCD and the Analog Productions of Waltz for Debbie. I do remember it sounding incredible on the SR-007. I'll listen to it on the HE Audio stats later.

So were they fixed? I assume they are if you are listening to them. The quality does not seem to be very good as the entire cup/headband assembly is held in place with just that tiny screw :o

So were they fixed? I assume they are if you are listening to them. The quality does not seem to be very good as the entire cup/headband assembly is held in place with just that tiny screw :o

No I'm sending them to the US distributor. But they still work if you hold the one earcup in place.

Guest sacd lover
So are there no comments on the Buffalo? I'd love to hear what others think about this DAC.

My impressions are rock solid, but it's always fun to compare them with others.

I have had two Buffalos for a couple months now. I think the dac is very good. But, I still prefer my Opus with zap filter or Zhalous with zap filter. The Opus/ zap is probably my favorite dac.

Guest sacd lover
I think you need to Zap the Buffalo! :D

I would if I could get one. They are having all kinds of QC issues so no USA zap filter sales until they get their QC resolved. I am looking for some other discrete output stage suggestions .... anyone have any?