Least favorite parts etc.

Fungi

I thought it might be kind of helpful to have a thread of your least favorite parts so everyone else can avoid them.

For me, right now it's the Switchcraft TA3F mini 3-pin XLR connector for AKG headphones. Piece of crap is made of metal and bad plastic and is breaking/falling apart on me. But there's no alternative available :palm:

eichmannbananazr6.jpg

Eichman banana plugs. It may be designed with sonics in mind using 24k Gold plated Tellurium Copper, but the POS plastic stalk is fragile, bending and threatening to break off with heavy speaker cables. Worse yet, the metal strip slips up and down easily if there is resistance in the female banana jack.

• 1 month later...

2sc3381 - there are apparently 2 versions (7 legged, which I need, 3 legged which I do not, but got 50 for my trouble), and once found and paid, actually getting them. Have 3 payments out with vendors, and no parts to show for any... some since November. You'd thunk I'd ordered from Singlepower.

Yes, I know BDent, etc, but lots of others claim stock... until you actually expect delivery.

Now i did luck into a couple of 2sk389, just for the old BH, though LSK is for the new kid.

2SC3381 datasheet doesn't show any 3 legged for this... it would be kinda hard to pinout 2 BJTs using only 3 pins :palm:

I hear ya on finding these... I was trying to get more in case I decided to do Dynamite. I decided to just do 2 ch Dynahi instead.

Use 2SC2240 pairs to replace these (2SA970 is the complementary).

Edited by Pars

The perp has 3 pairs of these... I didn't have an immediate application but will need some for:

1. Dynahi (2 ch)
  2. Aleph P1.7 (at least 1 SE input, and an SE output as well)
  3. Rotel 855 when I get around to replacing stock jacks

So I figured at that price, they might be nice to try. I need to sit down and finish something also :palm:

The perp has 3 pairs of these... I didn't have an immediate application but will need some for:

1. Dynahi (2 ch)
  2. Aleph P1.7 (at least 1 SE input, and an SE output as well)
  3. Rotel 855 when I get around to replacing stock jacks

So I figured at that price, they might be nice to try. I need to sit down and finish something also :palm:

diyAudio Forums - FS: Cardas female RCA (GRFA S Thick) - Page 1

Yes, shipping is high, unless you shoot the perp an offer :o

Spritzer or any else who has used these: I read a review on diycable.com that claimed the rhodium (and silver) scratch off of these rather easily. Also, these are the S with the thick nut (0.00"-0.082"), so will not fit my intended enclosure which has a 3mm back. Do you know if you can buy the nuts separately? If I could get the thin nuts, the range expands to 0.079"-0.142" IIRC, which would be a bit shy of 4mm. I dunno, these seemed like a good idea, but I am now leaning away from doing them.