Circuit City folds

guzziguy

I feel for the workers, but not the company. I've never had anything but absolutely atrocious service from CC.

My friend and I bought his Xbox 360 a few years ago, it took them like half an hour to bother opening up the safe after we requested one.

BB is only marginally better. But most of the electronics they sell are crap.

Should be some decent deals.

Don't bet on it. Those are the same liquidators who just did Linens 'n Things and I saw how they worked there. First raise tagged prices by 30%, then put up the "35% OFF!" banners. They are in there to squeeze out every last cent for the creditors and they don't fuck around.

On the other hand, consumer electronics pricing is very transparent now thanks to the Web, so it's pretty easy to do your homework.

EDIT: Today must be my day to be just slightly too late. :D

Well I hope there are some decent deals eventually cuz I would probably buy stuff. Loss-leader items ftw. :) I bought some assorted stuff at an Office Depot the other day, the store was closing and they had 50% off on all items, probably happening all around the country...

I will be checking them out, but not planning on buying anything.

That is what I will be doing as well. As others have mentioned their mark is high and the prices aren't that great from my experience as well.

I do feel for the workers and now where I am we are left with only Best Buy after losing CompUSA a while back.

I have never seen as many people at CC as there were today. CC should have gone out of business years ago, then they wouldn't have had to go out of business. Just like the CompUSA liquidation, the prices suck, and by the time they don't, likely everything worth anything will be long gone.

I fear what BB will be able to do, especially in towns where they are the only remaining serious electronics store. I really hope Fry's expands to rival BB at some point.

Up here BB is #2, but #1 is its "sister" company Future Shop. From what I've heard Fry's is the geek's dream-store - my boss was in Palo Alto last year and told me I'd be in heaven at a Fry's. I hope they expand northward at some point :D

Edited by oogabooga
grammar

I feel for the workers, but not the company.

I still use CC workers as my reason not to get depressed on the bad days at work. One day things were especially miserable, and it was still early in the morning. It was a day where I just wanted to park the truck and walk home. Had the radio on, and heard a news story about every senior CC sales person getting fired. They were told they could come back in three weeks, and apply for their jobs again at minimum wage. I decided my job wasn't so bad after all.

The Fry's in Duluth, GA is pretty bad... DIY stuff is mostly way overpriced, and you often can't browse a lot of sections because of the employees just loitering in crowds in the middle of aisles.

Our one Fry's here (Lombard) is kinda the same way. Plus they seem to not restock parts. I went back looking for a couple of trimpots 2 months after buying the last ones they had. They still had not restocked :palm:

I still use CC workers as my reason not to get depressed on the bad days at work. (...)

Yea. I know what you mean. I feel that way about 99.9999% of retail jobs. Some of y'all know, back in '86, I went through exactly what the CC employees are going through right now (at Pacific Stereo in Chicago area). At that time I swore I'd never work another retail job--and luckily I have not had to break that oath.

The Fry's in Duluth, GA is pretty bad... DIY stuff is mostly way overpriced, and you often can't browse a lot of sections because of the employees just loitering in crowds in the middle of aisles.

Tell them to move! :palm:

I live almost across the street from Fry's in Alpharetta (technically Milton I guess) and agree with what Ryan says. But sometimes they have some worthwhile specials and it's convenient for getting emergency shrink-wrap. ;)

The only time they've really pissed me off is when they tried to wiggle-out of a price-match from Best Buy. They failed.

Idiot customer service kid: "I'm just doing my job."

-m

I can't really say I'll miss CC, I haven't ventured into one in over 4 years. And no, Frys aren't exactly the cheapest place around either, but that's why God invented the interwebs. They're useful if you need something there and then, otherwise I hop online for dealz :)