CanJam 2009 Impressions, Pics, Parties, etc...

Asr

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg, if I'd realized you hadn't gotten any, the evaporated bottle would have found it's way to you :)

No worries as long as it went for the gang and not the gate crashers. The whole idea was to welcome the out of towners. ;)

Can Jam On Tekzilla

This was linked over at the other place, bit a pretty good Can Jam review from (say 4:30) ~5:00 onwards

Revision3 > Shows > Tekzilla > Episode 91: Drop CPU Temps, Speed Up Your Machine! Headphones from $20... - Revision3, Patrick Norton, Veronica Belmont

Liked The "Monster" comments :)

Anyone know what he's talking about with "Matt" and "digital out from iPod"?

There's a 5 Guys in LA, BTW. We go to it all the time. My wife likes 5 Guys better than In N Out.

so does mine, and i agree with her on this. :P

but when she says it's better than father's office i am not too sure about that, though, there are days where i'd easily prefer one over the other, but just can't say one is best.

CanJam Thank You M'am. Ultimately, the excuse for this band of crazies to get together is the gear, the music and the meet itself. Of course, JP and his crew did not just put on a meet, they held a trade show. The scope was epic, the hotel was top-notch, the vendors came in record numbers, and as it turns out thankfully so did the members. I have not yet seen the tallies but the prior national meets have not exceeded 200 members to my understanding and I think this one came close to doubling that number. If you add in the huge number of vendors, we are talking major numbers of moving parts -- some on two wheels no less -- and the organizers really pulled off the image of a well-oiled machine. The masses didn't need to know that "oil" really means beer, whisk(e)y and tobacco, but what they didn't know didn't hurt them. This crew kicked it up such a huge notch that I pity the fools that take up the mantle. Oops, sorry there Morphsci and Billy and co., but you're committed and there ain't no backing out [twice]! :cool:

So after driving 400 miles, drinking some beers, tasting some scotch and seeing lots of people I rarely see but thoroughly enjoy, the first thing I wanted to do was set up a massive table of gear! Not. Oh well, JP was counting on us to be ready for Saturday so with Gene, Stephen, Mike, Grahame and who knows how many people, we unloaded the smoldering van and set to work. There was a lot to be done, and I had the amazing new Amarra Model 4 and software on my new Mac Mini to showcase, so I wanted to get it right. That plus two major amps, the EMM Labs stack, 7 or 8 headphones and all the cables and bits that make them work take time to set up. Moar "oil" was required of course, and that helped, of course, and ee got 'er done thanks to many helping hands. Ta da:

web.jpg?ver=12440002740001

web.jpg?ver=12440001730001

As usual, the voltage regulator tubes on my SDS-XLR did not ignite in the relatively dark and windowless room. As I did on several occasions -- notably after the power went out a few times on Saturday -- I was once again able to amaze and amuse by igniting the tubes with the flash on my camera:

web.jpg?ver=12440001880001

Nope

web.jpg?ver=12440001570001

Not yet

web.jpg?ver=12440002080001

Come on, dammit!

DSCN2544.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12440000910001

Success! Fiat lux!

The amp performed admirably all weekend through thick and thin, so it is true that some SinglePower products live up to their old rep.

in the meantime, I was checking out the other rooms and saying hi to my vendor buddies who were setting up or already set up, and generally slacking off while others did my work. Importantly, I took delivery of my very own HD800s from Todd. What an exciting moment! And HighLife almost stole it away from me! :mad: Just kidding, Dom demurred and let me get the first listen before he glommed on and rocked out.

web.jpg?ver=12440001530001

web.jpg?ver=12440001360001

web.jpg?ver=12440001490001

Note on this one how Dom's slacker style cap expands the soundstage by spreading the pads that extra half inch. :P

The rest of Summit Fi was also busy setting up, so there were many awesome rigs in that room, like all the rest. blubliss was next to me and it was great to meet and hang out with him. Andy even allowed a head-to-head shootout attempt with asr's BHSE but technical difficulties prevented a good comparo.

web.jpg?ver=12440001240001

Plenty of 'stats, my friends, and that was not nearly all of them in the Summit Fi room. Deadneddz and his girlfriend Trisha joined in and one of those O2s is his pair.

Thankfully, 909 took some of the VanJam crew and others to a killer taco shop and more thankfully Stephen brought me back a trio. OK, so I had to find him long after he had returned to the hotel and found the beer room, but he did not let me down. ;D Very simple, with meat and cheese in a crisped corn tortilla, but it sure hit the spot. Mikeymad even got one of the trio and that helped apply a base for the rest of the evenings' activities. Another crowd altogether order mass quantities of Thai food and ate heartily in the hotel.

The party crowd gravitated to the Summit Fi room somehow (maybe JP told us to do that? :confused:) Somehow I decided to open a very rare bottle of bourbon in that melee and of all people to make off with it? Boomana!? The non-drinking Vicki was trying to lure grawk into the Summit room and was then drawn into Todd and Pete's evil plot to drink all my whiskey in their room! After several attempts, I retrieved the booze and carried on.

After the hotel gently kicked us out of that room, we gravitated to the pool area which was one floor up. The story has been told elsewhere but the infamous shelleylh meeting transpired in the wee hours of Friday as the small crowd threw out a lot of noise. The combination of Reks, Naaman and Matt Fury were a new and unknown force that swirled well past 3am and who knows when it stopped. When I left, there was a smaller crowd huddled in Shelley's room and there was much rejoicing. :cool:

Gene and I toddled off to our room and chatted late into the night/morning.

Moar later.

Well, I haven't posted here much (just on the other site) because I was a little terrified actually. But after talking to the a bunch of you at CanJam (and especially the headphone goddess Vicki), I decided that maybe it is time to start spending more time at head-case and less time at the other site.

Anyway, CanJam was outstanding. The best part about it was meeting all the great East and West coasters and a few in between. I have to say that those Floridians are a crazy bunch indeed!

It was fate (or was it :P) that my hotel room had a sliding glass door that led straight to the pool area (aka whiskyfest). So, yes, I went out in my pjs around midnight thinking I was going to ask people to be quiet (how silly of me), then realizing the drunk and disorderly crowd was actually a drunk and disorderly crowd of CanJam-ers, and before long I was joining them and allowing my bathroom to become to local CanJam powderoom (hmmm.... not so sure that was a good idea). Seriously, I couldn't have asked for a better group to hang out with. It was fantastic.

The gear was also amazing. I wish I had about a week to try it all. There is always next year. The one setup that really captured my heart was blubliss's setup. The R10 really sang to me. I was thoroughly impressed!

Hi Shelly. It was definitely great getting to know you a little bit, and hope to see you at other meets some time. I hope you've recovered, both from CanJam and from being under the weather.

The gear was also amazing. I wish I had about a week to try it all. There is always next year. The one setup that really captured my heart was blubliss's setup. The R10 really sang to me. I was thoroughly impressed!

Yes, this was maybe one of my top listening moments ever. R10s may be my favorite headphone, and out of Andy's rig, they were just gorgeous.

btw, Andy, I ordered the Anner Bylsma. :)