JH Audio stuffs

atothex

Funny enough, its not unsellable. I sold a pair of UE11 a few days ago, right on the heels of someone else. Cut the price in half, it'll sell (remolding costs $100 in China).

I'll take your K1K now. :P

Just fyi, the K1K value raised up of 100$ with the nice customs bill that I got this morning. :mad: They're in superb shape though, looks like they're almost NOS. If you're interested, discussions could be held, but I'll have to decide first if I get the JH13.

Just fyi, the K1K value raised up of 100$ with the nice customs bill that I got this morning. :mad: They're in superb shape though, looks like they're almost NOS. If you're interested, discussions could be held, but I'll have to decide first if I get the JH13.

Come on. Your already selling the Sigs and SRD-7 Pro on head-fi, aren't you? ;)

Come on. Your already selling the Sigs and SRD-7 Pro on head-fi, aren't you? ;)

Busted. I only sell stuff on HF when I want to get market price or a little higher, that's when I have a project in mind to fund. :D

i would not dew eet

I'm curious Nate, did you hear the JH13s?

I'm curious Nate, did you hear the JH13s?

I may have heard the universals, but if I did it was briefly. My rational for not doing it is essentially the point you already raised - do you really want to drop $1100 on custom IEMs and have them be your only headphone. Me, I could never live with only IEMs since I can't afford to be that isolated when I listen and when I do want to wear IEMs it is in situations when I don't want $1100 stuck in my ears (mowing the lawn, clearing the driveway, etc). So while I definitely get why some folks here dew eet, I don't agree that JH13s are the end all be all for everyone. :)

It's not unthinkable for my K1000s to go on the block soon, considering how much I enjoy the JH13. I don't want to be too hasty, as the K1K are very dear to me, but these things are really very good. I'll give it a month or so after the new toy shine wears off and re-evaluate.

I sat in a coffee shop and listened to Wagner's Ring Cycle this morning, while reading some texts on OECD macroeconomic policy. It was really a very enjoyable experience. I had forgotten how much I appreciate portability. Portability and extreme fidelity together are rather unbeatable, for me.

I must admit I've been going down the path of debating the JH13's myself. I'd have to sell off my Triple.Fi's and HF-2's to even think about affording them though.

Aside from being in Canada and in a location where I'm rather wary of the experience the audiologists would have with this sort of thing I'm rather concerned about the sensitivity I have to most non-foam based tips. It would really suck to spend that much only to find I can't use them for longer than a few minutes because they make my ear canals itch.

<-- not even a hint of itchy ear canals here, and that problem plagued me endlessly with universals. I can't speak to why, or whether that experience would be the same for you, but for me they solved the "every tip somehow sucks" problem I had with universals.

I must admit I've been going down the path of debating the JH13's myself. I'd have to sell off my Triple.Fi's and HF-2's to even think about affording them though.

Aside from being in Canada and in a location where I'm rather wary of the experience the audiologists would have with this sort of thing I'm rather concerned about the sensitivity I have to most non-foam based tips. It would really suck to spend that much only to find I can't use them for longer than a few minutes because they make my ear canals itch.

My customs are the only IEM's that DON'T make my ear canals itch.

<-- not even a hint of itchy ear canals here, and that problem plagued me endlessly with universals. I can't speak to why, or whether that experience would be the same for you, but for me they solved the "every tip somehow sucks" problem I had with universals.

That's good to know. I'll have to talk with JH Audio further about that, they may have some insight as to causes and if it's a possibility for me.

So the next thing I need to figure out is where these would fall in terms of sonics, even with all the glowing posts I haven't quite got a handle on them. Right now I feel like I've got two very good upper mid-level options with the Null Audio cabled Triple.Fi's and flat padded HF-2's. The HF-2's I love because they seem to get the tone more correct than other phones I've tried. With the flat pads they have a nice amount of bass and punch but the treble seems a bit too set back. The recabled Triple.Fi's on the other hand are probably close to if not the most balanced phones I've heard, they have a nice clean treble presence without smearing or sibilance issues. Overall everything integrates very well but while the recable does a nice job of balancing them it doesn't solve their being somewhat on the dry side.

So while I'm quite enamored with both my phones I recognize that both have flaws and I also recognize that by selling both to buy one I could up the ante sonically, I think the only way I could go with one phone would be an IEM of some sort as I value the isolation IEM's provide more so than the larger soundstage open phones provide. I'm guess I'm just not quite convinced yet that overall the JH13's would give me what I'm looking for. From what I've read and what I can discern from current users is they tick a lot of the boxes for my preferences, my biggest worry is they won't provide the overall bass weight and impact I tend to prefer and I wonder how they compare directly to what I have now.

Blah blah blah...

I listened to universal JH13s at DJ with a Pico w/dac. It's hard to imagine a better transportable rig than that for ~1600$. I'd be happy with it as a home rig. I have HF-2s, HF-1s, iM716s... I'm a Grado junkie, but I'm wanting to sell my matching pair to get JH13s. As Nate so eloquently buzz-killed, they aren't for everyone. Some can't have that much isolation, some are worried they won't like them/no-to-little resale, some may have itchy reactions to material. There are plenty of reasons to not get them (those above, plus a hefty (for many) entrance fee, but like Tyler mentioned portability is something to not be overlooked. Many think that this is a top tier headphone, or at least knocking at the door.

There are few headphones that I've come across that are in the same ballpark, and NONE of these would you want/be able to plug into your iPod at the gym, on the train, in the library, at a coffee shop, etc... and sound brilliant.

Best reason to get them, however, is no more headphone hair.

**BRENT**

Edit: P.S. Has anyone tried or asked about the "Ambient Vent" option for 50$? I mean... may as well get the tricked out version, no?

Edited by MexicanDragon

Took me awhile to get used to the feel of customs filling part of the outer ear (especially since I wear glasses). It's still way more comfortable to wear universals as far as the outer ear is concerned since most do not touch any part, but the inner ear has always had discomfort or ached with universals. With customs, they feel fine.

Another bonus with IEM's is hot weather use. I was looking forward to spending some quality time with my R10's again with the weather cooling off, but fuck no. Has to be 90+ Degrees this weekend. :facepalm:

Ambient vent decreases isolation for performers who want to hear their screaming fans. When I had a regular gig on stage, I'd wear one ear in and one out to replicate this effect.

If you won't be using it as a stage monitor, it's probably not a good idea. I think the isolation is a benefit, but my screaming fans are long gone.