Ye Macce Threade

Two others to give a try...

http://code.google.com/p/tunesremote-se/

http://code.google.com/p/tunesremote-plus/ (your Android phone - I believe you have one and if closer than your iPad). 

After a bit of work with the pairing, it is working well so far.  Thanks.   As long as I have Amarra/itunes automatically startup at login, I shouldn't have to screen share until I need to purge the memory.   :)

Edited by shellylh

• 2 weeks later...

Have any Head-Casers bought a third party Thunderbolt docking station?  I think I'm going to be in the market for one early next year.  What I'd like is one that has DVI, FW800, GBit ethernet and USB 2.0.  Bonuses would be USB 3.0, and maybe HDMI & digital audio outputs.  Anyone buy one these?  What has your experience with it been?

Ok, I need Apple help.

I've had an Apple ID since the beginning of time and hence, it's not an email address. I do have a verified email associated with the ID. So today a friend sends me a photo stream and I try to access on the ipad. Fucking iCloud won't let me log in. If I use my apple ID it tells me I need an email address ID for iCloud and when I try to use the email associated with my Apple ID it tells me the user ID or password is wrong. So I went to apple.com and logged in and I see that there's an option to change your ID to the email associated with your account but when I try to do that it doesn't work. What the fuck? Seems like there are still tons of issues for folks with non-email apple IDs and the fixes don't work. Any suggestions?

We'll see if I care enough to call.  Last time I tried to do something like this is severely effed up my acount and almost cost me all the apps that I'd previously bought.  I've read stories of similar things happening with this iCloud BS so I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

Ok, I need Apple help.

I've had an Apple ID since the beginning of time and hence, it's not an email address. I do have a verified email associated with the ID. So today a friend sends me a photo stream and I try to access on the ipad. Fucking iCloud won't let me log in. If I use my apple ID it tells me I need an email address ID for iCloud and when I try to use the email associated with my Apple ID it tells me the user ID or password is wrong. So I went to apple.com and logged in and I see that there's an option to change your ID to the email associated with your account but when I try to do that it doesn't work. What the fuck? Seems like there are still tons of issues for folks with non-email apple IDs and the fixes don't work. Any suggestions?

We'll see if I care enough to call.  Last time I tried to do something like this is severely effed up my acount and almost cost me all the apps that I'd previously bought.  I've read stories of similar things happening with this iCloud BS so I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

My brother-in-law had the exact same issue, when he came to me for help a while back.  I had to help him try adding a few different email addresses to his old Apple account in order to find one that the Apple ID site would allow using as his ID, which ended up being [email protected] address.  He had even tried setting up a new never-before-used iCloud ID and adding that to his apple account, but it wouldn't let him change the old ID to that new iCloud address because Apple does not allow merging of accounts yet.

The main point is, try adding more of your other email addresses as your email for the old Apple ID, until you find one that can be transitioned into being the actual ID name instead of it just being the email associated with the old Apple ID name.  Apparently some addresses are acceptable to Apple, and some aren't.  

But also be sure to not let that email address used for the ID lapse, because even if you have other backup email addresses in your account it would feel weird to have your ID be an inactive email address.  Bro-in-law tried to use his ISP provider email, until I reminded him that if he changes from Qwest to some other provider then the email address will go away.  I wanted him to try to use a gmail, which is always free for pop access.  After renaming your ID to an active email address, you can still add all your spare email addresses to your Apple ID, so that anyone who knows even one of your emails can FaceTime or iMessage with you.

Another option - you could also just leave your original old Apple ID the way it is and only buy things with it - and then get a new iCloud ID for photo stream (you can disable any other iCloud feature you wont use).  You'd enter the old ID into just the iTunes and App Store as you do now, but the new iCloud ID would be entered into your iCloud control panel on the Mac or iPhone settings.  

We actually do things this way ourselves - we use my old .Mac Apple ID from 2003 for just the family's App and iTunes store purchases (and for a shared family event calendar), and then we each have our own private Apple ID that we only use for personal iCloud data syncing and messaging.

I've had problems with this, too.  I maintain that Apple still doesn't understand the internet.

The syncing parts are working fine -- and they did before as well -- but interacting with the damn thing is a mystery to me.  I used to know how to go online and see my .Mac email and stored photos, find my phone, and shit, and now I cannot navigate any of it easily.  I haven't spent much time trying to figure it out, but I still think it is clunky.