Another One Bites The Dust: SDS-DOA

Voltron

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

latest singlepower clusterfuck here

Supra Schematic? - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

and a smoked singlepower supra extreme slam se with pictures soon.

If the person that is going to fix this is as good as i hope they will be, then

maybe we can find a way to get him to drive over to mikhail's with a truck

and pick up all the dead stuff and then charge people to fix it. He is only

75 miles away or so...

Ironbut really did it! I finally have proper tubes in all locations and he really fixed the damn thing! I tried with some crap tubes because that was all I had in SF and they sucked and there were problems with the sound and drop outs etc. as I mentioned above. I then borrowed a couple mismatched 6sn7s from blessingx and it was better but Ric said one was suspect and he was right. Today I went to Mayberry to get my tubes and I put in all good tubes and the beast is back!

It sounds great without any problems, distortion or anything else to get in the way of the sound. I am so relieved and psyched to have this resolved. No more meets for this frail flower and if anything further goes wrong then the KG design is going into play.

Thanks again to all who helped but special props go out to the miracle worker in iron. :)

Cool! If you're looking down the road to just try the KG supply for the heck of it, I'd love to have a go at it for you. I have a few ideas of my own but they are in early gestation stages... and involves, among other tubes, a 12AX7 in the PSU for an error amplifier, which could be sorta weird for people... but, maybe I could just barely gain the KG seal of approval :)

Just for the heck of it, I'd like to know the output voltages and currents though, if anyone happens to have a rough idea.

I don't have a clue what you are talking about but that would be fun! We should talk when you are not traveling and maybe you could have it as a back-burner project I would fund. You get to experiment and I get to have an alternative flavor of amp and a backup. Win. Win.

Hope you are enjoying the road trip.

Glad to see everything is back up and running Voltron.

latest singlepower clusterfuck here

Supra Schematic? - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

and a smoked singlepower supra extreme slam se with pictures soon.

If the person that is going to fix this is as good as i hope they will be, then

maybe we can find a way to get him to drive over to mikhail's with a truck

and pick up all the dead stuff and then charge people to fix it. He is only

75 miles away or so...

There's also CERTIFIED-Singlepower MPX3 SE EXTREME - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio for sale... what IS a mpx3 extreme? some sort of new clusterfuck hybrid? same with a supra extreme? :confused:

Ironbut really did it! I finally have proper tubes in all locations and he really fixed the damn thing! I tried with some crap tubes because that was all I had in SF and they sucked and there were problems with the sound and drop outs etc. as I mentioned above. I then borrowed a couple mismatched 6sn7s from blessingx and it was better but Ric said one was suspect and he was right. Today I went to Mayberry to get my tubes and I put in all good tubes and the beast is back!

It sounds great without any problems, distortion or anything else to get in the way of the sound. I am so relieved and psyched to have this resolved. No more meets for this frail flower and if anything further goes wrong then the KG design is going into play.

Thanks again to all who helped but special props go out to the miracle worker in iron. :)

:prettyprincess: Great news Al!

My personal amp is a ppx3 extreme.

Back then mikhail built about 50 mpx3's and ppx3's and was unable to sell them.

So he tore them apart and rebuilt them as extremes. Including the completely

underpowered transformer.

There are only 3 different chassis sizes, and 2 different circuits total.

Plus all the custom stupidity. (dynamic amps only)

My tube power supply design was such that it used existing tube socket

holes, and did not require any chassis work. I can certainly build all

tube power supplies that regulate to a fraction of a volt. Basically copies

of the old tektronix stuff. Requires very custom transformers with lots

of isolated taps. Would not fit in that box.

My personal amp is a ppx3 extreme.

Back then mikhail built about 50 mpx3's and ppx3's and was unable to sell them.

So he tore them apart and rebuilt them as extremes. Including the completely

underpowered transformer.

I had him rebuild my ppx3 into an extreme. Mine is the platinum version with the plitron transformer. Do you have any idea of what plitron Mikhail used and whether it is underpowered too?

You just think that it is a plitron transformer because you have been told it is.

Given the events of the recent couple of months, how do you really know unless

you pop the cover and look. plitron transformers, every one i have ever seen going

way back are all toroids and won't fit into the square box. So if you still have

the 4 inch x 4 inch square box there is no way a plitron toroid is going to fit in there.

If you have the round cover then there is a good chance you really have the

right transformer. Then there is the issue of what particular model number it is.

Here is a big hint. Nothing mikhail has ever done that i have seen so far has custom

transformers, everything is a stock model. His line that he had the transformers custom

made is pure bullshit.

If the transformer runs so hot that you can't touch it after it has been on for an hour,

it is likely that sooner or later the transformer will let go.

When that happens a custom transformer is about $107. But then it ends up looking

like mine does now instead of what it used to look like.

Kevin,

Even the plitron model Extreme's still wouldn't support the big output tubes and required an external power supply for the 10A filament tubes. So I'd expect the Plitron to carry 120V/.5A and maybe a 6A filament winding. I still don't see anything that looks right in the Plitron listings...

After sweating out some odd distortion/static since late last night, I finally realized that an update to the Amarra software had somehow pegged the main output in the red. I thought I was going nuts, especially since mostly low-rez files showed the static and the Luxman made it much less noticeable or not noticeable on some tracks. Oddly enough, it just goes to show how resolving the SDS-XLR really is. :P