The analog thread.

Hopstretch

The writer says it allows you to press your own records, which is completely wrong. It cuts records, doesn't press them. From that cutting a pressing could be made, but not with that machine. Also you're only going to get as the good as the source material, so unless you want to create a duplicate of a treasured vinyl album, I don't really see the point. An MP3 cut into vinyl is still going to sound as good or bad as the original MP3.

I can see the race to be the first one to get their turntable running at 3rpm exactly will be brutal!

Many lives will be lost.

I have an old Denon DD table with a good bit of speed adjustment. I would think that using a Variac on a table like that should work?

Edited by ironbut

I can see the race to be the first one to get their turntable running at 3rpm exactly will be brutal!

Many lives will be lost.

I have an old Denon DD table with a good bit of speed adjustment. I would think that using a Variac on a table like that should work?

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!1111111

Dont use the variac! The speed control is all done by computers. Running the TT on a variac will not get enough voltage to the regulators....

Much better to use a record clamp on top of your DD TT to drive a belt drive TT.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Vinyl newbie question -

A new old transport has been keeping me busy on the digital side and after a few weeks of non-use my vinyl has crazy sibilance. Have tried tube changes and other settings on phono stage, slid around tracking weight, azimuth looks good (though will investigate more). Anything else to consider before I start to worry about the cart (which seems less likely as occured from non-use, but still...)?

BTW, this if for an Ace Space.

Edited by blessingx

Have you checked VTA? Seems one of the few things which may change. If the screws holding the arm's height are a bit loose, VTA might have changed.

The other dreadful chance is that the cleaning lady has "worked" on the cart. BTW, the record you listened was one you know well and you're sure wasn't sibilant before? Maybe listening to other LPs you don't find it that sibilant.

Thanks for the advice guys. Finally had time to reset things and I'm guessing it was the azimuth. Relieved. Does make me wonder if I should have left Regaworld. And the album was the reissue of Shelby Lynne's Just a Little Lovin'. ;)

This is a trick I learned on the Pink Fish Media forum, but I assumed Ric didn't do this "mod". If you apply some force to the black piece that holds the counterweight it will give, and you can rotate it left and right to adjust azimuth. Similar to how the VPI JMW tonearms do it. My cart's azimuth is electrically aligned at the neutral position so I have not tried this.

nottcw.jpg