The analog thread.

Hopstretch

What is known as Zenith?

Did I win the Daily Double?

:rofl:

If the clock-anticlock is seen from the front side, it's Azimuth, but in my modest experience this doesn't have much effect on tonal balance, it's more on channel balance, as the bias (antiskating) setting. Anyway, glad you got it fixed :)

Anyone have an idiots guide to capacitance loading? I am looking to help out a friend setup a turntable/cart/phono and want to get the moving magnet loading right.

We are going with a stock SL-1200 and I have no clue what the capacitance of the stock cable is either :( I think this one will be mostly trial and error.

I have just bought one of those fancy-looking linear tracking vertical turntables, the LT-5V. A drawback of my unit is that currently I have to spin it by hand. I have a problem spinning it manually at 33rpm. It tends to end up too fast or too slow. Are there any courses or similar ways of learning to spin turntables at a perfect speed?

• 2 weeks later...

Remind me to ping on you when I do that remake of Space:1999 and have you and your apartment make a cameo.

That's what I thought of when I saw it too.

1317758580955_bimage_9635_0004_640_320_Overlay_590_295.jpg

Space--1999-TV-1975-movie-props.jpg

But in the remake who's gonna play...?

conartist76.jpg

Edited by blessingx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am thinking about getting a Soundsmith Carmen or Otello while these July 4th sales are going on. Anyone have any thoughts?

I really like the needle drops I have heard from one of their top carts, so far the best I have heard. Peter Lederman also says the moving irons have significantly less moving mass than MCs. I'm going to give him a call tomorrow and talk through the options.

I really like the sound the Pater Lederman (sp) gets in his room at RMAF. I played around with the SMMC -1 I think for a bit and liked the sound of it. Not as good as the Atmos but very good

Thanks John. I spoke to someone at SS and they sold me on the Otello when I was thinking about the Carmen. The Otello is actually cheaper, but salesman said it would be very similar to the Carmen but with a touch more warmth (what I like about my Bloom). Tracking on both is supposed to be exceptional. And the high output of the SS carts means I can stop looking for a high gain phono, I really like the Pearl so that is good news.

I'd love to get a Sussoro Paua someday, that cart blows my mind. That thing can track passages that no other cart I've heard can handle.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks John. I spoke to someone at SS and they sold me on the Otello when I was thinking about the Carmen. The Otello is actually cheaper, but salesman said it would be very similar to the Carmen but with a touch more warmth (what I like about my Bloom). Tracking on both is supposed to be exceptional. And the high output of the SS carts means I can stop looking for a high gain phono, I really like the Pearl so that is good news.

I'd love to get a Sussoro Paua someday, that cart blows my mind. That thing can track passages that no other cart I've heard can handle.

I get to listen to the SP cartridge alot. A friend who bought my VPI uses it. Nice cartridge.

edit, his is the wood bodied Sussoro. Not sure if the extra $$$ for the wood body sounds better or not, but it looks beautiful.

Edited by tom_hankins
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...