The analog thread.

Hopstretch

I was debating moving up to another Zyx, but decided to try a Soundsmith instead. I think it will be a step up in terms of tracking, I have a Carmen being built now.

Also I am hoping I will have some time after the summer to start working on my L75. Decided I will probably do a wood plinth, the slate was getting too complicated and the manufacture would have been completely out of my hands.

Been switching between a Benz Micro Gullwing and the Lyra Kleos.  Biggest pruchase for system in a pretty long time (and an eye opener) is the Audio desk Systeme record cleaner.   

I need to hear all that new gear!

Last night I heard an Innovation Wood Compact on my old speakers & preamp; it was pretty friggin' sweet even with just an Ortofon $1200 Cadenza Red. Bass impact wasn't fully there, but I know that's typical for that combination of other gear.

I need to hear all that new gear!

Last night I heard an Innovation Wood Compact on my old speakers & preamp; it was pretty friggin' sweet even with just an Ortofon $1200 Cadenza Red. Bass impact wasn't fully there, but I know that's typical for that combination of other gear.

When can you get away Mike? I work this weekend and then free for a long time. Sent an email to your hotmail account.

Edited by tom_hankins

I've started window shopping turntables (lord help me)

If you shell out thousands of dollars for a high end cartridge, can they be serviced somehow so you dont have to replace them every 1000 hours?

Also, how hot can the house get in a power outage before the vinyl warps?

oh and what is the best way to deal with dust for high end tables?  the only tables that seem to have dust covers are the entry level ones.

Edited by aardvark baguette

Mileage on carts really vary, my Atmos wore pretty quickly but I had a Grado last a decade. You can get them retipped by the manufacture or Sound Smith. Sound Smith if they can do will charge like 350 ish but the wait is pretty long. 

never had a warping issue to due to house heat 

dust I wipe lightly and carefully with a swifter broom replacement cloth

Has anybody had any experience with the Nova Phenomena phono stage? 

My friend Howard has a floor sample he wants to get rid of. It's not the deal of the century, but it would be a good enough deal that I could sell the thing later and not take too much of a bath.

It looks like an attractive candidate for the den system. (widely adjustable gain, plus wide selections of loading values).

Mileage on carts really vary, my Atmos wore pretty quickly but I had a Grado last a decade. You can get them retipped by the manufacture or Sound Smith. Sound Smith if they can do will charge like 350 ish but the wait is pretty long. 

never had a warping issue to due to house heat 

dust I wipe lightly and carefully with a swifter broom replacement cloth

....I think John means being VERY, EXTREMELY, EFFING CAREFUL anywhere near the cantilever.

I feel like a complete jerk saying that, but I know two - no three - highly experienced audiophiles (not John) who have lunched carts that way. And I've come close.

I, too, vote for the Swiffer thingie. I have the worst household dust on the planet to contend with and Swiffers rule.

I found a place in Bethesda that sells good stuff and will deliver / install / setup.  

I'll probably get new audio furniture to put this thing on, I want something taller than the Lack tv stand for this.

They are a dealer for Ayre, SME and Clearaudio, so without really knowing anything about anything, the SME tables look pretty serious.  Will probably go that direction.

I think they have a 100% invoice upgrade path for anything bought in the first year.

Edited by aardvark baguette

I actually have a Clearaudio table that I never set up -- mostly because it has the European power supply, and I never fixed that.  It's a fairly highly considered turntable (or was at least, back in the early aughts) by the British audiophile news media.

I need to either sell it or finally get around to setting it up, meaning swapping in a power supply or getting the American motor.

And I agree about the new furniture -- it's more important with turntables than any other component.  You really need to decouple it from the output of the speakers, especially at lower frequencies.  Headphones are really best (sticks tongue out at whoever said it wasn't).  Given infinite resources, I would even put it in a completely different room, but then you miss the first few seconds every time you have to go there to get things started.

The fact that they do housecalls to set up is awesome -- worth it's weight in gold to have someone who knows what they're doing.

......oh and what is the best way to deal with dust for high end tables?  the only tables that seem to have dust covers are the entry level ones.

Check your yellow pages under "plastic or acrylic plastic/fabricators" .  I found two manufacturers out here that will make TT dustcovers to any spec and the finished product looks just like original equipment.

I figured I'd ask this question here as I'm having great difficulty finding relevant information on Google but I don't think it merits its own thread:

Opinions on buying gear potentially previously used for DJing? Not familiar with DD tables but I'm in the market for a new deck and was thinking about possibly picking up a Technics as I'm looking for something overbuilt. I've heard bad things about decks that've been used for DJing from a handful of people; others have told me that due to Technics' build quality the motor isn't really at much risk of significant damage resulting in an audible reduction in sound quality. Any input on this subject is much appreciated.

I figured I'd ask this question here as I'm having great difficulty finding relevant information on Google but I don't think it merits its own thread:

Opinions on buying gear potentially previously used for DJing? Not familiar with DD tables but I'm in the market for a new deck and was thinking about possibly picking up a Technics as I'm looking for something overbuilt. I've heard bad things about decks that've been used for DJing from a handful of people; others have told me that due to Technics' build quality the motor isn't really at much risk of significant damage resulting in an audible reduction in sound quality. Any input on this subject is much appreciated.

The web is filled with "thoughts" on the Technics 1200....

A good starter deck, and fairly robust.

With some investment the Technics 1200 can sound as good as you want to take it.

But that is probably true of a lot of things.

I have replaced the tonearm, bearing, platter and added an external PSU, and it sounds extremely good.

Of course to get sound at this level you also need a killer cart and phono stage besides the rest of your audio chain.

http://theartofsound.net/forum has some good info on modding the Techie if that's what you decide to do.

Edited by DigiPete

Thanks for the info. I don't think I was very clear in my original post: I'm aware of the 1200's potential and have listened to it extensively -- what I'm specifically wondering about is whether I should be worried about potentially buying a unit used for mixing/scratching. Someone told me to make absolutely sure it's been used purely for listening when buying a used SL-1200, sounds like paranoia to me but I thought I'd probe for some more opinions on the matter and haven't had much luck searching on the interwebz at large.

• 1 month later...

And the bearing.

You can buy new bearings for the 1200. Replacement requires undoing about a zilion screws and moving a PCB to the side to access the bearing, but the overall operation is about a 4 on a scale of 0 to 12. 

On that note as long as the 1200 was well maintained (no drinks spilled on/in, tonearm not busted up, bearing oiled every 10Khours) they are quite reliable. I would go hi-fi on a DJ'ed 1200, provided it wasn't abused.

Is now the right time to express zero confidence in the VPI direct drive? This is knowing nothing about the actual unit, but being prejudiced by VPI's inability to make their (very simple) motor controller work reliably. I can only guess what it will cost, and I'd get a Grandprix Monaco. Or a Technics SP10. Or a crazytoast lenco.