The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Thanks guys!!! :)

So, is that, like, better than an SR-X with SRD-7? I have to admit, that's the biggest transformer box I've ever seen.

It's actually not that much bigger then a 717/007t, well each box that is. The amp is (W)262*(H)162*(D)438mm and the PSU a bit smaller.

You have to love an amp that has an LED indicator with the label HEATER.

The T1 has it as well but it's labeled PRE HEAT on that one. The T2 must use a version of the same delay circuit.

say you modified it to sound more like a rudistor.

That would be easier then the involve Jesus in all of this. An Egmont is nothing but two triodes capacitor coupled together with no NFB or ground reference, crappy PSU and a bias supply that will kill your phones. I could do that... :)

Hey Spritz,

What kind of mods have you performed on your SRM-T1? Anything aside from rewiring the input/output and replacing the panel jacks with something better? I ordered some NOS raytheon japan tubes, but I'd love to get the rest of the parts ordered before the stock market bottoms out and they repossess my lungs.

Hey Spritz,

What kind of mods have you performed on your SRM-T1? Anything aside from rewiring the input/output and replacing the panel jacks with something better? I ordered some NOS raytheon japan tubes, but I'd love to get the rest of the parts ordered before the stock market bottoms out and they repossess my lungs.

That's basically it. I did change the PSU caps as well with some stuff I had on hand but that was purely for safety reasons since the amp was used 24/7. I should update my profile though since that amp is gone now and my last T1 is up for sale... :-[ My wast electrostatic collection is in a sorry state with only 3 Omegas left, a SR-003 and enough parts to make up a few Lambdas. Then there are only two amps, 717 and 007t. :'(

I'm surprised you haven't kept a Sigma. Guess you're really making space for the collect'n'purge electrostatic speaker chapter.

I do love the Sigma's and will build a few 404's in the future but they don't get much use. Collecting gets tiresome after a while and espcially when the funds can be put to better use making the system better as a whole instead of spreading it out. It was fun though...

That, and blowing 10 grand on two amps

There is that small bit and all the DIY amps that I'm slowly working on. The DIY BH will be on the expensive side if I go ahead and build it with all 8 HV power supplies... and that's not counting bias supplies. ;D

I do love the Sigma's and will build a few 404's in the future but they don't get much use. Collecting gets tiresome after a while and espcially when the funds can be put to better use making the system better as a whole instead of spreading it out. It was fun though...D

Collecting is fun, but I don't think I'll ever had 15 headphones at the same time again, not that my 15 were anywhere near your 15 of course. As for the 404/Sigma, you know you should be working on an SR-007 sigma. 2 drivers per side of course.

Collecting is fun, but I don't think I'll ever had 15 headphones at the same time again, not that my 15 were anywhere near your 15 of course. As for the 404/Sigma, you know you should be working on an SR-007 sigma. 2 drivers per side of course.

15 is small scale... :P

I'd really like to try to build a Sigma on the 4070 chassis with that arc assembly. Whether is would require ports at the back of the driver or just ports in the baffle is tough to say but it could be done. I'm happy though with the Omega soundstage and the varying degrees I get from the SR-007 Mk1, Omega/007 hybrid and the SR-Omega.

The Sigma 404s are a nice phone aren't they? Much better than the original. I never heard a Sigma Pro however. None of these are in the same class as the Omega2 Mk1 however.

They are very nice indeed and a good improvement over both the normal and Pro bias Sigmas. The next one I'll build will use SR-303 parts so that I can see if it makes any difference as the cable is a much better match to the Sigma color scheme.

The SR-007 Mk1 is simply in a class of their own so I'm very much weary of the recent declarations in the HE Audio thread on HF.

The SR-007 Mk1 is simply in a class of their own so I'm very much weary of the recent declarations in the HE Audio thread on HF.

Eh who cares, it's the manufacturer making those claims (and breaking a few rules in doing so) :rolleyes:

I wonder which mod is giving them preferential treatment, gosh that's a tough one.

Eh who cares, it's the manufacturer making those claims (and breaking a few rules in doing so) :rolleyes:

I wonder which mod is giving them preferential treatment, gosh that's a tough one.

I've never heard a HE owner claim that the HE is better then the 007 so I guess he just alienated a lot of potential customer by pulling this crap. Not that they are going to sell a lot with them priced close to the 007 and HE60. I do wonder how much of that is dealer markup... :rolleyes:

Yeah, that "we're the best" bit turned me off. Seems like that sort of thing should belong in a paid-for thread where everybody knows it's advertising, but hey, that's head-fi for you.

I for one am hoping that they actually do a good job and make something that sounds right, if only to motivate Stax to get their act together. Being better than the O2 Mk1 is a long shot but better than the Mk2 isn't that hard.

I've never heard a HE owner claim that the HE is better then the 007 so I guess he just alienated a lot of potential customer by pulling this crap. Not that they are going to sell a lot with them priced close to the 007 and HE60. I do wonder how much of that is dealer markup... :rolleyes:

I do remember a meet-impressions thread where the 1.2b, 1.3b, and a whole bunch of other stats were compared back to back. Most people preferred the 1.2b over the O2 (there were both Mk1 and Mk2 versions), though reading between the lines, it looks like the O2 was driven by a 007t or ES1 in most cases and wasn't in a good rig.

I'd like to hear one, but I'm not shelling out money for it. Next meet, maybe, if I ever get my ass out to one.

I'm not going to bother after guzziguy said he was contacted (in a not so positive way) about reporting posts.

I believe that Ken was contacted because the post he was reporting had already been reported multiple times. I've never been reprimanded for reporting posts and I've probably reported a hundred or more. It's the only way they can keep track of things, there's no way they can read every post.

I'm not going to bother after guzziguy said he was contacted (in a not so positive way) about reporting posts.

I'm not saying it didn't happen but I am not aware of anyone being criticized for reporting posts. There are some members that report posts regularly and are a huge help because we can't read everyone. When I see people I know report posts, like Nate, I tend to jump on them faster because they usually are reporting something that needs to be addressed. If you don't report something then don't complain and don't assume you know the reason why a problem isn't being addressed.

I've been mostly out of pocket the past 3 or 4 days but will check out the posts.

And to my ears the previous HE Audio headphones were better than the OII.

Several of us here got the same email from Jude after he decided that we "conspired" here to attack RSA. We didn't conspire and were attacking jamato8. This was in regards to his thread that basically announced the SR-71A.

I figured if Jude didn't care if he wasn't getting revenue from RSA, then I didn't care. The story might be different if I was an MOT and had to pay for such a thread, but I'm not. Since then, I haven't bothered to report a problem on HF. I don't see any upside to it, either for me or for HF.

Several of us here got the same email from Jude after he decided that we "conspired" here to attack RSA. We didn't conspire and were attacking jamato8. This was in regards to his thread that basically announced the SR-71A.

I figured if Jude didn't care if he wasn't getting revenue from RSA, then I didn't care. The story might be different if I was an MOT and had to pay for such a thread, but I'm not. Since then, I haven't bothered to report a problem on HF. I don't see any upside to it, either for me or for HF.

Conspire was probably the wrong word, more like a meeting place where you can discuss your attacks. I wonder when I post about the Pico Dac over there whether there will be anyone complaining that I am doing the same as jamato8.:palm:

Conspire was probably the wrong word, more like a meeting place where you can discuss your attacks. I wonder when I post about the Pico Dac over there whether there will be anyone complaining that I am doing the same as jamato8.:palm:

It would be a full-time job to make a thread with that amount of dedication