thrice

The Headcase Stax thread

40 minutes ago, Pars said:

3) high price (so you know it's gotta be good) - actually not too bad at $1400

I was thinking it might be nice alternative tranformer box for electrostats and dynamics (presuming design is safe unlike WEE),.... until I saw the price :o

There is a lot of BS in that...like a lot a lot...  The whole part about the bias supply being a battery supply and the super 1kV Wima caps... 

Also why the hell at the Stax sockets upside down? 

51 minutes ago, dsavitsk said:

Doubtful. But even if there is, there will be considerably more across your head.

True but it would have been beneficial to keep them at an angle.  It would also have been beneficial to have a better amp in there, a proper preamp not using the cheapest parts so it was really nitpicking...  ;)

I had the misfortune of hearing an iESL (plugged into an iCAN) unit several months ago. It was a joke. It had a 009 plugged into it, which I wasn't super interested in (in retrospect, a mistake), so I double-checked all the dials for the right bias setting, etc., and plugged in my 007. With the volume turned all the way up, it barely made a sound. I don't blast my music, but this thing at max reached about the same loudness as a Carbon with the volume pot at 8:30-9:00. Then I remembered that I have no reason to trust iFi to know about the 5M bias ballast resistor, had no way to check, and proceeded to yank out my headphones before anything bad happened to them. Then I fled the room, with a rictus grin frozen on my face. I now wish I stayed long enough to find out if it actually worked with the 009.

For iFi's sake, I hope this was an early unit with problems which have since been fixed. If not, then buying the iESL to power Stax headphones is absurd. The SRM-252S costs a fraction of its price, and has the desirable property of actually working.

No, no, no...you've got it all wrong.

This amp is for estats which need to be energised so it's a completely different animal. :huh:

"Imagine that your electrostatic headphones are like the top of the range Porsche. A Porsche engine requires a lot more power than your standard car. So do electrostatic headphones! They need to be ‘charged’ or more accurately, ‘energised’."

3 hours ago, justreadingup said:

"They need to be ‘energized’ or more accurately, ‘charged’."

Fixed it for them. ;)

• Haha 1

Indeed and when the charge is there, it will stay there for some time.  The ifi spiel is just BS on top of other BS claims. 

In other news, I just heard a Senn HE-1 has landed in Iceland.  I missed a call from the Senn rep during the week so I guess I need to haul some gear over to their place for a comparison...  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Pars said:

An engine doesn't REQUIRE power, it MAKES power. Not sure what you are trying to get at with your quote...

Yes, I know this.

In their ad they spell energize with an (s) instead of a (z) that's what I was getting at with my post, nothing to do with their stupid  anology (which was wrong as well) about the Porsche engine.