thrice

The Headcase Stax thread

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:53 PM, justin said:

joamat, did you ever check out trying the adapter I came up with for EL34 and 20B in the same amp? 

Well, I did start with a layout of a regulator board with some smd parts. A sop-4 ssr for relay…

2084587448_topadapter.thumb.JPG.119daa110aa99f39a4974773a71f8ce4.JPG         2101239869_bottomadapter.thumb.JPG.82d713e8fbfc68c4b6e74cc03780cfbd.JPG
… but it all stalled. The to-220 regulator probably needs a heat sink and the layout has to reworked – it's just an early draft. But so far I stick with the EML V20B to EL34 adapters I have.

Maybe you should make your idea of adapter public here on Head-Case. I think it’s a very elegant way to make it possible to use either EML tubes or EL34.

Edited by JoaMat

sure, here's the schematic again. the way it works is the relays flip when you plug in the 20B. because there should always be a time delay on the high voltage and I'd hope nobody is hot swapping the tubes it should be completely safe

20b-or-el34.jpg

Edited by justin
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 1:57 PM, gomo said:

Hi,

Has anyone tried Ether flow angled pads for SR-007 and how is it compared to EP-007?

Terrible match IMHO. Also the Ether Voce pads.

The best pads I came across for the 007 were the 009 pads.

Actually they proved to be the best for all my headphones. I love those pads - especially after I removed the white reinforcing layer from the internal foam. Same mod works great for the 007 pads as well. Best generally usable ear pads in the industry IMHO (not counting special ones like Focal or Sony or Phenomenon). I have dozens of obsolete pads from other makers that I collected over time, but the 007 and 009 pads stand out. So if anything, I'd move *for* them, not away from them :).

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, zolkis said:

Actually they proved to be the best for all my headphones. I love those pads - especially after I removed the white reinforcing layer from the internal foam. Same mod works great for the 007 pads as well. Best generally usable ear pads in the industry IMHO (not counting special ones like Focal or Sony or Phenomenon). I have dozens of obsolete pads from other makers that I collected over time, but the 007 and 009 pads stand out. So if anything, I'd move *for* them, not away from them :).

There are a few other pads that allegedly work with the 007, like Kennerton Audio's ECL-01 and ECL-02, and ZMF pads (I know someone using ZMF auteur pads on a pair of 007s). Have you tried any of these pads?

• Like 1

So here I was modding a SRM-006tS to a CCS and noticed this: 

staxftw.thumb.jpg.f5ca518835fdd34ade086401980b019b.jpg

That is the R+ output and notice the 3 lines coming off it, one going to the feedback, one going to the output resistor and one... going to the other side of the output resistor...  ;) 

One has to wonder just how many of these they have shipped like this? 

In other news, it was fun converting an original T1 and and this one at the same time.  30 years apart and almost exactly the same...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/13/2019 at 1:00 PM, zolkis said:

I second Zolkis findings. Have followed his instructions, first modded original 007 pads then 009 pads and no way back. In  2 words - increased immediacy.

I don't suppose anyone who tried the 007 with 009 pads experiment has a headphone measurement rig so we could take a look at the resulting FRs? Doesn't have to be perfect, just (moderately) consistent in measurements so the differences are meaningful.