The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

The original sr-omega pads are brown so the black 007 pads pictured don't really match the original aesthetic, that's all. The brown 007 pads are also easier to adapt for use in the omega. It's not something I considered when I placed the order, so I'm feeling a bit more stupid than normal.

Of course brown pads would make it sound less dark as well, making them less edgy and rebellious.

• Like 1

The He90 never fit my head properly so that would be nothing new from Sennheiser.  :)  I hope some aspects of that are just a bad joke but I fear Senn have just fucked up quite badly. 

Looks like they are still using ODO connectors for this one:

http://www.odu-usa.com/products-solutions/push-pull-circular-connectors/odu-mini-snap.html

18mm shell, pin and groove? 

I'm sure the price will be so insane that it won't be worth fretting over.

A pair of black HD800s though, that I could get excited about. The ones Warren is wearing look pretty good.

900x900px-LL-c4cd071c_FullSizeRender-7.j

Ok, so the headphones live in the box on top of the Amp/DAC? Yuck.

900x900px-LL-e827925a_FullSizeRender-5.j

Whoever posted over there that the look seems to be catering to the New Russian demographic is probably onto something. The price, if indeed that's what it is, is absurd. This is Sennheiser saying "look at how prestigious we are" and not "hey let's finally release a headphone you've all been waiting for." But then I guess that's what the original HE90 was too, if maybe slightly less insane.

Parallels to the speaker market indeed. I don't want to see the headphone hobby pushing out everyday enthusiasts just because it can.

Well, I'm still very happy with my HE-60 and LNS, so I'm not too worried about the new Sennheiser headphones tempting me.  

On a different note, can the eXStatA kill a headphone if something goes wrong while the phones are plugged into the amp?  I sometimes wonder if I should install the new amp boards in my Hybrid eXStatA to see if it's better than my HEV-70 amp.  I've been sitting on the new parts for a few years, ever since the PSU was rebuilt but killed the Rt channel at the same time - it just wasn't worth it.  Is it still not worth it, i.e. worse than HEV-70 or SRD-7 Pro via ZDT amp?  

FYI - I've already had two sets of amp boards die about 5 yr ago, both sets stuffed by Wiatrob.  The new ones were stuffed by a head-fi hobbyist, and nobody we all know.

Well, I'm still very happy with my HE-60 and LNS, so I'm not too worried about the new Sennheiser headphones tempting me.  

On a different note, can the eXStatA kill a headphone if something goes wrong while the phones are plugged into the amp?  I sometimes wonder if I should install the new amp boards in my Hybrid eXStatA to see if it's better than my HEV-70 amp.  I've been sitting on the new parts for a few years, ever since the PSU was rebuilt but killed the Rt channel at the same time - it just wasn't worth it.  Is it still not worth it, i.e. worse than HEV-70 or SRD-7 Pro via ZDT amp?  

FYI - I've already had two sets of amp boards die about 5 yr ago, both sets stuffed by Wiatrob.  The new ones were stuffed by a head-fi hobbyist, and nobody we all know.

if they have the kg standard 5.1k resistors on the output it should be fine

if they have the kg standard 5.1k resistors on the output it should be fine

None of them have this same as the Liquid Lightning crap.  If everything goes to shit then they can destroy the drivers plus if the cable fails then there is nothing to protect the user from the drive voltages. 

On a different note, can the eXStatA kill a headphone if something goes wrong while the phones are plugged into the amp?  

yes absolutely. If the outputs to the minus rail short out, then you are putting close to 900v on the diaphrams. Same as any other direct coupled electrostatic

really we should have a protector for this. The 5.1k resistor is to prevent death to humans in case something bad happens.

and as for the new sennheisier product, boy are some people over there delusional thinking its going to be only $15k.

Edited by kevin gilmore

yes absolutely. If the outputs to the minus rail short out, then you are putting close to 900v on the diaphrams. Same as any other direct coupled electrostatic

really we should have a protector for this. The 5.1k resistor is to prevent death to humans in case something bad happens.

and as for the new sennheisier product, boy are some people over there delusional thinking its going to be only $15k.

Yeah, they quoted me 5 million ISK which is about 40K$.  The prices here are weird as they are usually the same as in the US, despite the 25.5% VAT.  I would get a very healthy discount though...   

My friend who is a local rep for Sennheiser also confirming both of yours figure - north of $40K.  He said 44K to be exact.

So, does anyone with the skills to make this eXStatA safe to phone and human want to make an offer on taking the amp and new stuffed boards, at a low price or some kind of trade?  It's just going to waste space here. If I recall it has one pro and one normal bias teflon jack, a separate volume control for each channel, with XLR and RCA inputs.