I sort of want a pair of good closed phones

The Monkey

Ah, so THOSE are the Thunderpantseses. Are those the ones you were wearing in the airport, Colin? :)

Indeed they were.

That's better than those silly things he was wearing when I saw him at the airport...

Oh, Vicki also had the Shure 840s for a little while. For 120$, may as well give 'em a shot while you're waiting in line for your ThunderPantses.

**BRENT**

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, I never owned the D7000's, only tried a pair at CanJam after having owned a pair of D2000 for some time. Basically, I didn't feel that they were that much better than the D2000. If you are interested, I would be happy to lend you my DX1000's.

^^^ This. IMO the D5000 and D7000 are not significantly better than the D2000. All of them are comfy but the D2000 are the comfiest because of their weight.

That's helpful. I sort of recall thinking the same thing at CJ08, but my memory is not exactly to be trusted. I have a line on the 7000, but I don't know if I can get them for less than $600 and that money seems better spent on Thunderpants. Perhaps I should get a D2000 for a little bit.

What do these (T50rp's) sound like out of the box? Worth playing with for cheap closed phones, or are the mods transforming?

They sound somewhat more balanced than the vintage orthos, both stock, but the level that can be achieved with modding (sticking with the stock enclosures) is substantially less than with most other vintage orthos. tl;dr all it takes is a couple of discs of felt for the vintage Fostex to wreck it. IMO.

The shure is only like $130 compared to the $550 for the thunderpants.

The thunderpants better be much better!

Well the D7000 is like $650ish, but it was being considered in the same pile too :S. Headphone prices seem to go up exponentially with performance.

The Shure is better than its price definately so its a bargain.

But thunderpants are a good deal better in my opinion, a good planar has something over a good dynamic in my opinion. And in fact they like the Shure are a GREAT deal for their price, if this was a commercial product it would surely be in a higher price bracket.

That MB Quart colin mentioned is a v.good competitor to the Shure as well.

What do these (T50rp's) sound like out of the box? Worth playing with for cheap closed phones, or are the mods transforming?

Yeah I agree with Dusty above. Well the T40v1 is a good option. T50rp, doesnt shine modded in stock housing, well it can sound good i think, but it would take a veryyy masterful effort to get it there. The extreme mods (ala Smeggy) are what really transforms it.

Update: There will indeed be thunder in my pants, but the Pantsmeister is understandably not able to crank these out on a moment's notice. So until then, I am going to bridge the gap with either the Shure or the Denon 2000. The 7000 is just too much $. I remember hearing it on Yikes's rig and not loving it.

So between the Shure and the 2000, what say you wise ones?

They're not that great out of the box, but with a few simple mods I enjoyed them for how little they cost.

T20v2 (can't remember if it is closed or not?) is also good with some basic dampening, but the price has sort of risen on these since they're OOP.

Yet another vote for the Shure, I bought Vicki's and use them at work. Not super, but fun, very cheap used, and indeed much better than the price indicates.

If you can find the CD3K's, though, I say go for that. They sounded REALLY nice out of Colin's Millet that I have. I know you wanted a mint pair, Dinny, but I did sell mine for $375 :P You could have had great sound on the cheap.....

Yet another vote for the Shure, I bought Vicki's and use them at work. Not super, but fun, very cheap used, and indeed much better than the price indicates.

If you can find the CD3K's, though, I say go for that. They sounded REALLY nice out of Colin's Millet that I have. I know you wanted a mint pair, Dinny, but I did sell mine for $375 :P You could have had great sound on the cheap.....

Can you still find pads, spare parts for that headphone?