Audeze LCD-2

swt61

I am not sure about the felt covered foam, just looks like foam to me... foam that will degrade in no time. I was also hoping the wood would be a little nicer looking. Oh well.

Here are some quick pics. They are not the best pictures (low light with bounce flash or flash with a diffuser).

dsc0004rj.jpg

dsc0006bn.jpg

dsc0001p.jpg

dsc0003xi.jpg

dsc0003jyo.jpg

Edited by shellylh

EXIF data for the rescue! (http://regex.info/exif.cgi?dummy=on&url=http://a.imageshack.us/img440/4678/dsc0003xi.jpg)

Nikon D90

AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED [iI]

Shot at 35 mm

Auto exposure, Program AE, 1/60 sec, f/5, ISO 1000

AF-A at 60cm, with a depth of field of about 5.5cm (from about 2.6cm before the focus point to about 2.9cm after)

edit: shelly beat me to it

Here I have aligned the background grid instead of the measurement lines. But then it's harder to compare the graphs, because the thick line (the line for the newer LCD-2) is a bit higher up on the graph than my two lines. Overlaid like this it just looks like the newer LCD-2 measures a tiny bit louder overall....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3476[/ATTACH]

Here is mine. Look quite different to the other I have seen. No ruler flat bass and roller coaster treble lower then most other charts but they sound like a dream anyway.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3521[/ATTACH]

post-2414-129511579222_thumb.jpg

Not as funny as Asr's "If I were drunk..." comments, but here, after 3 tries, are my (sorry, somewhat hype-y) thoughts on the LCD-2s and HD-800s which I posted on HF (with some unnecessary crap removed):

What strikes me about the LCD-2s are they are the first headphone which allows the music to shine as it is absolutely. The HD-800s do this too, stepping back to allow the music through, but stepping TOO far back. They don't do intimacy where it is required, and they suffer from a degree of vagueness, rather like listening to orchestra, and the individual instruments are somewhere "out there". For a lot of music, I prefer the Symphones Magnums, which are, to my ears, equally fast, yet very front-row, with the kind of intimacy that you can see the strings on a player's guitar vibrate as he plays, yet sometimes are a bit too intense. The LCD-2s aren't that close, yet they aren't far. They are ready to step in and really hand the music to you when it's required, yet will step back when the music steps back. The singer in front of the mic is in front of the mic, the instruments are exactly where they were placed on stage at the distance they are from the microphones and with the exact intensity that results.

On my 3+ stars random playlist, I have a Black Crowes track which starts off with vocals. I had the volume up a bit from normal, and out of the black of nowhere their voices just jumped out at me in total detail, rather as if they'd appeared right in front of me and started singing. I'm not a real fan of their music, but it was absolutely stunning. The thing is, this isn't being done by tonal trickery (eg: a peaky treble or mid-bass) but by being extremely fast. Take my Black Crowes vocals impressions and substitute The Crystal Method or Shpongle or anything where there is bass impact. Same result.

Their frequency response, being as technically the closest to genuine "flat" possible with a headphone becomes quickly irrelevant. The HD-800s you are often trying to compensate for, with a re-cable, with a slightly warm-of-neutral tube amp -- the absolute seems always just out of reach, so you compensate a little, maybe spending a lot of money in the process. The LCD-2s just hand you the music as it absolutely is, warts and all. If there's distortion, it will tell you about it, including details of exactly how that distortion is, yet, it will still make the music sound glorious at the same time. With the HD-800s, you stand back and look at how beautiful the musical painting is. With the LCD-2s you are IN the painting.

From the specs of the Gilmore Lite (wall wart power) would it be able to power the LCD-2? A few LCD fanboys say nay.

Personally I didn't find the LCD-2 that hard to drive. My guess would be yes it will drive it well enough. I happened to prefer the LCD-2 on SS amps as well. The tube amps I tried (several at CJ) were not as good of a match IMO.