Holy Crap! The New Stax Omega Looks fierce! (Stax SR-009)

Jon L

What I truly don't understand is this reluctance to just fucking accept that there is a point to amps like the BHSE and the T2. It may be the eternal search for giant killers but once you've been exposed to the SOTA stuff there is no way to go back.

Anyhow, thank you for opening my eyes on how narrow minded this place is. I did not realize how much the discussions here are geared toward a single authoritative vision of what a proper Stax system should be made of! Here's one for the suggestion box: rename the site, herd-case is more appropriate after all.

3tsab.jpg

So my question is now...do people think that the KGSSHV (@450v) will be a better match for the SR-009 or the BHSE (@400v)? I read in a post by KG on some other thread implying that since the KGSSHV is 450v and the T2 500v, that they are the ideal match for the new flagship. Anyone have any ideas/speculation or all all those amps up to par and we'd just be splitting hairs?

1. Literally "he farts higher than his ass". Meanings: pompous, think's too highly of one's self. The implication is that what comes out of one's mouth when talking is the same as what comes out of the ass when farting.

2. Literally "it is forbidden to do the asshole". Meaning: Don't be an asshole, assholes not allowed.

Edited by guzziguy

What I truly don't understand is this reluctance to just fucking accept that there is a point to amps like the BHSE and the T2. It may be the eternal search for giant killers but once you've been exposed to the SOTA stuff there is no way to go back.

Birgir, it must be my french which makes my english invariably distorted on this site: I certainly can believe (but really cannot imagine on the other hand) that the SR-009 can sound even better than what I had the opportunity to hear. But indeed, the existence of an affordable and readily available commercial amp to drive the uber expensive SR-009 is of interest to not only myself I am convinced. That's a serious lot of money to have to buy both the SR-009 / BHSE at the same time...

Il pète plus haut que son cul.

Il est interdit de faire le con.

Hehe, I did not expect to hear that much french from this place. The first expression is (or say was when I was still living there) in use but never heard of the other one! For your reference ;)

Just give it a rest until you yourself (or someone else) actually gets to hear it with the BHSE and a good source.

I was hoping the SR009's would ship sooner in time for a local meet in SoCal where I could compare it between my SRM-323 and n3rling's BH, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Edited by purrin

arnaud don't get so bothered by people's posts here. I appreciated the cross posting since I never read Headfi unless someone links something over there.

I don't care about your posts about how easy or difficult they are to drive since this is your opinion and you compared it to the SR-007 which is a baseline, but people get rightfully upset when there is speculation about how something sounds, these sort of posts should stay at Headfi. Unless you have objective evidence or listening experience saying the top end electrostatic amps will not be of any benefit to the SR-009 doesn't hold any water here, I would quietly drop these sort of posts.

A lot less than having to find an original T2 or build one. The sr-009 is just amazing

on both the BHSE and the T2.

You will see and hear soon enough.

Dear Kevin,

I guess it will be quite some time until I can see it and hear it myself. On the other hand, lucky few like you... Don't hesitate to spill the beans, anytime convenient!

Someday I will likely own one of your creations. I am also hoping for a new amp from Stax to make honor to the SR-009, maybe with some inspiration from the T2... If Stax feels the market is mature for a 400,000JPY headphone, they probably will get tempted to release once again a no compromise amplifier.

cheers, arnaud

The Stax that made the T2 is long gone and we won't see such insanity again. I would aim a bit lower and perhaps a SRM-007t with ECC99's and a simple CCS for the output plus a nice PSU could be done at the limited price. Bring back the SRM-T1W wide chassis (which uses all the same basic parts as the slim boxes) to save money. It's a shame though that there isn't a good single triode in production that fits an amp like this...