What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Vaňhal: Symphonies, Vol. 5

Vaňhal: Symphonies, Vol. 5
Czech Chamber Philharmonic Orchestra Pardubice, Michael Halász

https://album.link/i/1608575307

Example:

Overall a nice selection of work, very much in the Classical Era, and well recorded and performed. Would recommend. 

I didn't really know Vanhal's work (or Wanhal, among others). But known and liked by his contemporaries, and I can see why. 

• Like 3

image.png

Hello Nasty (Deluxe Edition/Remastered)
Beastie Boys

https://album.link/i/721224205

Example:

like you don't know it - I was going to pull a deep cut - but this is just too good. 

"Intergalactic, kill the children, kill the children, intergalactic.." :peter:

I know it does not say that...

Anyway, a really good album. I would almost put it squarely in the acid jazz category. So many great tracks that hit hard, and with dynamics and diversity. Worthy revisit.

• Like 6

New contemporary female - pianist. 

Romance – The Piano Music of Clara Schumann

Romance – The Piano Music of Clara Schumann
Isata Kanneh-Mason

https://album.link/i/1463178540

Example:

A lovely set of recordings of Clara's work (her husband was Robert). I really liked the Romances, and the Scherzo (shared) off of this album over the orchestral works. But all well recorded by Decca. I still think Isata is growing and learning, but I have enjoyed her work.

• Like 3

On 10/7/2023 at 3:00 PM, jose said:

Looking for Japanese Jazz recordings (one of my fetishes) I found these guys. Regardless of the rather quaint appearance... these guys sound very 70's metal

One of mine as well.  There's sort of a Discord server devoted to it, but all they care about is Casiopea and T-Square.  Are you fond of "City Pop"?  Lamp, etc.?

But I digress.  All I know is Casiopea, T-Square/The Square/3rd Square and related, Hiromi, and Nucleus (Alleycat, etc.).  Wouldn't mind some recommendations.

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm doing changes to my toy room and I haven't been able to connect.

I have some Casiopea cds but I like more things by Fumio Nanri, Tsuyoshi Yamamoto, Isao Suzuki, Toru "Tiger" Okoshi... closer to "classical" Jazz, bebop, etc... one of my latest discoveries was Takashi Matsunaga Trio, great pianist IHO.

Another interesting thing is that their recordings sound very well make. I have several Japanese editions on XRCD (does anyone remember this?), Mofi, remasters, etc...

• Like 2

It's not Cash. It's not Haggard. Not Jones or Waylon or Willie. Although I love all of those guys. My favorite male Country vocalist of all time is Ray Price. IMO his vocal prowess is unsurpassed. So effortless and smooth. Take that vocal ability and put some Kristofferson lyrics in his mouth, throw some strings behind it and you've got pure Country gold.

• Like 5

I finally got the chance to see him live, but by then he was 81 years old. I was worried that my hero would no longer have the chops to perform some of my favorite songs. That however was far from what happened. He absolutely blew me away! He hadn't lost anything! Amazing show!

• Like 2

Vladimir Horowitz - Horowitz in Moscow

Vladimir Horowitz - Horowitz in Moscow
Vladimir Horowitz
2010 (Ed - 1986)

https://album.link/i/1452506788

Example:

A master playing a masters game. At 81 with his return to Moscow, he really did show that he had very few peers. I remember watching this in the 80's on "CBS Sunday Morning" with Charles Kuralt and being mesmerized. I need to play this more. 

Edited by mikeymad
  • Like 4