What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Getting my club on tonight. 

DisclosureSettle

disclosure-settle-500x500.jpg

One of my favorite releases of the year. I've been going to festivals pretty regularly for the past 4-5 years now. Bonnaroo, Jazzfest, Voodoo, Buku, and others. Of course EDM has seen a huge rise in popularity in the US in that time. I do enjoy some dubstep, and some "progressive" house, but I've been patiently waiting for the kids in America to understand electronic music doesn't have to always be an aggressive violent fuck fest. Which means I've been waiting for house music to come back.

I heard Disclosure's "Latch" somewhere and was like "hell yes, this is happening". The whole album is fantastic, just feel good dance music with flawless production and GREAT vocals and hooks. And this is only their first record. I really wanted to catch them at Bonnaroo this summer, but Bonnaroo in their wisdom schedule them in a tent instead of a stage, so I know it will be insanely overcrowded.

I just watched SNL with St. Vincent, and the new album makes sense to me, now.  Visually, they could have been Souxsie and the Banshees, and the self titled album makes mondo sense as an 80s art rock album.  I've adored everything else Annie Clark has done, not sure why I needed context on this one.

St. Vincent was AWESOME on snl. I hadn't really dug into the new album yet, but I just listened to it today after watching SNL last night. I really enjoy it. The David Byrne influence is obvious and very welcome. 

Trying to catch up on some of last year's releases. This is the first Kanye cd to live up to *some* of the hype.

Kanye WestYeezus

o-KANYE-WEST-ALBUM-ART-570.jpg?1

...and this is my #1 favorite record of 2013. Say what you will about his personality, his public antics, and his deplorable lyrics, the guy has vision. To me its as punk rock has popular hip-hop has ever gotten. Kanye took literally everything you could possibly like about his music: catchy hooks, flawless production, and addictive beats, and threw it all away. All that's left is the monster. The end result is exhilarating.

Have never seen Kanye live, will see him at Bonnaroo in a few weeks. 

There is a really fascinating interview with Rick Rubin somewhere on the internet about producing this album. 

here it is: http://www.newsweek.com/2013/06/26/rick-rubin-crashing-kanyes-album-15-days-237646.html

• Like 1

Posty - not sure if you run much, but I can confirm that Disclosure is officially awesome music to run by.

Enjoy Bonnaroo! Allison and I were so close to going this year but the camping situation still is a turn-off. I think next year we might crack and just go for it.

Edited by Aura

Posty - not sure if you run much, but I can confirm that Disclosure is officially awesome music to run by.

Enjoy Bonnaroo! Allison and I were so close to going this year but the camping situation still is a turn-off. I think next year we might crack and just go for it.

I'm not a runner. I enjoy it but everytime I start, about 2-3 months in I hurt myself somehow. Shin splints, toe issues, something. I've gone and gotten the right shoes etc. Maybe I just run wrong. Same thing happened to my Dad, and he switched to stationary bike. I row now, not as much as I should but some is better than none, and I concur Disclosure is AWESOME music to exercise to.

As far as camping at Bonnaroo is concerned, I haven't camped the past two years. I stay in a hotel in Murfreesboro. Its about a 30 minute drive, and I just park in day parking. Booked a room at Baymont Inn for around $70/night this year. Usually I go from about 3pm to 3am, give or take an hour. I did the camping thing in 2003 and 2004 and it is brutal, never again.

So if you and Alison ever want to go to Bonnaroo, this year or another year, you have a sober driver happy to assist in your commute back to your hotel. :) I think I'll continue to go to Bonnaroo every year until I am physically incapable of doing so.

• Like 1

hlc7rdh.jpg

Oi-Skall Mates ‎– 12-Mates Skall Nighter Woo.....

A glorious, absolutely batshit insane Japanese ska album.  Since 2001, it has only been on the internets in 128k mp3.  A CD copy has appeared on the 'Bay for $50-100 a couple times over the last dozen or so years.  I scored one for $10 last fall, and just FLAC'd it with 100% log (you don't need to know what that means.)  I am now enjoying the fruits of my labors.

Is that the 12 disc or so album that was on amazon for download for like, 8$ a year or two ago?

**BRENT**

15 and $9, but yep. LPs are only $1250 and MP3s $109 now. If there's a follow up question PM me. ;)

Now....

slowtraincoming.jpg

• Like 2