What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Listening to the Laurie Anderson, Wm. S. Burroughs and John Giorno lp's " You're the Guy I Want to Share My Money With".

Bought it on the 'bay from a seller in Santa Cruz. For folks who don't know, Santa Cruz is a 25 minute drive from my house.

Unfortunately, this record took a wrong turn at the infamous Bell Gardens's USPS sorting station and ended up looking up at faces on Mt Rushmore in South Dakota.

Amazingly enough, the double records arrived looking like it was sent this week!

You're the Guy I Want to Share My Money With.jpg

• Like 1

I'd never heard of this double lp until I heard about it during a discussion of "multisided records".

On side 4 there are 3 grooves. Anderson, Burroughs and Giorno each perform a piece on their own groove. 

So side 4 is about 5 minutes long,.. three times.

Still haven't finished listening to it but for the most part, it's more of an art recording than music.

On 10/4/2016 at 0:56 PM, Hopstretch said:

Pixies -- Head Carrier

pixies-nuevo-album.jpg

I tried to listen to it last night. With Black Francis' voice long since gone and no Kim Deal I can't say I liked it that much. Listened to half of it and then switched to Bossanova. Much better!

3 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

I'm a real fan of Anderson, but I don't have that. I was frankly amazed that she is now 69. Where have the decades gone?

Craig, I have always enjoyed Big Science. Any other Anderson recommendations?

On the Burroughs side, his collaboration with Tom Waits on Black Rider (I think it was some theatrical presentation) is really cool. Thought he was supposed to have done something with Nirvana in the 90s but never looked into it.

3 hours ago, Sherwood said:

Got a libretto and some commentary as well, planning on 1-2 hours a night for the next few weeks.

Good luck

This has been on repeat the past few days. Glenn Gould (creator of "GPAADAK", the Gould Plan for the Abolition of Applause and Demonstrations of All Kinds) died on October 4, only a few days after his 50th birthday. Oscar Shumsky was my former teacher's former teacher

I love Laurie Anderson.  Remind me, some time, to tell the stories of seeing her live.  I have that on CD somewhere, but don't remember it beyond confirmation that yes, it was mostly an art piece, not that there's anything wrong with that.  I should dig it out and give it another listen.

George -- I am not Craig, but:  Big Science and United States I-IV Live.

EDIT:  Oh, and without a doubt:

File:Laurie Anderson-Town Hall.jpg

I wasn't at the New York show, but I was at the DC show just a couple days earlier, but immediately after 9/11, and it was just her and her backing band, with no performance art whatsoever, and it reminded me just how powerful she is with even just her music.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GeorgeP said:

Craig, I have always enjoyed Big Science. Any other Anderson recommendations?

On the Burroughs side, his collaboration with Tom Waits on Black Rider (I think it was some theatrical presentation) is really cool. Thought he was supposed to have done something with Nirvana in the 90s but never looked into it.

Strange Angels. In her earlier stuff it was either speech or vocoder. For Strange Angels she had to go to singing lessons.

On other topics:

The Ring. Saw the whole thing live three years ago here https://lfo.org.uk/ . Each part was separated by a day, so the whole thing fitted into a week.  Awesome.  My wife is not a Wagner fan, but she was in tears at various points, and latched on to the massive story arc of the whole cycle.

And if you like Gould, and a very strange guy he was too, buy the boxed set of everything he ever did. 40 CD's. It is particularly interesting to compare his two recordings of the Goldberg Variations, one as a young man and one a year before his untimely death at the age of 50. They are very, very different. In all his recordings you have to ignore his grunting though.

• Like 3