What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

The Cars – Shake It Up

Mobile Fidelity has gone and released a few more of the Cars albums (The Cars (1978) and Heartbeat City) on SACD. I generally avoid re-purchasing albums I already have, but comparing the Audio Fidelity gold discs (and the Elektra HDCDs) against the Mo-Fi SACDs makes for an interesting audiophile experiment. That's what I tell myself, anyway. :o)

UDCD788-2.jpg

Edited by HiWire

18 hours ago, MexicanDragon said:

Have you seen them live? Highly recommended.

I have not.  Added to my bucket list.

22 hours ago, grawk said:

I struggle with the concept of an audiophile release of a cars album.

(facepalm)

So incorrect.  So very, very incorrect.

I have them all on HDCD.  EDIT:  Well not all -- the first five.  :)

Their original self-titled album was basically a collection of hit singles... an incredibly accomplished debut. The following albums varied in quality (I'm not sure why so many people like Candy-O – it has a nice jacket cover), but their guitar/synth sound evolved into their penultimate pop album, Heartbeat City, which has a kind of era-defining quality. Nobody will ever accuse the Cars of having deep lyrics or pretentious concept albums like Pink Floyd (who I also like), but I enjoy their stripped-down approach to pop songs.

I've always been fascinated by this transition period, when classic rock morphed into post-punk, corporate rock, New Wave, synthpop, hair metal, etc., partly because it was the music of my childhood. Albums like Fleetwood Mac's Tango in the Night or Bad Company's Desolation Angels hold a kind of morbid fascination over me.

My next purchase from Mo-Fi will be the Pixies' Trompe Le Monde.

UDSACD2066-2.jpg

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 1