And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I've sat in the jury pool three times, been excused twice. Apparently sounding decisive does not help in getting me selected (so one attorney told me on the way out of the court house).

Saw Richard Thomas in 12 Angry Men on stage. Surprisingly good performance.

I served last year during a civil trial, it was pretty interesting. We had to take the emotion out of it (we were all feeling very bad for a guy that had an accident), and focus on the legal rules. He ended up not getting any settlement. It was only a day and a half, and a decent learning experience.

We also realized that his council stunk; they should have easily been able to recognize the legal ruling that would have dismissed his complaint. And because they didn't file for something in the situation where the employer WAS likely negligent, they got nothing.....

I served last year during a civil trial, it was pretty interesting. We had to take the emotion out of it (we were all feeling very bad for a guy that had an accident), and focus on the legal rules. He ended up not getting any settlement. It was only a day and a half, and a decent learning experience.

We also realized that his council stunk; they should have easily been able to recognize the legal ruling that would have dismissed his complaint. And because they didn't file for something in the situation where the employer WAS likely negligent, they got nothing.....

......and that is specifically why I hire the best attorneys to defend me in all of my attempted murder trials. Keeps me on the streets out of court and available for meets.

I've served on two juries, one civil, one criminal. The criminal trial was more interesting, it was a bank employee accused of stealing money from the bank. We were all pretty sure he was guilty, but the prosecutor was so bad he never nailed it down conclusively and we unanimously acquitted him. In that case it looks like crime did pay.

Happy birthday. What was the art medium?

Thanks. My daughter did a wood sculpture of a lion, and my son did a photograph. We both took a photo of a snowscape with our iPhones, after we pulled over to the side of the road, but his came out better than mine. This is the photo he won the ribbon with, which I posted a while back in the photography thread (click to enlarge):

cheyennemountainsnowsma.jpg

Here is the one I took, and I missed the ray of sunlight coming in through the clouds:

cheyennemountainsnow2.jpg

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

Nice, both things I would like to explore in the future. Have done charcoal, oil pastels, watercolor, and lightly dabbed into oil painting before I quit. Wish I kept on but was busy, and still am.

Thanks. I edited my last post with a copy of my son's winning photo. I think his came out better than mine, as he didn't get too much foreground in the shot and he caught a ray of sunlight coming in through the clouds. Some people might complain he caught too much sky instead.

We're proud of both of them. My younger daughter won an award last year in art too. I'm gonna try to take a photo of the sculpture and of the other one's computer art and post it sometime.

Talked or e-chatted to a couple folks from my old company....they had a layoff of 27 people in IT alone.....maybe 20-35%......outsourcing.....

Some are transitioning and will get a bonus if they stay on to help; that's not so bad. But I'm sure it was an exhausting, horrible day for everyone.

Happy Birthday Larry and congratulations to both of your children.

I spent a good chunk of today, the third day of our spring break, replacing wires between the satellite antenna and the switch and receivers. Our lovely new dog just loves the taste of RG-6u. :palm: The rest of the day was spent cleaning gutters and the refuse from the winter's ice storms. Can't wait for spring break to be over so I can get some rest.