And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Come and listen to a story about a man named Wayne.

Single 24-hour Subway nearby was a bit of a pain.

Comin' back with food and phones on his ears,

And up through the ground came a bubblin clear.

Edited by blessingx

Well, after the fun of The Bushy Report launch party, now that it has been broadcast we can put it up on youtube. So we have. In Three Parts.

Should I go Alan Smithee on it?

How did they make me do this?

post-545-0-07244800-1310450191_thumb.png

Why is everyone having so much fun?

post-545-0-03722500-1310450236_thumb.png

Could it be the cocktails?

post-545-0-24995100-1310450311_thumb.png

For Best Results, imagine you are watching it at 11PM on a Saturday Night. (be thankful I didn't embed the videos :) )

Come and listen to a story about a man named Wayne.

Single 24-hour Subway nearby was a bit of a pain.

Comin' back with food and phones on his ears,

And up through the ground came a bubblin clear.

Man, I love that fuckin' 24-hour Subway. I call it my kitchen. When I walk in, they'll make me anything I want. Doesn't matter. All the girls that work there love Santa and want to be elves this year. Footlong meatball with 16 meatballs? Sure, why not? Don't want the bread, just put it in a bowl? No problem. You want meatball sauce on your pizza and you want extra cheese? We're not supposed to do those things... but for Santa, why not?

And yes, the only reason that I left the house the other day (which was a Sunday, also known as my day of "Don't bother to get out of bed" rest) was to go to the kitchen. Must have been almost 5pm before I even saw the light of day... and all of the water.

(Yesterday) I outsmarted amazon.

On Saturday I ordered a Panasonic TS10 and had it shipped one day mail, to arrive today. Yesterday, I was *extremely* pissed to find out they shipped it via Ensenda (pretty much guaranteeing it would not arrive by today, the time I need it)! [Don't know if you have had any experience with Ensenda but all of my experiences have been nothing but FAIL.] At that point, all that was going through my mind was fuck amazon, fuck Ensenda, I am never going to use amazon again... blah blah blah. But then I decided to try and outsmart them. I waited until shortly before the "cutoff window" for one day shipping and ordered another camera (to be careful, in another color so it might have to ship from another warehouse). My thought was that they may have to use a real carrier if they have less than 24 hours to get it to me. This morning I was happy to wake up and see a message from amazon that it had shipped via UPS next day saver and was estimated to be delivered today. All is good now, except I am still a little pissed at amazon for using Ensenda - to be honest.

Someone may flag the home video example for it being on youtube. Try dailymotion if you must.

Care to expand / explain?

CMCM.TV had the right of first broadcast (hence no posting on youtube prior to broadcast).

As producers of the show we own the copyright. Cast / crew signed the appropriate waivers.

Archive.org clips are creative commons / fair use.

Replaced the stock hard drive in MBP with something faster (though not with SSD, unfortunately). I'd forgotten how slow these stock drives are in Macbooks and MBPs.

What kind did you get? My new 500Gb Momentus XT hybrid drive is significantly faster than the old 5400 rpm drive if I'm loading something that is already on the SSD portion - things like mail, contacts, calendar, safari, and iPhoto load almost instantly now, which makes me very happy. I'm sure I'll get used to the extra speed and want more, eventually. Maybe when those 480-512 Gb SSD come down closer to $500 I'll get one.

I thought about getting a big SSD now, except that I could almost buy a new MBA for just a little more money. I got my 15" MBP 2.5 years ago (1st unibody model), but to counter the age it can take 8Gb RAM and an SSD and still perform at a much higher level if I want. Apple replaced the battery recently under Applecare, and I only have 7 charge cycles on the new one, so I think I can squeeze out a few more years if I have to.

What kind did you get? My new 500Gb Momentus XT hybrid drive is significantly faster than the old 5400 rpm drive if I'm loading something that is already on the SSD portion - things like mail, contacts, calendar, safari, and iPhoto load almost instantly now, which makes me very happy. I'm sure I'll get used to the extra speed and want more, eventually. Maybe when those 480-512 Gb SSD come down closer to $500 I'll get one.

I ended up with this - WD Scorpio Black 500GB BPKT

I thought about getting a Momentus XT, but reports of early deaths/issues were bit worrisome so I decided against it. I know they've reportedly fixed those issues via firmware, but I didn't feel like taking a chance on one.

the stock drives are terrible.

No kidding. The performance difference between the stock drive and my new drive is really noticeable. I can't imagine how much faster/snappier it must be with a SSD.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Care to expand / explain?

CMCM.TV had the right of first broadcast (hence no posting on youtube prior to broadcast).

As producers of the show we own the copyright. Cast / crew signed the appropriate waivers.

Archive.org clips are creative commons / fair use.

Oh. You have nude girls dancing in that video. Youtube doesn't like nudity.

if you happen to be a benchmark, you are correct. if you are a human using a computer, and relying on subjective values, it's about as fast.

Is the "real world usage" factor really that noticable over a good HDD? I have a 300GB velociraptor atm.

Always fancied one of those iRam drives, guess they're obsolete now.

the SSD will be way faster. instant launches of applications, instant propagating of any databases stored on the drive. anytime you have to wait for I/O will be essentially instantaneous with the SSD.

I've been contemplating going with an OptiBay and replacing the DVD drive in my MacBook Pro with an SSD. Throw the OS on a 40 GB SSD (Intel's are about $100) and use the 500 GB HDD for storage and such. Probably Bootcamp too as I don't give a shit how fast Windows is. I only use it to be a slave to the man at work.

Congrats on the student defense. I only got 1 masters student through in my time as a professor but it was rewarding.

This week I picked up a spot on the committee (or possibly co-chair) for PhD student at U of Michigan which should be interesting though it will be slow going. At least I won't have to do much/any of the work and I'll get some trips out to Ann Arbor for sharing my research ideas and knowledge and not bringing any money.