What are you Grilling now?

Edwood

• 3 weeks later...

Whole packer Brisket in anything better than Select grade is more difficult to get than other meats in LA.

I've gotten a membership at Restaurant Depot, and wow, the meat selection is ridonkulous.  They have plenty of whole packer brisket there, and at less than $3 per pound. 

So, next Que will be Brisket for me.  Will try injecting and wrap with foil, a la Texas Crutch.

• 4 weeks later...

Was about to crutch it in foil, but I popped the Keg open, and the meat was still sopping wet, still had quite a ways to go to form a nice bark, and it was already at 150.  So I'm going to skip the crutch this time and see how it turns out.  The Keg holds in moisture so well anyways.  I always have issues with it dripping out the bottom vent, yet the fire never dies. 

Guess it's time to sleep and let my Auber do the work, and let my Maverick ET-732 wake me up if it somehow gets to 190 really fast. 

Edited by Edwood

First Brisket done.

I ended up skipping the crutch.  I did wrap in foil and towels and rested it faux cambro in a cooler for about 2.5hrs.

Edwood_1st_BisketCook_02_zpsa2228e6f.jpg

Edwood_1st_BisketCook_03_zps669d0925.jpg

Edwood_1st_BisketCook_04_zps8310d450.jpg

One thing that really sucks about the Big Steel Keg is that getting a decent smoke ring is very difficult. 

Definitely need a really really sharp carving knife to slice, it really starts falling apart when cutting against the grain.

I think for the next Brisket I try, I will use less salt and pepper.  Seems like Texans like death by sodium and pepper.  I used half the black pepper than the recipe called for, and it's still a bit too much.

Edited by Edwood
  • Like 1

Looks awesome Ed!

14 lbs!

The first time I bought a big brisket, I was at the butchers counter and pointed at the one I thought looked good.

When the guy unrolled it, I was totally freaking at the size of the thing. It reminded me of when the aliens unfolded themselves off the walls of the reactor in "Aliens".

But I had to keep my "cool" demeanor and told him to wrap it up.

That one was just 8lbs IIIRC.

Thank god it turned out pretty good!

This is from Sunday night.  I started to prepare the T-bone steak that I bought a couple of days before and noticed that it cost over $15. I buy my steaks from a local Mexican market and they have been running a special at $3.96/lb.  I thought that maybe they had gone back to their normal price, but no, the price hadn't changed.  Then I noticed that the steak was just under 4 lbs.  Here it is before cooking:

raw_steak_zps5a5c2a30.jpg

OK, it was a little larger than normal. ;)

Here it is after being grilled and removing that night's portion.

grilled_steak_zps460bdb67.jpg

It was (and still is) delicious.  Tomorrow night's dinner will be the 4th meal from it.

Two nights ago, I drove by an older Ducane gas grill with a FREE sign on it out on the road near my in-laws in Michigan.  There was another note that they had a full tank of propane with the necessary older style connector for $25 all in.  I got my nutty brother-in-law and we went back for it with his Yukon rental tank.  After wrangling it into the truck we went down the driveway for the propane.  The man was extremely happy to see it go, and said that while it worked just fine it did not develop a high enough heat to use in winter so he had replaced it this year.  Duly warned, we sprung for the $25 anyway, and brought it back to the compound.  Last night we set it up, cleaned it up, and I grilled some flank steak and chicken breasts for the masses.  Its ignition works on one side and luckily there is a spot to slide in a match or lighter on the other side.  OK, so it doesn't develop a truly searing heat, and it is more of a low -n- slow style of cooking, but the chicken was moist and tender and fully cooked and the steak was cooked just right inside and only lacked the sear marks. Forgot to take pictures, because I was pissed at my step-father-in-law and wasn't thinking straight.  It wasn't until today that I told him I ought to punch him for the way he treated my wife when all she was doing was trying to help him and Claire's mom who are too old to be living on their own in the woods, but that is a whole different story....

Edited by Voltron

trying to decide between these 2 grills, with about a $300 cap

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-1401001-Performer-Silver-Charcoal/dp/B0098HR1H6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376090919

$229 - some $$ leftover for upgrades or additional items 

There are some of the Performer Platinum on ebay for $315 shipped, but its a bit too large since the table can't be folded down.

or

http://www.lowes.com/pd_131712-49769-6719_0__?productId=3609214&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-OutdoorLivingRecreation-_-Grills-_-3609214&CAWELAID=1187717793&kpid=3609214&%22cagpspn=pla%22#BVRRWidgetID

$299 + 5.3% sales tax, can probably get a 10% off coupon on ebay for a few bucks

Edited by justin

• 2 weeks later...