What are you Grilling now?

Edwood

Brisket is in the Keg.  I left it in the fridge to make sure it was as cold as possible before putting it in the Keg.  I also holding the cooking temp at around 185F for the smoking phase.  Also trying the wet smoke method and put in a soup can full of water.  I'll refill it when I add more pellets in the Smoke Daddy.

So if I don't get a nice smoke ring this time, it's just not happening with my Keg. 

Haha, so shiny and clean. 

Here's pics of the Brisket finished for dinner.

Leaner this time.  Still OK amount of fat in the flat area.

Edwood_2nd_BisketCook_01_zps01cf7b14.jpg

All done

Edwood_2nd_BisketCook_02_zps4963eeca.jpg

Drier this time.  But still very good.  I guess I'm just not getting a thick visible smoke ring ever with the Keg.  It's not really known for that one.

Edwood_2nd_BisketCook_03_zpsc314dbc2.jpg

Oh well, still tasty.  But I'll have to say, Brisket is a lot more challenging than any other meat I've done.

• 4 weeks later...

It was in a PM.  500 words is an exageration, and it's probably nothing you don't know, but here it is:  

Part 1: Only season them if they are going to stay out for a while. You want to dry out the surfaces, but salting them before, say, an hour before they go onto the grill is just going to make the surfaces wet, and you won't get a good sear. If they can stay out, salt one side, place the other side on a piece of paper towel, wait an hour, flip, and repeat.  I usually put my steaks out for 2 hours.  I would only season them with good salt, myself.  I also wouldn't go much beyond super rare, but that's me.

Part 2: Well, cooked is in the eye of the beholder.  If you oil, oil the meat, not the grill, and don't worry about flipping the steaks too much: scientific tests show that the meat sears best if you flip it more, not less, as it causes more evaporation.  Basically, as long as you don't salt too early, and you salt evenly, and you flip a few times (but keep track of how much time the meat stays on temp!), you'll have a killer steak.  A bit of chimichurri on after the meat rests is awesome, too.

Part 3: I would use the hottest part of the grill, btw, as long as it is less than 600 or so degrees at grill level.  Maybe cut a small piece of beef off and test it out, first.

Part 4: If any heathens want it not rare, put the meat in the oven before you grill. Well preheated 350 oven, on a sheet pan, and do not preheat the pan. Times are assuming the meat is room temp, all the way through. 5 minutes for rare (I eat my steaks blue, as the French say, which is totally raw other than the sear), 7 minutes for medium rare, 9 minutes for medium. These are approximates, so don't yell at me if it goes either way. If anybody orders those steaks medium, just kill them. Anyway, putting them in the oven first minimizes the grey ring.

No pepper???  Whatever. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

5th Time's a Charm.

Brisket is the most challenging piece of meat I've ever handled.  (not counting Steve)

Finally starting to get the hang of it.

1012876_10200555104110102_1211284568_n.j

1464002_10200555104270106_277056702_n.jp

Started off with USDA Prime Whole Packer Brisket from Costco.  I really really hope they keep carrying Prime Brisket like this one.  $2.59/lb!!!!  Fucking bargain!

Was 14.5lb hunk of Brisket.  I trimmed and injected it with beef stock.  Used Apple wood chunks to start, then used Mesquite pellets in my Smoke Daddy.  I think I'm going to stick with Mesquite from now on, was better than Hickory and Apple.

Also rested it in a cooler Faux Cambro for a full 3 hours. 

Oh, and I need to get a different kind of knife or sharpen the shit out of this Shun slicer, this Brisket was so falling apart in the flat area, it was mushing it while I was trying to slice.  Picking up a slice, it would break apart if you shook it a little bit.  Perfection!  Took only 5 tries to get to this level.  Heheh.