Starting to really hate that other site...

TMoney

Thanks for the suggestions. I hate not having technical knowledge and not being able to contribute more meaningfully. I always find it very frustrating to learn something you have no background in, but I suppose any learning is frustrating and it's time to just man up and build something.

Instead of coming here to complain about other sites, I suggest complaining on the other sites themselves.

I tried that, heavily, a few years back. The problem is that the other site as we remembered it only exists in our heads. Nearly everybody that's there now joined after it turned to shit, and shit is all they ever knew. Hell, most of the trolls joined because that's the way they like it. Nobody that's there now was there to remember the audiophole/enthusiast board days and anybody yelling about quality content, technical knowledge, and responsibility to the community just comes off as more old men yelling about getting off their lawn.

It's not our lawn anymore, it's theirs. Any attempt to help it would be us trying to change it into something it isn't, forcefully, and isn't going to work - and to my mind isn't worth the effort.

Yes, it's having a destructive effect on the hobby but I don't know what can be done about it apart from what we're doing already.

Thanks for the suggestions. I hate not having technical knowledge and not being able to contribute more meaningfully. I always find it very frustrating to learn something you have no background in, but I suppose any learning is frustrating and it's time to just man up and build something.

I tried that, heavily, a few years back. The problem is that the other site as we remembered it only exists in our heads. Nearly everybody that's there now joined after it turned to shit, and shit is all they ever knew. Hell, most of the trolls joined because that's the way they like it. Nobody that's there now was there to remember the audiophole/enthusiast board days and anybody yelling about quality content, technical knowledge, and responsibility to the community just comes off as more old men yelling about getting off their lawn.

It's not our lawn anymore, it's theirs. Any attempt to help it would be us trying to change it into something it isn't, forcefully, and isn't going to work - and to my mind isn't worth the effort.

Yes, it's having a destructive effect on the hobby but I don't know what can be done about it apart from what we're doing already.

Yep almost all of the reg date people from 2001-04 seem to have just left Headfi. Even browsing the classified section I rarely see any screenames I recognize.

Sadly there is some great info there in the archives. But it's a chore to find with the poor search engine.

From extremely high resolution pictures that were provided to us the following was generated, and has been verified by an owner of the amplifier. This is an early version before the addition of the balanced input. There is one error in the schematic, and the inductor has been measured at 25 millihenrys by an inductance meter of unknown accuracy. http://gilmore.chem....wooaudiowes.pdf And that is the issue with this amp.

Am I the only one that thinks this can't be right? Maybe it is late, and I am tired, but R12, R13, and R14 don't make any sense, unless R14 is tied to a negative rail and not ground. And were does C7 go? Shouldn't it connect to U3 instead of C5?

Only the front stator amplifier is shown. The rear stator amplifier is identical to the

front and connects to C7. (pdf updated for clarity)

R12,13,14 do make sense, its a differential amplifier. But the bias is a bit off

and it can clip. It is correct as shown, at least for this version of the amplifier.

There is no negative rail. There should be to bias the output stage.

More on the darkstar... Input chip is great, i used it on my new preamp. But its bipolar

and has significant offset current. I added a servo to drive the vocm pin to make

sure the common mode voltage is zero. If ray had a regular pot in there instead

of the dact, you would clearly hear woosh as you turn the knob, problems he has

had on other stuff in the past. If you run the darkstar unbalanced, output DC may

damage your headphones. Nice job ray.

Edited by kevin gilmore

Blah blah blah. I really could give a shit about Jude's knowledge, or lack thereof. What matters to me is how much he looks like Lloyd from Entourage. I make sure I yell "Lloyd" like Ari as loud as I can when ever I see him.

No kidding! Jude's a bit spineless, and he's protecting his interests. Nothing new here. Nothing we haven't hashed out 500 times. Why do we care?

I understand that we all had a vested interest in that site, but it's not that site anymore. Jude had his own ideas about where he wanted to go, and he didn't ask for our opinions, that's his option, because it's his site. I'm sorry to see the old HF sitting in the driveway up on blocks too, but we aren't going to change that, especially by re-hashing it every month.

This site gives me far more enjoyment than that one ever did. No it's not the same, nor would I want it to be. It's what we have built together, and this time the site owner seems to understand us, and our desire for a place to call ours.

We need to get past the complaining about Head-Fi. That said, I do enjoy the links to some of the stupid shit people spout over there. :)

Edited by swt61

The only time I think about the other site is either when it is mentioned here or I have something to sell. Steve said it well. HF is what Jude wants it to be. HC is the experience I'm looking for. No need to look back or relive the past. I'd rather enjoy what we have here.

What Steve said, although I don't go quite far enough back to remember what HF was like in the glory days. I think I floated in on one of the first of many waves that cumulatively wrecked everything, in fact.

For the last year at least I've only logged in there to check the thread about Winnipeg meets. Sadly I've not been able to convince any of my locals to register here, so far at least.

My take on the WES is that they took the GES, threw in some octal tubes, added some not so clever designs "twists" and called it a day. It's also quite clear from my discussions with WES owners that Woo are at a loss how make the amps work properly. One chap was complaining about poor sound quality so Jack asked him to send the amp in for the "Mk2 upgrade". When the amp arrived they found out the amp already had the upgrade... rolleyes.gif Then their suggestion was to improve the PSU with some Jensen caps, not something that would tackled the real issue. Some other chap complained about the DACT and asked to have the gain lowered. Then Jack tried to sell him a 1k$ RK50 as the only possible fix.

Getting your hands dirty is the best way to learn anything IMO. When you have a pile of parts in front of you not doing what they should, you are pretty much forced to understand the circuit to fix the issue. I'd also recommend to build pretty much anything you can think of, tubes, SS, opamps, preamps, poweramps etc. since all of them have their own traits.

I just read over Doug's parafeed article and I highly recommend it. :)

My take on the WES is that they took the GES, threw in some octal tubes, added some not so clever designs "twists" and called it a day. It's also quite clear from my discussions with WES owners that Woo are at a loss how make the amps work properly. One chap was complaining about poor sound quality so Jack asked him to send the amp in for the "Mk2 upgrade". When the amp arrived they found out the amp already had the upgrade... rolleyes.gif Then their suggestion was to improve the PSU with some Jensen caps, not something that would tackled the real issue. Some other chap complained about the DACT and asked to have the gain lowered. Then Jack tried to sell him a 1k$ RK50 as the only possible fix.

Ouch. That sounds a lot like the little Russian guy in Denver.

This site gives me far more enjoyment than that one ever did. No it's not the same, nor would I want it to be. It's what we have built together, and this time the site owner seems to understand us, and our desire for a place to call ours.

We need to get past the complaining about Head-Fi. That said, I do enjoy the links to some of the stupid shit people spout over there. smile.png

This multiplied by one billion.

Only the front stator amplifier is shown. The rear stator amplifier is identical to the

front and connects to C7. (pdf updated for clarity)

Makes sense.

R12,13,14 do make sense, its a differential amplifier. But the bias is a bit off

and it can clip. It is correct as shown, at least for this version of the amplifier.

There is no negative rail.

That's horrible. A LM334 in the tail would work wonders ...