HD650 scalability?

Navyblue

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actooly, I think I said I loved the Citiscape Downtown, and thought the L1 was very good. I always try to factor in price.

I think it was the girl in the video that said I loved it ... course I may have fallen into the "early on and impressed" mode and made a post somewhere.

I think it's a very nicely styled gentleman's headphone with good, "upper mid-fi" sound but not really good resolution and clarity.

It's good value for money though, I don't think there's much better in a $249 open can, but it's not up to "audiophile" level, I don't think.

I can't believe I'm tempted to try the 800 again.

Dinny what you want is an HD600 and a SUSE Dynamite. It will sound real good minus the blownout soundstage and piercing treble. Jeff has Colin being his builder lackey, with some lawyer persuasion I think you could rope him in as well.

While I'm "Extreme"ly happy with my HD800, I'll be happy to give it a try. I'm assuming that since you tried many different materials and thicknesses, that the mod is easily reversible? Otherwise, you went though a lot of pairs of HD800s. laugh.png

Edit: Actually, I'm "Menace"ly happy, though "Lite"ly.

Edited by guzziguy

Dinny what you want is an HD600 and a SUSE Dynamite. It will sound real good minus the blownout soundstage and piercing treble. Jeff has Colin being his builder lackey, with some lawyer persuasion I think you could rope him in as well.

For some reason that reminds me of something--are you looking for HD 580 parts?

I think it's a very nicely styled gentleman's headphone with good, "upper mid-fi" sound but not really good resolution and clarity.

It's good value for money though, I don't think there's much better in a $249 open can, but it's not up to "audiophile" level, I don't think.

Right on the money, matching my impressions.

What is a SUSE Dynamite?

At some point I'd like to hear a modded 800 but I doubt that it'd get me to buy another pair of Senns. Sure, they're technically better than the Grados that I own but at this point I'm in it for the fun of the listen and the HF2's provide plenty of fun. Someday I'll get the stax rig back up and running and that should cover the accuracy portion of the equation.

Dinny,

Just enjoy the beautiful, beautiful music.

At some point I'd like to hear a modded 800 but I doubt that it'd get me to buy another pair of Senns. Sure, they're technically better than the Grados that I own but at this point I'm in it for the fun of the listen and the HF2's provide plenty of fun. Someday I'll get the stax rig back up and running and that should cover the accuracy portion of the equation.

Dinny,

Just enjoy the beautiful, beautiful music.

I love my HD800, but definitely want to hear a modded version. So I'll try the mod on mine. I like my HF2 a lot too, but not as much as the HD800 and the HF2 is not near as comfortable either. Maybe you need to hear it out of a good amp? angel.gif

Your advice to Dinny is spot on.

IMO the power you feed them has to do with the presence of resonances and the lack of balance.

The resonance in the LCD-2 seems to vary in severity between units, but it's not power or amp related. I heard terrible resonance/reverb (and might have heard veil too if the reverb hadn't kept me from listening to them) in my LCD-2 and yet have heard nothing like that in any other orthos, not even the 1979 Fostex T50, which has a driver of similar construction and similar size to the LCD-2, and yet is much harder to drive. I've heard a lot of orthos on this gear and never heard anything like that resonance/reverb except when experimenting with damping schemes and enclosures that did not work or were not ideal.

I didn't even hear anything like that when I plugged the HE6 prototype (harder to drive than the production HE6) directly into an ipod.

It's coming from the driver, pads, damping or enclosure.

Unless you think the LCD-2 has amp requirements that are unique among planar magnetics?

Unless you think the LCD-2 has amp requirements that are unique among planar magnetics?

I thought this was given in the same fashion as some Stax models have a midrange resonance while others don't using pretty much identical drivers. Being harder/easier to drive means nothing in this regard.

Actooly, I think I said I loved the Citiscape Downtown, and thought the L1 was very good. I always try to factor in price.

I think it was the girl in the video that said I loved it ... course I may have fallen into the "early on and impressed" mode and made a post somewhere.

I guess I should have prefaced by saying that I'm in the market for a more portable headphone. Nothing other than a good stat rig would pull me away from the K1000 at home.

Now I'm curious about the Citiscape Downtown. They're even smaller and of coarse quite a bit cheaper. I guess I should try to audition the Creative Aurvana as well.