Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

I just got Salamander rack with adjustable shelves delivered (5 shelves but I may only use 4 of them).  

How much space should I leave for the BH?  I was thinking of putting the BH on the second to top shelf and leaving an extra 4-6" of space between the top of the tubes and the next shelf.  Will that be sufficient?  2cbdfa10-7c88-9a08-2297-516ba5fa4470

Here is my setup right now.  The amount of heat from the Apex Peak is fine but I need more room between the top of the BH and the next shelf (only 3/4" right now). 

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458412027.302697

Edited by shellylh

Actually, I was noticing how much dust white dusty crap* is in my apartment.  I really hate it and was thinking that maybe I should get a turntable dustcover to put over the amp when not in use and put it on the top shelf.   The only problem would be the giant cord protruding out the back of the amp.  Anyone made a plastic/acrylic dustcover for their turntable or amp? 

This place has some decent prices but there is no hole for the cords.

At what point can dust buildup do damage/short circuit the amp? 

I guess I just need to cover the holes while it isn't in use.  Maybe I can find some really thin black plastic and cut out holes for the tubes to use when it is not in use.  Would this cause moisture to build up inside of the amp.  Maybe I should use something breathable like fabric or paper instead? What would happen to the amp if I accidentally turned it on with all the ventilation holes covered?

I really don't want to move but I am really tired of the white dust all over everything (I knew about this and shouldn't have moved into this place). 

*I am pretty sure most of it is from the cement ceiling degrading. 

Edited by shellylh

5 hours ago, shellylh said:

Actually, I was noticing how much dust white dusty crap* is in my apartment.  I really hate it and was thinking that maybe I should get a turntable dustcover to put over the amp when not in use and put it on the top shelf.   The only problem would be the giant cord protruding out the back of the amp.  Anyone made a plastic/acrylic dustcover for their turntable or amp? 

This place has some decent prices but there is no hole for the cords.

At what point can dust buildup do damage/short circuit the amp? 

I guess I just need to cover the holes while it isn't in use.  Maybe I can find some really thin black plastic and cut out holes for the tubes to use when it is not in use.  Would this cause moisture to build up inside of the amp.  Maybe I should use something breathable like fabric or paper instead? What would happen to the amp if I accidentally turned it on with all the ventilation holes covered?

I really don't want to move but I am really tired of the white dust all over everything (I knew about this and shouldn't have moved into this place). 

*I am pretty sure most of it is from the cement ceiling degrading. 

I use a tablecloth I cut up and my sister offered to sew up the edges.

I got 4 pieces of cloth and lots of leftover material out of it.

2 pieces for the BHSE and 2 for the DIYT2.

The material is reasonably dust-proof and drapes over the gear better than plastic would.

My second choice would have been thick terry towel, but the tablecloth turned out great in a shade somewhere between royal blue and navy blue.

10 hours ago, shellylh said:

I just got Salamander rack with adjustable shelves delivered (5 shelves but I may only use 4 of them).  

How much space should I leave for the BH?  I was thinking of putting the BH on the second to top shelf and leaving an extra 4-6" of space between the top of the tubes and the next shelf.  Will that be sufficient?  

Any idea of how much space to leave above the BHSE?

Probably a daft question Shelly - but why not put the BHSE on the top shelf?

Just looked at custom plastic covers (like for a record deck) - less expensive than I thought they would be.  http://www.sora-shop.com/Customized-Products/Custom-Turntable-Cover.html put in 50cm x 40cm x 20cm with no base just for laughs and got 56 Euro - or about $65.  I'm not suggesting for one instant that you buy in Europe and ship to the US - but there must be similar outfits locally that do the same sort of thing for not much money.

The two photos are of the amp section of my BHSE.

The first photo is showing a cover over that amp which I put on when not in use, that cover is just a quilted pillow case but does an excellent job at stopping dust from getting on the BHSE.

image.thumb.jpeg.edec026ce314e6da94b9ece

The second photo is to show the gap between the top of the tubes, to the bottom of the top shelf which is just under 4".

I find that is ample room for ventilation, but when I eventually get a KGSSHV Carbon I'll be putting that BHSE on the top shelf, and the Carbon will go where the BHSE is. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8102f89693b0875cd144ab7

Edited by Dave R
  • Like 1

I don't know if I'm so keen on putting a towels/pillowcover/sheet over the BHSE.  It looks a bit funny.  Maybe if I can find a black one. 

10 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Probably a daft question Shelly - but why not put the BHSE on the top shelf?

There is some white dust all over, I think it is from the cement ceilings and I don't want it to directly fall into the amp. 

37 minutes ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Understood Shelly.  Did you see my earlier post about Digital Deck Covers?  Quilted black looks good (that is what I bought for my Thorens record deck), but you can have a range of colours and any custom size you specify..

Yes, it would be great to get something like this.  I'm just not sure about a similar place in the US.  I am not even sure they ship to the US.

http://www.sora-shop.com/Shipping-Rates?sCoreId=3c4bd54e9beb9f59bb78589136ba739c

19 minutes ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Digital Deck Covers *is* in the US

Yeah, but as far as I can tell everything they sell is fabric, not plastic.  

23 minutes ago, skullguise said:

http://www.jmkdisplays.com/cases.html

Google Acrylic Display Covers (or cases)

I did a google search but I am reluctant to buy something from a random company (some people claim that some of the products are pretty crappy) on the internet so it will take more searching. 

JMK displays seems pretty good though. 

Edited by shellylh

I just started to put the Salamander rack together and my hands are completely covered in dirt and grease.  I feel like its going to be quite difficult to get this put together without getting grease everywhere.  Not good.  Thinking of sending it back and then trying to figure out what to do after that. 

Maybe getting a quiet fan and pointing it at the BHSE when it's on.

:(

Also some of the paint is also getting stripped of the rods, just putting one nut on.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458518960.525243

I'm not worried about it getting on my hands Graim.  I don't want it to get all over my carpet and clothing when putting it together.  Also, it's going to be very hard to get all the grease cleaned out of the threaded rod so I'll continue to get to potentially get grease on my clothing. 

Edited by shellylh