DIY cable gallery

Grand Enigma

• 2 weeks later...

Got some work done on a project last night, some custom jumpers for a friend's speakers. Each is 4 strands of hand-braided Neotech UPOCC 22ga copper terminated with Furutech banana plugs.

100893281.jpg

100893275.jpg

The accompanying speaker cables are done, but I won't post pictures of those until the owner sees them. :)

i are in market for 7 speaker cables for my home movies. i heard sukkitaloo was the way 2 go. i am looking for speaker cable that will cost less than 20 dollurs, are very small to appreciate wife, and made with fancy wire and with fancy covering. i are also hearing that vampire spades are good. you can help plz?

Oh hell no, I'm perfectly content with the level of interest (none) there is in my cables.

ur no ta real cable maker real cable maker start with good photo skills and then take nice pics pretnding to do for diy community at low cost but then later get rich with many order because of website whic is like a photo album they either sell cable that can hold dumbells and then buy a big amp and go permanently brb or sell cables by the foot like for 160 and then reverse the name of technology to make new technology like free copper oxygen cables or copper sleeved super nylon cable then everyoens like zomg it beats those other established cable mfrs.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and recently acquired a Duet to use as a DAC with my Mac Mini for a music server. I've seen the cool cables you all have made to replace the stock break-out cable.

A friend has offered to make me an output cable with a d-sub connector on one end and 2 RCAs on the other. I showed him the pin-out and he asked me to confirm which pins on the d-sub to use for what.

If anyone can supply this information, I would be grateful.

Thanks for your help.

Sue

Hi grawk,

Thanks for the info. I showed it to him and he thinks for the positives he needs to use pin 5 for one channel and pin 15 for the other. Is that correct? Also, he doesn't know which pin is right and which is left.

He also doesn't know which pins to use for the negatives (or is it grounds, I don't know) and which one of those is left and which is right.

Thanks again,

Sue

Serious?

He offered to make the cable as a favor to me but he's used to following a schematic.

He's an experienced DIY guy but he's never worked with pro gear. In his spare time, he built his entire system (except the turntable and CD transport) from scratch in the 400 square foot shop he built from the ground up in his back yard. Oh, and it sounds great.

That includes interconnects, speaker cables, SET monoblocks, push-pull tube monoblocks, tube preamp, tube DAC, tube phono stage, speakers, stands, external crossovers and a sub for each channel. All in beautiful chassis trimmed with African Mahogany and other hardwoods he milled himself. Then there's the gorgeous hardwood rack he designed and built himself.

He's also a great cook and makes about 10 varieties of excellent beer. For his last project, he tore out a 40-year old furnace in his house and put in a new one.

I could go on but you get the idea.

:)

Sue

Serious?

He offered to make the cable as a favor to me but he's used to following a schematic.

He's an experienced DIY guy but he's never worked with pro gear. In his spare time, he built his entire system (except the turntable and CD transport) from scratch in the 400 square foot shop he built from the ground up in his back yard. Oh, and it sounds great.

That includes interconnects, speaker cables, SET monoblocks, push-pull tube monoblocks, tube preamp, tube DAC, tube phono stage, speakers, stands, external crossovers and a sub for each channel. All in beautiful chassis trimmed with African Mahogany and other hardwoods he milled himself. Then there's the gorgeous hardwood rack he designed and built himself.

He's also a great cook and makes about 10 varieties of excellent beer. For his last project, he tore out a 40-year old furnace in his house and put in a new one.

I could go on but you get the idea.

:)

Sue

:useless:

My second/third Apogee Duet breakout cable. Made two of these: one for recording one for play back. They look identical. I kept the total length short (I bought a long firewire cable).

Wire is 24 guage UPOCC Nate sold me. The Sub-D 9-pin is from RadioShack and this time it has a metal hood. The RCA's are Cardas SRCA.

Nylon sleeving from Nate. Heat shrink from Fry's. Cardas solder from parts express (about a year ago they had a good price, believe it or not).

The omnipresent glare of my first try (Canare starquad) is gone. I like these cables. I like working with solid core. I had fun making these.

Now I've got to get to work recording some vinyl and VHS hi-fi.

bo0.jpg

bo1.jpg

I filed down (with dremmel) the sub-d hood's metal lip so its flush with the connector. Unlike my first attempt, these are now solid.

bo2.jpg

bo3.jpg

Finally got around to building myself a Senn cable. :-[

10' 4-wire braid of 22ga Neotech UPOCC wrapped in nylon multifilament and terminated with the Cardas connectors and Neutrik HD 4-pin XLR. I also built a matching adapter for use with normal amps. :)

The Neotech wire is quite nice. Looks good Nate. The Apex wire I had made is a close cousin to the Neotech stuff. Sadly I found out today that it wont fit the Cardas plugs without me modifying the opening to make them a bit larger ;)