Dynamic amp? / 2nd to main Stax rig / small / $300-$600ish?

s1rrah

actually i found the hd800 wasn't the best pairing with the g-lite. it was sufficient, don't get me wrong, but I could easily crank up the volume to full blast. felt like i needed more powah.

could just be me, but the beta was a better match.

Simple fix for that, MOAR gain.  :)

I think there's a pair of RS-2s available in the HC family for short money.

That's interesting to me cause I quite liked the RS1's.

But OCD wouldn't let me buy something numerically designated as "2" when there is a "1" option sitting next to it.

Queer but true...

I quite liked the RS1's, though ... just a tad nitpicky in the high freq area. Also why I enjoy the PS500's so much ... seems Grado really hamstrung the highs in the PS500 ..., which, though a tad unnatural, makes it a much more forgiving listen than the RS variants (or any other Grado for that matter...barring the PS1000).

PS500 might be where I end up.

;-) 

DT880!

That's an option too ... and they would certainly be counterpoint to the stats on my desk.

My roommate has T1's and I quite enjoy borrowing them on occasion. Nicely colored and detailed and fun. Haven't spent too much time with the 880's but have read a lot about them ... 

Maybe you should consider Grado HF-2 headphones, especially those that read "Head-Fi" rather than "Head-F1".  I haven't listened to mine for over a year and would consider selling them.

This. Besides Joe Grado's designs and the PS-1, the HF-2 is my favorite Grado, though I haven't listened to the PS-500.

That's interesting to me cause I quite liked the RS1's.

But OCD wouldn't let me buy something numerically designated as "2" when there is a "1" option sitting next to it.

Queer but true...

Especially weird since the amp that you just purchased is at the bottom of the desktop range.  I'm not trying to convince you to buy the 2's over the 1's just point out that your logic is pretty haphazardly applied apparently.  I've never heard the PS500s but I'd second the recommendation of the HF2s if you can find a pair reasonably priced.  They were my favorite not vintage Grado but really in the $500 price range there are a lot of choices. 

What species counterpoint most closely relates to what you're looking for vs. cantus firmus Stax? Will you actually be playing both headphones together? If so, how will you manage to fit both headphones on your ears at the same time, and what of amp counterpoint?

I consider headphone species to be more different than amp species. And much more influential, regarding sound,....

And, of course I won't be wearing all the headphones together and at the same time (you fucking dunce) .. 

And as counterpoint to my stax cans?

Hmm ...

Beyer T1's or Grado GS1000's both come to mind ...

Both of which are way less "flat" sounding. Both of which, too, are outside of my price range.

But they are good examples of what I am looking for. And they are both nice counterpoint to the sort of mid centric, flat sounding Stax cans that I have.

Spendy, though ... 

PS500's are looking good ... 

• Like 1

ah, so as a counterpoint to good sounding musical stax, you want horrid dynamics?

Yeah ... hilarious and inane as it may truly be ... I really do want that. ;-)

(I tried to "like" your post but the forum won't let me)

Edited by s1rrah

If anything orthos are what I'd consider to be a counterpoint to the Stax sound. Many however do suffer from bad ergonomics and build quality. I'm using the Paradox, which is quite comfortable and not too heavy. I consider it to be a small upgrade from the HD600/650 (which are terrific headphones and trounce most Grados, not that it's especially hard).

The GilLite should have no problem driving them because it likes high current workloads.

If anything orthos are what I'd consider to be a counterpoint to the Stax sound. Many however do suffer from bad ergonomics and build quality. I'm using the Paradox, which is quite comfortable and not too heavy. I consider it to be a small upgrade from the HD600/650 (which are terrific headphones and trounce most Grados, not that it's especially hard).

The GilLite should have no problem driving them because it likes high current workloads.

I'm going to read a bit about that headphone (Paradox) as I know nothing about it.

I'm curious about the HE-500's as well ... thought have never heard them and know nobody who has them. They look awful huge and heavy, though ... 

I've spent quite a bit of time with the HD800 and it's just too approximate to the Stax cans I have. Not to mention the price tag... 

Don't get me wrong ... I was very impressed with the HD800's ... just not the "stax counterpoint" I'm shooting for with this budget, dynamic build.

I'm looking for cans in the $500 and less range ... shopping mostly used on forums and what not.

So far, I'm really intrigued by the HE-500's (which I've never heard) ... and also .. the Shure 1840's (which I've never heard) ... the Grado PS500's are a no brainer as I've borrowed Shelly's in the past and I quite like them as an all around, go-to can. But I'm intrigued by trying something new ...

They both have qualities I appreciate ... 

I'd say the HE-500 are the best bang for the buck, after the HD600.  I highly recommend them in your budget.  The Lyr or M3 would be a great small amp for them too.

I'd say the HE-500 are the best bang for the buck, after the HD600.  I highly recommend them in your budget.  The Lyr or M3 would be a great small amp for them too.

I might try them from an Amazon source that allows returns should I not like them. And I've already got the Gilmore Lite, which I'm also assuming would work fine with the HE500's ...