Focal Utopia headphones...with Beryllium driver

mtoc

13 hours ago, johnwmclean said:

Instead of using a simple LM7815/7915 circuit feeding the LV lines it can be replaced with Kevins Golden Reference Low Voltage power supply (GRLV) which has much less noise.

Is the noise difference measurable? I have enough room in my Carbon to add a GRLV, but wonder if it's worth the hassle.

6 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Isn't it ? Works for me . 

Says the man who owns one of the few headphones that can do it.

I want to hear these for a few weeks in my system, but this is the first dynamic since the HD800 I'm really excited about.  I thought I was beyond hype, but I ain't.  I wish they weren't $4000.

43 minutes ago, Sherwood said:

Says the man who owns one of the few headphones that can do it.

I want to hear these for a few weeks in my system, but this is the first dynamic since the HD800 I'm really excited about.  I thought I was beyond hype, but I ain't.  I wish they weren't $4000.

I'd like to hear them, a little.  I have no interest in "upgrading" my very comfortable and great sounding HD800 for a tiny improvement that I might or might not really be able to hear.  I especially have no interest in paying around $3200 (cost of Utopia minus what I might be able to get from selling my HD800) for the privilege of "upgrading".

I will say that there are better deals than MSRP out there if you search. There is no way I would have spent $4,000 on the Utopia, good as it is.

It is quite a departure from the HD800/800S.

If you've been using the Senn as a daily driver, the smaller soundstage of the Utopia does take some getting used to. That being said, my Utopia "demoted" my 800S to office duty.

26 minutes ago, gepardcv said:

Interesting. And tempting.

I don't have room for another transformer in the case. Would the 16-0-16 VCT 500mA winding I currently use to power the 7815/7915 be adequate to drive the GRLV for +/-15V outputs?

just populate the middle bridge and you'd be good

9 minutes ago, Dusty Chalk said:

Apparently no one else would neither, eBay has zero history of them ever being sold.

I need to sell mine , I never listen to them.  But yes , as of yet , I still have them.

I think they are the rarest of any Grado beside that "free-style" system.  Should be able to bring in $3K to 4k.  I remember John Grado was listing them on ebay at $3500 couple of years back and he sold like five or six pairs of them.  I would rather keep the L3000 instead of the PS-1 however.