Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Maybe what you want is a UMPC rather than a netbook, but that is more expensive at the moment. The keyboard is just too small on a netbook that has a smaller form factor. I am writing on the Wind at the moment at a reasonable speed without problems.

Seems to me that a 12" netbook stops being an ultraportable, tho. From my perspective, the 8" form factor is almost perfect. By the time you're at 12", either get an old powerbook, or go to a 13" macbook...

I agree that 12" is starting to get too big for portability. The 10" Asus has become my go to laptop. The 13" touchscreen is very, very lonely.

Unfortunately time will not permit me to be the one making use of this wood. But pics will certainly be posted when I've got the cabinets and started assembly.

:prettyprincess: Hooray, another speaker DIYer. I would love to see all the step by step pics, since my own journey was such a debacle. I will also be really interested in your impressions of the single driver world once those are done. What will you be using for hookup wire and speaker posts? any internal dampening tweaks? Have you thought about a bronze cast or lazer etched metal logo ala the Moth?

419lewALiEL._AA280_.jpg

Stanley 3-in-1 LED flashlight

Pretty cool -- when they're together, the switches are synchronized so that any one of them turn all 3 on or off; when they're not, they're individualized

Freaky, an LED flashlight hydra. Does it run on AAs or AAAs? I wonder how the battery life is. I have a 3C cell Maglite I've been meaning to convert to LED.

Each one takes 2 AA's, so 6 total.

Re: battery life -- that's one of the reasons I got it -- LED's are much more efficient. I have some LED lights that I got from Ikea that -- after I unplug them (they're outlet powered with no batteries) -- visibly take several seconds to die down. I'm going to freecycle all my other flashlights (no, I don't have any worth sending anywhere).

:prettyprincess: Hooray, another speaker DIYer. I would love to see all the step by step pics, since my own journey was such a debacle. I will also be really interested in your impressions of the single driver world once those are done. What will you be using for hookup wire and speaker posts? any internal dampening tweaks? Have you thought about a bronze cast or lazer etched metal logo ala the Moth?

I'll be using 18ga Neotech for the internal hookup wire. I might dampen the box with either some acoustic foam or maybe a few sheets of ice and water shield. Not really sure. The cabinet is being constructed of all 3/4" material so it should be pretty solid and will be using an aperiodic vent at Craig's recommendation given the small .6cuft size. It may be huge fail, who knows, going to give it a try though and see what happens. Logo may come later if it doesn't sound like a complete turd.

I like my maglite, specifically because it takes D batteries; makes for a nice self defense weapon to keep in the car :)

Try updating it by replacing the bulb with high intensity LEDs, you will be shocked and pleased with the improvement. (teralux)

I'll be using 18ga Neotech for the internal hookup wire. I might dampen the box with either some acoustic foam or maybe a few sheets of ice and water shield. Not really sure. The cabinet is being constructed of all 3/4" material so it should be pretty solid and will be using an aperiodic vent at Craig's recommendation given the small .6cuft size. It may be huge fail, who knows, going to give it a try though and see what happens. Logo may come later if it doesn't sound like a complete turd.

If you're using the Scan Speak vents and haven't purchased them already, I have a set I'd like to let go :)

If you're using the Scan Speak vents and haven't purchased them already, I have a set I'd like to let go :)

Thanks for the offer but I'm all set. They were on back order for forever this summer (when I first started planning this) so I ordered them, forgot I ordered them, and all of a sudden they showed up in the middle of the fall. Gotta love packages like that. "What the hell is this? Oh wait, yeah, I remember that..."

All right. The pool for how long Mike keeps it starts now. I'll take 7 months, 3 days.
I thought we agreed we were going to hide these from Mike so that he can't be influenced by them.

I'll take 3 months, 19 days.

And what's the rule on over/under -- Price is Right ruling (closest without going over), or just closest?

"Bidding" closes as soon as he receives it.