Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

congrats Velo and Torpedo nice buys

I bought a different torque wrench because the first one I ordered appears to never have shipped and also a new expanded set of sockets for said wrench to cover a wider range of bike parts. I also bought new parts for my Specialized S-Works Pro shoes because my damn dog thought they tasted good. :palm:

Yep, I suppose, and it shouldn't be very expensive if it must not be a custom order. IIRC Birgir posted some pics (or has them) showing the trafo primaries so with a bit of soldering it should be possible to use the stock trafo at 230V. However we won't be sure this unit has the same trafo as the one Birgir knows until it arrives :rolleyes:

well, i had an aging bow fund that never seemed to have enough money in it to do anything useful... so I spent half of it, and let my wife have the other half for new house stuff.

Funny thing, mpwi is that they claim to have various weights. I was sorta surprised by this, but they have to be requested from the factory. I choose 60g, because I've always had lighter bows (56-58g). I wanted to try this because my right hand technique (okay, swt61 I see you over there) pretty much has gone down hill since I haven't been playing much. So much so, that I wanted something that is sort of even across various spectra. Also, I've always been a "right shoulder shrugger" (sort of elevate and compress my right shoulder) and don't seem to really use my natural arm weight to draw sound from the instrument. I'm sort helping that a change in scenery will help me focus on this more.

well, i had an aging bow fund that never seemed to have enough money in it to do anything useful... so I spent half of it, and let my wife have the other half for new house stuff.

Funny thing, mpwi is that they claim to have various weights. I was sorta surprised by this, but they have to be requested from the factory. I choose 60g, because I've always had lighter bows (56-58g). I wanted to try this because my right hand technique (okay, swt61 I see you over there) pretty much has gone down hill since I haven't been playing much. So much so, that I wanted something that is sort of even across various spectra. Also, I've always been a "right shoulder shrugger" (sort of elevate and compress my right shoulder) and don't seem to really use my natural arm weight to draw sound from the instrument. I'm sort helping that a change in scenery will help me focus on this more.

60g is good and average, which will be great since you will get used to the weight of the majority of bows which will make trying out others much easier. 56g is too light imo. I remember trying a Lamy that was 56g and it was practically unusable for me. The new (pernambuco) bows are for some reason usually heavier than the older ones, maybe because players nowadays prefer more strength. And there's also weight distribution, which matters just as much as weight. I see that you have not forgotten good posture, which is really half the battle in playing violin.:) Do try to loosen your right shoulder and keep it down at all times and rely on the weight of your arm instead of pressing down with physical strength. The violin is a very delicate instrument and must be treated as such, even when you want to play loudly.

Nice. Which other cars did you consider? We are going to move on from minvan stage here soon, and I need to look at a few options.

Just about everything in that size category.

Audi Q5 too small, Audi Q7 doesn't really compare price wise.

Cadillac SRX too small and has a horrible blind spot. I really liked the dash layout though.

Infinity-Not enough cargo room on all but the QX56, with the QX being too large

Lexus RX350- Nice ride but a bit on the small side. Third row and larger size on MDX a plus

Lexus GS460- Bigger size a plus but to much like a truck

Lincoln MKX not bad but they are totally redoing it for next year. MKT cool car but just too ugly

Porsche Chayenne Best driver of the bunch (no shit) but you don't really get much else. Wife actually really liked it and said we could get the Turbo S if I drive her old Subaru. One of the most tempting deals she has ever made. But I hate the Subaru.

Volvo XC90 The car we were originally going to get. Pretty much the same car for the last 8 years. All around not bad but again they have not kept up with the times

Didn't really consider the Merc or BMW.

We loved everything about the MDX except the looks. It's growing on us but I still think there is better looking vehicles out there. We also came to the conclusion there is no perfect vehicle (almost like buying a house). As nice and loaded as the MDX is it still isn't perfect. Three big things missing for me is no rain sensing wipers, still uses a key to start, and no On-Star. Not deal breakers but I think the first two should definitely be included.

Edited by naamanf

Porsche Chayenne Best driver of the bunch (no shit) but you don't really get much else. Wife actually really liked it and said we could get the Turbo S if I drive her old Subaru. One of the most tempting deals she has ever made. But I hate the Subaru.

Damn, that's a good deal. Is the Subaru really that bad?

Thanks for that rundown, Naaman, it is very helpful. I am thinking about the Lexus RX 450H hybrid that is about to come out, in part because I have the sedan and like it. I am assuming that the bigger Lexus is the GX460 and it does seem like a big truck. Did you drive a Q7? I've had a couple Audis and had very good luck with them.

Volvo XC90 The car we were originally going to get. Pretty much the same car for the last 8 years. All around not bad but again they have not kept up with the times.
We drove an XC90 until last year and were crazy about it. Well, my wife was. It was too big-feeling for me, but that's my fault and not the car's.

Our newest is the XC60, the XC90's smaller cousin. It's their newest model and has darn near everything*. So Volvo definitely has the tech - we're driving it - and hopefully they'll get around to updating the rest of the line sooner rather than later.

* Yes rain sensing, yes keyless start, not sure about On Star since I wasn't paying attention for that but maybe we have something like it here under a different name.

Plus a bunch more features, some of which I haven't seen elsewhere. It has radar all over the place, lane sensing, and something called 'city safety' that jams on the brakes for you if you're in stop-and-go traffic and start to drift into the car in front while your mind wanders. Apparently this is some statistically worthwhile chunk of all damage-causing accidents (I think it might have been 15% or something) and the system is tuned so it triggers only in very specific situations and also so that when it does trigger, it's no fun (we were encouraged to try it in our demo ride and I can confirm this): they don't want you using the automated brakes as a substitute for actually driving the car.

The car radar also tells you when someone's approaching in your blind spots, and it talks to the adaptive cruise control so you don't have to keep adjusting your speed as traffic ahead closes in or accelerates away. The backup assist has a video camera with superimposed "here's where you're about to be" guide overlays, plus proximity warning indicators courtesy of more sonar or radar. Some of this stuff isn't unique these days, I know. But overall this thing is really an impressive package of tech.

You have been buying and selling much in the way of excellent gear. The force is strong with you.

Well once Voltron called me out for having a measly G-lite w/ DPS I had to man up and get a GS-1 :)

Congrats on getting a pair - should sound lovely out of your incoming GS-1!

Thanks. I still can't believe I got him on the phone twice today.

Edited by veloaudio
I cant fuking type