Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Also, I think I've seen KGSS with both pro and normal bias sockets. Or am I just making up a memory again?

I do enjoy my fake memories. :)

They do exist. Creating a normal bias supply is as simple as pie. A voltage doubler was the Stax way but there are others.

One case of Justin Isosceles, One case of Lewis Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, four bottles of Kosta Brown Pinot, two bottles of Kistler Chardonay, and more this weekend when I get my allocation notice, (I hope).

.....and that is why I don't have more expensive speakers and sources.

No tubes in a b22.

That's for the rhombus.

Actually, based on recent activities (namely this friggen PS) the project requires re-naming. What was once rather simple has now become a good deal more complex.

This development actually means that the beta is getting moth-balled for at least a couple months. :'(

Actually, based on recent activities (namely this friggen PS) the project requires re-naming. What was once rather simple has now become a good deal more complex.

This development actually means that the beta is getting moth-balled for at least a couple months. :'(

The rhombus implies a very complex and intricate attempt to fight off the evil lizard king :)

ya, but the tubes are rectifier for a psu, which the beta22 isn't (it's an amplifier), so this is somewhat non sequitor. A beta22 with a tube rectified and choke loaded power supply would definitely be doable and cool...

True enough, you could certainly do it but you'd have an awfully hard time supplying the kind of current the beta22 wants with a tube/choke PS.

not with those puny 5AR4s and Hammond chokes, that's for sure. How about some WE314A and Lundahl LL1638 with parallel coils? >:D

Hey, go for it, it just strikes me as enough of a waste that it's not worth thinking very hard about. The sigma22 is probably the most sophisticated SS PS out there right now and probably outperforms just about anything you could do with tubes.

Hey, go for it, it just strikes me as enough of a waste that it's not worth thinking very hard about. The sigma22 is probably the most sophisticated SS PS out there right now and probably outperforms just about anything you could do with tubes.

granted :) I was just nit-picking grawk... as for the sigma22, I'd probably disagree, case in point being the totally overkill, John Curl wannabe shunt regulated designs. That hasn't stopped me from building a bunch of sigma22s though!

I went to a local hi-fi shop after lunch and bought myself a pair of Paradigm Atom v5 monitors. This is my first purchase of real speakers. Up to this point, I've only bought computer speakers. No pics yet as I am in the office and the speakers are still in the box. I also demo-ed a B&W monitors (don't know the model) that cost a little over $500. I loved the sound and finish on the B&W monitors, but the Paradigm offered a great value at $300, IMHO.

The Atom will be connected to a Denon system that I bought ten years ago. I'm also going to run an input from my computer to the receiver, so it will pull duty. The speakers will be placed on my desk.

I think they were the B&W 686. While the B&W had better slightly better bass, separation, and overall smoothness (liquidity?) than the Paradigm, the Atom performed very well. In fact, when I asked the salesman to switch the speakers from the B&W to the Paradigm, on more than one occasion, it was hard to notice the change, and I walked up to the speakers to confirm the switch was made.

In the end, I chose the Atom because it offered a more upfront sound than the B&W without being harsh, and given the price difference (nearly $600 for the B&W compared to $300 for the Paradigm), I couldn't justify the small difference in performance and build quality.

Originally, I was thinking about ordering one of the following from vendors on Audiogon. They were all priced $250-$300.

- Psb Image B25

- Monitor Audio Bronze B2

- Epos ???

They all received very good reviews, but given my zero experience with speakers, I thought paying a little more by buying local would be better than buying without hearing them.

A desk!

It's a Salamander desk with an audio rack integrated. I believe it is out of production. It's a small desk (5 ft wide, about 20 inches deep), and originally I used it at my office. After I picked up a Boltz rack, I brought this home and it works well for me. The best part is that I picked it up cheap on CL ($35 or $50, iirc). Salamander's price is just the media drawer alone is $100 new.

Sorry about the photo quality.

The stereo system is a Denon Personal Component System D-700. My wife and I bought this from Good Guys (I didn't know better then) soon after we got married, so that would put it at about eleven years ago. We paid $900 so it wasn't cheap. A few years ago, after being in storage, one of the speakers went bad so dumbass me just threw the pair away. Again, I plead I didn't know better at the time. The stereo sat in the house unused without speakers for several years until I finally bought the Paradigm yesterday.

I have a Sansui 8080 receiver coming in a week or so. I had thought about building a modest speaker system around it but I decided to revive the Denon system and take the Sansui to work to use with my turntable.

2008-02-08__003.JPG?imgmax=512

2008-02-08__004.JPG?imgmax=512

2008-02-08__005.JPG?imgmax=512