Jump to content

Recommended Posts

swt61    5,527

I love Omegas and that one is beautiful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
swt61    5,527

That band is perfect for it! 

I'm weird (that's not news) because I've always preferred an Omega to a Rolex. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EdipisReks1    938
4 minutes ago, swt61 said:

That band is perfect for it! 

I'm weird (that's not news) because I've always preferred an Omega to a Rolex. 

You aren't weird.  Omega makes wonderful watches, and this '69 is as good as my '68 Rolex.  I have always had trouble with this watch, though.  Obviously I love my pre-moon Moonwatch, but it has always been an issue for me, having it fit just right.  The bracelet that came with it has been problematic (it grabs arm hair), and I never found a leather strap that I absolutely loved,  even with custom straps, and I never found a Milanese style strap I loved with it.  I love this strap.  I think it's perfect, like you say.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EdipisReks1    938

Well, so much for the Omega.  Condensation showed up inside the crystal, this morning.  Having the watch sit in silica gel with the crown open didn't fix it, so off to ABC Watchwerks.  They are going to let me pay whenever I'm able to, which is awfully nice, but it means I won't have it on my wrist for at least a month.  My guess is a gasket is already going (seems kinda soon, since it was serviced when I bought it, Spring 2015).  I was soaked by a sudden rainstorm a few days ago.  I dried the watch off completely before activating any of the complications (I think I timed something Friday, so it was perfectly dry), and that is the only time I know the watch encountered significant moisture since I bought it.

Edited by EdipisReks1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bjarnetv    136

that sucks, hope it was just some slight condensation, and nothing serious.

i had the gaskets changed on my old seiko diver three years ago, but one week later, it looked like this after a swim:IMG_0177.thumb.jpg.5e0a091e9a4ed312bc6346e24fc88732.jpg:

I was on a holiday in Egypt at the time, and the result was a rusty movement and lots of blemishes on the dial.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EdipisReks1    938

Well, Pieces of Time, who I bought the watch from, is going to take a look at it for me for free.  That's a load off my mind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EdipisReks1    938
On 8/12/2017 at 8:09 PM, bjarnetv said:

that sucks, hope it was just some slight condensation, and nothing serious.

i had the gaskets changed on my old seiko diver three years ago, but one week later, it looked like this after a swim:IMG_0177.thumb.jpg.5e0a091e9a4ed312bc6346e24fc88732.jpg:

I was on a holiday in Egypt at the time, and the result was a rusty movement and lots of blemishes on the dial.

 

The brown lume plots put my teeth on edge.  I do hope whoever serviced that watch paid for repairs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bjarnetv    136

The process to have it serviced in the first place was a real clusterfuck, and at the time i didn't have the energy to go back there and start a fight over whose fault it was.
It was an old watch, so i guess there was no guarantee it would be properly waterproof, even with new gaskets.

 

still have it laying in bottom of my bedside drawer, but it needs a new non rusty movement to be brought back to life.

Edited by bjarnetv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EdipisReks1    938
3 hours ago, bjarnetv said:

The process to have it serviced in the first place was a real clusterfuck, and at the time i didn't have the energy to go back there and start a fight over whose fault it was.
It was an old watch, so i guess there was no guarantee it would be properly waterproof, even with new gaskets.

Well, I mean, there is no guarantee that a time traveling dinosaur won't sit on your bicycle tomorrow.  Old watches can be made waterproof the same way new ones can.  The watchmaker fucked up.  That sounds shitty all around, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bjarnetv    136

Yeah, no doubt about it.

Had it happened now i would have rolled up my sleves and demanded a free repair, but when it happened i was so fed up with everything i just though fuck it, and went on with my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hopstretch    8,176

This is actually a profound strategy for finding contentment in many areas!

Sorry about the watch though.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grahame    5,029
55 minutes ago, Hopstretch said:

This is actually a profound strategy for finding contentment in many areas!

Indeed.

Feeling bad about feeling bad, may make you feel bad worse. So don't.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28703602

" Overall, these results suggest that individuals who accept rather than judge their mental experiences may attain better psychological health, in part because acceptance helps them experience less negative emotion in response to stressors."

Edited by Grahame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
swt61    5,527

This would be my first watch after striking it rich.

Omega-Speedmaster-Broad-Arrow-Black-Dial.jpg

And second...

Omega-Aqua-Terra-Grey-Dial-Watch-729x1024.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
swt61    5,527

I actually had a Cher watch! But I broke it while turning the dial backward. My thinking was "If I could turn back time". ;)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mypasswordis    577

“All worldly pursuits have but one unavoidable and inevitable end, which is sorrow; acquisitions end in dispersion; buildings in destruction; meetings in separation; births in death.” :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
swt61    5,527
7 hours ago, mypasswordis said:

“All worldly pursuits have but one unavoidable and inevitable end, which is sorrow; acquisitions end in dispersion; buildings in destruction; meetings in separation; births in death.” :) 

Morrissey?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×