Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Finally successfully installed the OS5 in this very situation on an ipod touch. However in my case, for some reason, iTunes could not find my back up, so I have to manually install every app and music from scratch on the ipod. Luckily, the apps were on my iTunes library, so that ease things up. It would have been major suckage if I had had to download them again....

So it actually lost connection with the server while in recovery mode so I was fored to do a factory restore which actually installed IOS 5 and then restored my data, apps and settings from my backup. Kinda weird but at least I have it on my iPad now.

At least they've updated the error message now to indicate that what is happening is that the update server is not available. Seems odd that the update server would need to much of anything after the 700MB download which I've already completed. Those seeing long wait times, mine started at 4hrs and finished in 30minutes.

What the fuck is this? My apple ID, which has existed just fine since, I don't know, 2002 now has to be an email address and Apple is telling me that my email address is already in use by another account? WTF, I'm pretty sure that yes, it's in use by the account that I'm trying to log in with.

Epic Fail, Apple.

Edit - it get's better, my account has been "disabled for security reasons".

How did you fix the account issue, Nate?

I had to go to apple's website and not through the link provided in the iPad setup. Once I was able to log in on Apple's site it informed me that my account was disabled and that I needed to reactivate it. This is pretty weird since I literally downloaded an app within the last few days without issue. Reactivating the account meant having a confirmation email sent and replying to it. Not bad once Apple's site started responding again but I'm guessing that this among other things has traffic way up.

Now that I've got ios5 on the iPad it hardly seems worth the effort. The notification center is nowhere near as informative or useful as Android's and is actually the worst thing (visually) I've seen Apple produce in a long time. On the iPad it's the width of the phone which just looks wrong and despite adding several apps to be included in the NC they aren't showing up and none of their information is being displayed. Maybe it works better on the phone, but so far on the iPad it's not a value add and makes the experience worse.

For those that haven't upgraded, there are a few comments on the iPhone/iPad Notification differences here. "Widgets are, for some reason, not available at all on the iPad."

Yes, it makes no sense to include widgets on the device that they are most useful for...

Maybe they've got another plan for the iPad, but right now it's like its an afterthought to the phone and they should have just left NC off the iPad entirely. For something that took this long to even make in onto iDevices it's embarrassing to be this half baked.

What the fuck is this? My apple ID, which has existed just fine since, I don't know, 2002 now has to be an email address and Apple is telling me that my email address is already in use by another account? WTF, I'm pretty sure that yes, it's in use by the account that I'm trying to log in with. Epic Fail, Apple. Edit - it get's better, my account has been "disabled for security reasons".

Oh, and when this happens it's because Apple wont let you merge accounts.

Back in the very beginning Apple would let people create an Apple ID for the iTunes store that was merely a user ID and not an email address. Later they started making people use an email address. So there are two types of Apple ID out there - those that are not an email and those that are. Any .mac or me.com email address became an Apple ID, so you can't use that address anymore as the email address for your non-email ID (not allowed to merge accounts as above).

---

EDIT - just saw your more recent post, but I'm curious if they let you attach the "used" email address that belongs to another account with the other account that must be an email address? They have NEVER allowed that before, and it's a known issue.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

Almost 8 hours after I started, I'm finally done and have the damn phone working the way I want. I had an expired MobileMe account and that sure didn't help the process.

I may very well be imagining it at this point, but my phone feels bit snappier now. I'll see if I feel the same way later today when I've had some sleep.

BTW, I did some reading in advance of iCloud to see how things would go with families that had old .Mac or MobileMe acounts with multiple email address for the family pack. It's nice because each member of the family still gets their own iCloud address (their old MobileMe) while still being able to share a single iTunes store account for the music/apps, etc, but without having to pay $149/yr to get the 5 MobileMe accounts like before.

I've used my personal .Mac email address as our family's Apple ID for iTunes and other purchases since 2003, so I didn't get stuck with one ID for iTunes store and then a separate one as my .Mac address. But because they were one and the same ID, if I were to share the iTune store password with the kids so they could update their apps, then they'd also have access to my email, contacts, calendar, bookmark and everything else if they wanted it.

At the time I set up my iTunes store and .Mac account the kids were only 5, 8 and 10 years old, but I anticipated that someday I would want a separate ID and I bought two $10/yr .Mac email addresses for myself, before they discontinued giving those out. I gave one of them to my wife 2 years ago since we have the same first name initial and last name. But I can now convert the other address to an iCloud address, then move everything that I want to sync between devices to that email, and then remove my personal data from the ID that we share for the iTunes and App Store. I could still leave some shared contacts, or calendar appointments on that account.

We didn't buy the .Mac family pack until the kids and wife got iPhones in Feb 2009, so that they'd all have their own MobileMe adress to sync contacts, calendars and bookmarks to their iPhone. But when we do convert them all to iCloud ID's we can still use my old Apple ID for the shared "store" account purchases (so we can all still share the same music, TV, movies, apps and books through iCloud).

And, as each child moves out on their own and starts their own family, if we want to we can keep my iTunes store account authorized on their computer for playback, but they can use their own iCloud ID to buy and play their own private content. Apple has been letting us authorize one computer to play protected content from up to 5 different store accounts at the same time, such as your account and a couple of family members and friends. So, I can go to each of their computers and authorize them to play content without sharing my password, and they can still use their own ID for the store for everything new. I suspect the kids will want access to our legacy movies and TV and music, but wont be as keen to share.

Here is the biggest issue that I see with the iCloud transition. With iCloud we can have 10 devices on an account, which means with our 5 computers on iCloud we only have 5 slots left for iDevices, but we have 7 of those using iOS. I got the impression but am not 100% that we can still manually sync an unlimited amount of iOS devices by cable and iTunes, just not by iCloud which has a limit of 10.